safety/fire jacket for open track?

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
is a safety/fire jacket required for open track racing?
if so, or if ya'll just recommend them, which brand/model?

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I'm assuming by 'open track racing' you mean HPDEs. And no, most organizations require long sleeves, however at my last SCMC/TrackClub USA event, they allowed short sleeves.

MGC

Established Member
^ +1, most HPDE's require long sleeve cotton shirts and pants. I DO recommend a fire jacket though, nice to have in case something goes REALLY wrong, but hopefully it will never be put to use. I have a simpson jacket, it's comfortable and breathes well.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Might as well just buy the full hero suit aka driving suit, the jacket wont cut it when and if you make the move to wheel to wheel racing. Running just a coat is more for peace of mind but it leaves your legs S.O.L when and if you need fire protection.

Sirl

Established Member
Some clubs require a fire suit if you are in the advanced or HPDE 4 group.

Things have gotten even more lax down here in Florida... Short sleeve and shorts are allowed with most clubs.

Sandals next??

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
For HPDEs and most Time Trial racing, long sleeves and long pants. Generally, the decision to allow short sleeves is up to the track personnel depending upon weather.

-Kevin

NJ 03Mach1

Hillclimbers do it better
Established Member
I personally use only a jacket for OT events.

While running hillclimbs I use Jacket/Pants instead of a suit. Being on the top end of the large scale, I find it easier to move around and more comfy in those, rather then a suit.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Nope, even the gloves are just mechanics gloves.
IMG_1947_JPG.jpg

However when you get serious it is a good idea to run a full Nomex suit, gloves and shoes.
You guys remember this shot of Joe Johnson bailing out of his R when his vapor valve failed and his dumps heated up and pressurized his cell?

JoesburningY2KR.jpg

CP86SVO

Established Member
I wear Nomex coveralls, socks, gloves and balaclava when I opentrack. This allows me to wear shorts and a t-shirt when I'm sitting around waiting for the next run.

Users who are viewing this thread