C6Z with bolt-ons vs LS3 with Paxton Novi at the dragstrip

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
A good friend of mine are new to the corvette community, and have had a nice rivalry dating back to our previous cars, 500whp+ STi's. About 7 months ago, we both sold our suby's and bought 08 vettes, and the race is on to see who can be faster.

My car is an 08 Z with american racing headers/hi flow x pipe, killerbee cai/vette air, ported intake manifold/tb, dyno tune, stock tires. My numbers were 465/431 with kb/vette air + tune before the headers/ported intake mani/tb were installed. My car was retuned but the dyno was having voltage issues, couldnt get an accurate reading...I'm guessing 490's/450 range.

His vette is an 08 Z51/MN6, american racing headers/off road x pipe , and an ecs paxton novi kit, dyno tune, stock tires, 520whp/475tq.

Neither one of us are great corvette drivers, although I have a little more experience than my buddy. I am used to cutting 1.6x 60ft and running 10's in my suby, but cant manage anything better than a 2.0 on my oem tires.

anyway, here's a few vids and pics from today, enjoy :beer:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hfyVpGO0NU"]YouTube - C6 Z06 11.68 at 125mph[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEip5mS75_8"]YouTube - 11.77 at 123mph C6 Z06 vs supercharged LS3[/ame]

pics058.gif

pics056.jpg

pics055.gif

my best pass was 11.68 at 125 with a 2.1 60ft, his best was a 12.0 at 124 with a 2.0 60ft. We both know there is a lot more potential in our cars, but we had a great time keeping our rivalry going.

btw, I've owned several mustangs, svtperformance.com rocks :rockon:. I know I'm gonna get some vette hater comments, but I'm on this forum everyday enjoying the vids/pics:-D

Last edited:

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
my oem rear wheels are 19's, which means I have to get some 18's. I'll probably end up getting a set, but not interested in eating the stock clutch or breaking any axles just yet. We both drove 170+ miles to get to the strip today, that would be a big tow bill home. naturally I'd like to run lower et's, but my goal today was checking my mph. I have a new cam being installed this/next week, wanted to know where I was before the upgrade. I should crack 130's next trip out.

Also, I figure this info gives u guys a good idea of what an average driver can do with these mods. Not the best, but it sure was fun!!!

Last edited:

SlwSVT

Established Member
I thought the z06 rear ends were pretty stout? A nice 18" drag radial set up would be nice for the track. Even if you don't want to beat it hard for a 1.5 type 60ft. You could still come out fairly hard and turn a 1.75 60' or so. With the cam change and that kind of set up, you will be knocking hard on the 10 second door!

129saleen

Saleen poster
Established Member
"ahh shit, hannng onnn" :D my favorite part!

Your mph is easily going to get in the 10s, but deff low 11s without breaking stuff!

both are sick cars dude!:beer:

Last edited:

04cobra13

Established Member
wow awsome vettes, deffinatley 10s with that mph, like said get some tire on it and see what it can really do!

2kHoe

Established Member
Nice times and cars! What track is this? Possibly Montgomery?

WeeZee

Member of NMRA
Established Member
Wow that guy driving that C6 Z06 needs lessons bad, those run mid 11's stock. With the mods listed believe it or not that C6 Z06 should have went high 10's. Ive seen with my own eyes @ Martin Michigan a stock C6 Z06 with drag radials run 10.98 !!! That C6 Vette should have bought a Procharger instead of a paxton, but still bad ass & running pretty good for low boost

1.8t

Established Member
Wish I would have known you guys were going to MMP. I was very close to heading down to Montgomery for the weekend for a car meet....would have been fun to run with you guys lol.

Last edited:

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
Nice times and cars! What track is this? Possibly Montgomery?

yes. We had the entire track to ourselves yesterday, less than 10 cars and the track prep was great. it was the best $15 I've ever spent, haha! MMP said they accidentally posted a t&t on their website but their were not suppossed to be open, however the owners son brought 2 people over and opened the doors for us.

Last edited:

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
How many psi of boost is your buddy runnin? What do you suspect the weight difference between the two cars are?

8psi. Z06's are typically 130lbs lighter, plus he has more optional equipment (mine is a 1lz vs his 3lt), and 65lbs worth of supercharger stuff. I'm guessing 150-200lbs.

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
Wow that guy driving that C6 Z06 needs lessons bad, those run mid 11's stock. With the mods listed believe it or not that C6 Z06 should have went high 10's. Ive seen with my own eyes @ Martin Michigan a stock C6 Z06 with drag radials run 10.98 !!! That C6 Vette should have bought a Procharger instead of a paxton, but still bad ass & running pretty good for low boost

^ i hate stupid posts like this. yes there is a lot more potential on the table, but these cars are a lot harder to drive than u think. Launching on a set of runflats isnt easy. Also, according to the CorvetteForum.com fast list, there are only 3 people that have ever run 10's in a stock z with drag radials, Ranger, Jamie Furman, and Dr Ron....which I am not at their level. On the same corvette fast list, my measly 11.68 was good enough to make the top 17 for Z's with bolt-ons and drag radials, even though I was on my oem tires.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1794944

I used to run 10's in my sti, so I know how to drive, just need a little more practice. I cant tell u how many times I've been to thet track and watched a termmy/shelby running upper 13's at 105mph, they just need a little practice too. It's just like the post a few days ago about the ZR1 running 12.2 at 129mph, my first pass I ever made in my bone stock Z was 12.0 at 121mph, with a 2.1 60ft.

Anyway, I also drove 170+ miles to get to the dragstrip, let the car cool for about 45 minutes, then started making pass's. my temps were still above 200, which is in the neighborhood of when they start pulling timing.

Last edited:

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
Wow, they're even the same color. How close are you and your "buddy"?

:lol: haha, very funny. he's a 50+yr old dude, and I'm 33 married with a kid. I even occassionaly post pics of teh wifey in the hot girlfriend thread, which I am addicted to viewing on this forum :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread