IRS or SRA for street car with some OT time.

BajaBoy

Established Member
Really quick, I see that MM has a sale on the panhard bar system. I didnt do much research yet as i am still getting the drive train together but I like discounted parts.

car is a 97 cobra, and i planned on/Has some parts

-Dspec
-MM coilover in front
-MM CC plates
-H&R race springs rear
-MM panhardbar
-Possibly lower control arms in the future

Or should i swap to a stock irs?

My sra has 27s moser axels, (not sure of dif but aftermarket) and 4.10 which should be OK being as i have a t-56 out of a 03 and im running a 5.4dohc N/A engine.

Sorry if this question has been answered in which im positive it has been just looking for a super fast responce as im extremely busy today and the sale is over tonight.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I say stick with what you have. If you had no rearend in the car, then I would suggest an IRS. Since you already have the SRA, just use it and build it as you go.

My .02, still looking for some change.

-Kevin

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I say stick with what you have. If you had no rearend in the car, then I would suggest an IRS. Since you already have the SRA, just use it and build it as you go.

My .02, still looking for some change.

-Kevin

I agree. You are going to eat up may too much entry fee and brake pad money going IRS. Torque arm 96-98 Cobras can be very fast.

A 5.4 powered one will be a little nose heavy, but will still be very fun and not slow.

Fast and slow being relative terms within the Mustang world.
Mustangs simply are not ideal track vehicles.

BajaBoy

Established Member
I agree. You are going to eat up may too much entry fee and brake pad money going IRS. Torque arm 96-98 Cobras can be very fast.

A 5.4 powered one will be a little nose heavy, but will still be very fun and not slow.

Fast and slow being relative terms within the Mustang world.
Mustangs simply are not ideal track vehicles.

Awesome, SRA it is. And I hope this car is fun. I bought it with a blown motor and I have always wanted a 5.4 car without the R price tag. I am almost at stock 4.6 dohc nose weight, removed Everything that was not needed. Soon the battery will be relocated to the rear as well.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
What handles "better"? A stick-axle with a PHB, lowers, possibly a 3-link swap or an IRS?

What rides "better" on the street? A road course built stick-axle or a 'bushing-ed' IRS? (this one's easy)

What's "easier" to do? Adding a panhard bar and fixing quadrabind or removing the SRA, replacing bushings on an IRS and installing?

Which is "cheaper"? Haven't crunched the numbers thoroughly, but it could go either way. A discounted PHB, lowers, and a poor-man's 3-link may be cheaper than even a stock IRS swap. Conversely, an IRS with full bushings (Full Tilt Boogie Racing plug) and a pawned built SRA may be cheaper than a TAPHB+upgraded lowers. But, as with any project, motivation and funds are usually in shorter supply during the implementation phase than in the design phase. My buddy's TAPHB stick-axle (that may never get finished due to... you guessed it, motivation and funds) hasn't seen a minute of track time. However, it's done a great job of giving all its occupants severe kidney pain with coil-overs design for a TA... and no torque arm.

In short, you'll get a variety of answers, but I think I'm with Kevin - slowly improve what you've got. With multiple SRA Mustangs in your resume, you don't seem too concerned with the ride quality they provide on the street. But, I'm always up to hear about another IRS-swapped Mustang.

Users who are viewing this thread