03-cobra IRS & A DIFF COOLER QUESTIONS

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
hey guys i have a 03-cobra i bought some parts to make a diff cooler now my issue is how much "EXTRA DIFF FLUID " DO I NEED ?? also what kind of fluid is everybody using i`m using royal purple ( if there`s something better let me know please )

here`s my setup

FORE diff cover
Modine Aluminum Oil Cooler
Mocal #804 Gear Pump

i plan on open tracking my car & some auto-x & yes some drag racing cause there is soooo many drag strips vs. track days here in nashville,tn

i want to eventually make it out to diffrent tracks like VIR & bluegrass speedway

i want to thank you guys in advance for the help :beer: :rockon:

DevilSun

Established Member
I was under the impression you filled until it just started to come out the fill hole. Subbin' to find out if that's true or not. Got pics?

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I'm sorry, I started to reply and got sidetracked by what DevilSun said and your avatar.

I don't have a cooler, but I've been using Royal Purple in my diff and tranny for 5 years now (tracking the car for 8), and have had no problems. But I also don't have the power levels or rear heat you IRS guys do.

DevilSun

Established Member
The fluid should only be moving through the cooler when needed, unless you didn't use a thermostat and check valve. So once it's up to operating temp (or if you have a manual switch/override), fill it normally, run the pump, check again.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Josh:

This is what I do. I warm the diff up best I can with a 500w halogen light. Just let it shine on there for about a half an hour or so. Also warm up your diff fluid you're putting in so it pumps easier. Use the suction side of the pump to put fluid in the system.

Once you 'think' you have sufficient fluid in the system, take the suction line out of your bottle of lube and hook it back up to the system. Now run the pump to circulate the fluid and get the air out of the heat exchanger and lines. Turn off pump and open fill hole plug. If nothing comes out, suck more fluid into the system. If fluid comes out, let it come out till it stops.

Put plug back in and rock-n-roll!

Hope that helps.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

ammizabad

Established Member
where did u mount ur cooler and pump? and i suggest priming the pump with 12v hot wire and then filling to top of hole and if ur using the fore cover u will hav over flow catch can for any extra fluid

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
where did u mount ur cooler and pump? and i suggest priming the pump with 12v hot wire and then filling to top of hole and if ur using the fore cover u will hav over flow catch can for any extra fluid

I've got a 2000 Cobra R so that's not going to help you much.

diffpump&rad.JPG

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
thanks everybody !!!! :rockon: i`ll get some pics of mine today when i get home !!

thanks "oldman" for the thread i will be reading that today on lunch !!!

thanks bruce for the info & pics & my h/E is diffrent should i remount mine like that ??

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
also my biggest concern about the whole thing is where my drain is ! & it looks like it will be the lowest part of my car & the really bothers me ALOT !!!!! :eek:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Another vote for the Royal Purple Max Gear 75w140, I've been using it since 05, without a cooler or temp gauge.

I usually change it about every other season if I'm running more than one event a year.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
also my biggest concern about the whole thing is where my drain is ! & it looks like it will be the lowest part of my car & the really bothers me ALOT !!!!! :eek:

This is the LEAST of your concerns. I've been running mine there since 2003!

FWIW

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Mine has never hit on anything either. Mine is drilled right into the bottom of the diff housing and the plug still sticks out a little.

My MM K brace bolts have hit a few times along with the lip on the front bumper, but that's it.

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
Another vote for the Royal Purple Max Gear 75w140, I've been using it since 05, without a cooler or temp gauge.

I usually change it about every other season if I'm running more than one event a year.

yea thats the fluid i bought before we started the project but i didnt think it hurt to ask those kind of questions for other guy starting on this too !!

Mine has never hit on anything either. Mine is drilled right into the bottom of the diff housing and the plug still sticks out a little.

My MM K brace bolts have hit a few times along with the lip on the front bumper, but that's it.
ahhh ok !

This is the LEAST of your concerns. I've been running mine there since 2003!

FWIW

true :D

i found out that my x-pipe & cat back sits lower than the line now :D

also HOW MUCH FLUID DID YOU GUYS PUT IN YOUR COOLER SYSTEM ?

VNEMUS

Established Member
I was concerned about the "draw" fitting being mounted so low back on the pumpkin and the obstacle of having IRS exhaust in the way, so I ended up mounting the fitting at the 7 o'clock position on the differential cover at an angle. See the pics I just posted in the above referenced link.

Users who are viewing this thread