anybody have any steering mods?

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
so besides offset rack bushings- what are you guys doing to improve steering on our cars? I feel like the cars has no steering feel what so ever. my buddy has a manual rack and it feels great until he's trying to turn around, plus doesn't switching to manual rack affect your braking as well-like having to go manual with them too?

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Try the March Cobra R power steering pulley, it slows down the pump which does two things. Lessens the power steerings overcompensation which gives better feedback to the driver and lowers p/s fluid temps.

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
I feel the same way. Its like the wheel is almost too loose on the track. I almost want to swap my stock steering wheel for a smaller Grant or Momo wheel so I can get a better feel for the road but I'm not sure if this would really help. I may try the March pulley power steering pulley idea though, thanks!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Non offset Aluminum rack bushings.(there are better ways to fix bump steer than offset rack bushings, if that was the reason.)

A mod I don't have yet but know it works great and DO WANT!

Solid lower steering shaft.

:beer:EASY = -->Increased positive caster.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
After 7 years tracking with my circa 1998 steering shaft, I honestly feel one of the most noticeable changes I made was putting in a MM steering shaft. The old rag joint was completely shot and the car became positively twitchy. :D

Krwy

Established Member
I have solid steering rack bushings, made an aluminum rag joint for the stock steering shaft (same concept as the MM unit). Feels good, nothing to harsh though. I have a March Cobra R pulley that has been sitting for the last year about to get installed next.

Sirl

Established Member
After 7 years tracking with my circa 1998 steering shaft, I honestly feel one of the most noticeable changes I made was putting in a MM steering shaft. The old rag joint was completely shot and the car became positively twitchy. :D

My next mod as well.

01Cobra896

Established Member
I have a spare steering rack that I am about to rebuild. A friend of mine from Koln (Germany) gave me a few parts to help out. He is an engineer for Ford and designs suspension and steering systems. He says it will give better feedback as well as longer life. I will get some pics of the parts and post them up.

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
Solid steering shaft, offset AL bushings, March R P/S pulley, Bumpsteer kit. Goooooood stuff...........

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
Where can I get one of those march cobra r power steering pullies?? Also, what will a bumpsteer kit do (sorry for the ignorance...)?

Last edited:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I'd like to try one of the P/S pulleys. But I think it would fall into the category they have in NASA TT to cover underdrive pulleys. It would add a point I don't want to give up.

Section 6.4: A: C: 10: Replacement pulleys (other than for supercharger) or non-electrical fan removal +1

It's not adding power to the motor in any way, is it? I need to look into if I can argue that point.

Users who are viewing this thread