Mach 1 Oil Pan

starnsey

Established Member
My 03 Mach 1 currently has an MMR 7 quart oil pan. It sits much too low for my comfort and as far as I know, is more suited for drag racing applications. I'm building my Mach to be more of a corner carver (it will have a full MM front end and has a built IRS with FTBR etc).

My question for you guys is what oil pan should I run? I know there are some road race options from Moroso and Canton but I've read some people have leaking issues with some of them. What are your recommendations? I'm looking for maximum ground clearance and wouldn't mind the extra capacity if you guys believe its good to have. If you think it doesn't make a big enough difference, I could go back to the stock oil pan based on y'all's recommendations.

Also, what all will I need to swap oil pans? Just the pan and the windage tray? What windage tray do I get to go along with the recommended oil pan? What else do I need for doing the swap?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

snakeraper11b

Established Member
You can never have enough oil capacity. Take all that you can get. The canton road race pan has trap doors and is sumped in a manor that incourages oil control and scavenging. IIRC t also increases capacity to 9 quarts. The only "downside" is, if you install it with a windage tray, as it's designed to be ran, special care has to be taken with rtv and gasket selection. You'll get some different suggestions on what works best as far as the rtv application and the stack of pan, gaskets and windage tray.

starnsey

Established Member
You can never have enough oil capacity. Take all that you can get. The canton road race pan has trap doors and is sumped in a manor that incourages oil control and scavenging. IIRC t also increases capacity to 9 quarts. The only "downside" is, if you install it with a windage tray, as it's designed to be ran, special care has to be taken with rtv and gasket selection. You'll get some different suggestions on what works best as far as the rtv application and the stack of pan, gaskets and windage tray.

Could you go into a little more detail about this? This is where I'm uncertain of things. I would figure there would be one gasket and one windage tray application for a Canton oil pan on a Mach 1 engine for example. I would have no idea how to choose which windage tray and which gasket to go with.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I'm running a Canton road race pan and tray.

One OE Ford pan gasket between pan and tray.

Ultra gray RTV between tray and block.

Only seepage is the marginally effective drain plug gasket.

Clearance is good, K member or K member brace(MM) bolts hit before oil pan does. :beer:

Excellent mod IMHO.:beer:

starnsey

Established Member
I'm running a Canton road race pan and tray.

One OE Ford pan gasket between pan and tray.

Ultra gray RTV between tray and block.

Only seepage is the marginally effective drain plug gasket.

Clearance is good, K member or K member brace(MM) bolts hit before oil pan does. :beer:

Excellent mod IMHO.:beer:

Thanks! It looks like from the information I gathered, I'll end up going for the Canton. Did you use the mesh tray or the louvered one? And you're saying you have a constant leak from the drain plug? Are there any cures for this? I've dealt with enough cars that leak oil so if I can prevent my Mach from doing it, I'd be ecstatic.

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
I used grey rtv between the windage tray and block. I used a Felpro gasket between the tray and pan. You need Permatex 85144 for the RTV. I was told by a Toyota driveline engineer, it is used OEM for gaskets by Toyota and Honda.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Blue rtv only here, did this to decrease the stack height of the gaskets and the canton windage tray. MMR oil pan used here, my only complaint is the damn drain plug leaves about 3/8" of old oil and crap in the bottom of the pan. My pan is one of their first ones.

Users who are viewing this thread