Wing Options?

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
I noticed my Steeda Wing started cracking on one side :(

what options are out there? functional options of course

just curious what I could upgrade to and just keep the Steeda for inspection purposes

wheelhopper

Established Member
I like the Steeda and Roush wings for the new edge Mustangs. Not sure if they are the best for downforce, but they have to be better than stock and they still look good. I always thought the '00R style wing was ugly.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I'm not sure how different the trunk contours are between the New Edge & S197, but you can find Trak Pak wings for about $700.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
For any wing to be really effective it has to be in the air flow. That's why high wings are used on most cars where the rules allow. Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. I think the wings on most American Iron cars look great. But I'd be self-consious driving on the street with one as it looks too much like a wannabe with a Honda all decked out in C/F.

I assume when you say you'll keep the Steeda for inspection that where you are doesn't allow big wings on the street? I know Switzerland doesn't allow motor racing, so that doesn't surprise me, but I would think Germany would allow them with all the performance cars that they produce. But then, maybe they don't want every BMW owner winging out their car for the Autobahn. LOL

That being said, with the DTM so active there, I would think there's lots of manufacturers of rear wings there, maybe not making them for the Mustang, but for functionality, just look at those. Then make sure whatever you choose is strong and reliable. We had a wing failure here at VIR last year that took out a car and guardrail, and the driver was lucky to walk away from.

And don't forget that downforce in back = up force in front. Plan on a bigger splitter than what you have I think.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
If you are going to do a wing and want it to be a serious functional and adjustable addition to the car, I would seriously think about a G-Stream wing and splitter combination.

Buy a junk yard V6 trunk, reinforce it and use that with the G-stream for track use. For the street just bolt your existing truck and wing back on and raise or remove the splitter.

G-Stream splitter: Competition Performance Products

splitter.jpg

G-Stream wing: Competition Performance Products

wing_tight.jpg

Competition Performance Products

As seen on original equipment 2012 Boss302 S Mustangs.

Also available here:
Tiger-Racing

tiger-racing-boss-302s-2.jpg

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
how functional is the Meier Racing Wing? first wing I see being ducktail style for open tracking other then Nascar

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
how functional is the Meier Racing Wing? first wing I see being ducktail style for open tracking other then Nascar

I'm not sure how functional it is as i dont currently own one...but it is very similar to the wing Grigg's Racing sells and I'm sure their's is proven to work well.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
The duck tail spoiler acts as an air dam on the rear of the car. Air piles up in front of the rear spoiler, filling the low pressure void above the trunk lid, by doing so it reduces the drag caused by the roof of the car.

LilRoush

M112'd Roush x2
Established Member
I'm not sure how different the trunk contours are between the New Edge & S197, but you can find Trak Pak wings for about $700.

Trak Pak wing is actually made by APR. If you don't need the Roush name on it, you can find them for half the price (sadly).

I ran a similar wing (same plane, different adjustment points) on my '98 for awhile before going back to the Steeda. I fell victim to that aweful feeling of a ricer look-a-like on the street with the tall wing. Steeda works ok and is much less attention getting while not on the track. I do miss the ability to adjust as needed, though.

LilRoush

M112'd Roush x2
Established Member
Low compared to what? It's more or less in the perfect spot to grab the air coming off the roofline.

rjw1

Established Member
Low compared to what? It's more or less in the perfect spot to grab the air coming off the roofline.

I don’t know if it’s the angle or what but the wing on the orange Bondurant car looks lower than the functional race wings I’m used to seeing on sn95 or new edge track/race cars………….

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
the APR wing on the blue car would be my favorite choice, but driving around with this kind of wing I would get pulled over all the time. I do still drive my car on the street.

I'm looking into a Cobra R wing, how functional is it really?
does Ford Racing still sell them?

LilRoush

M112'd Roush x2
Established Member
The R wing is very functional. I can't remember off the top of my head, but I'm sure some searching could confirm... I want to say it's well over 300 lbs downfoce at 120mph.

Users who are viewing this thread