New record qtr mile times for the ZR1

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
I figured some of you guys would be interested in reading this.....

OK straight to the point, new stock ZR1 best times. We believe these times may be the quickest recorded 1/4 mile ETs for any stock production car:

10.851 @ 129.89 mph 100% bone stock on factory tires, driven by racerns

10.730 @ 132.46 mph stock on drag radials, driven by Ranger (read below for story, time slips, and videos)

As some of you may remember, my father (ZO6Jeff) and I had the opportunity to attend a private drag rental, hosted by Ranger, last April in his bone stock 2009 ZR1. It was quite the learning experience and we came away with a stock tire best of 11.05 @ 129.1 mph (me) and drag radial best of 10.98 @ 131.8 mph (Ranger). This past Monday we had the opportunity to continue that learning experience at another rental at MIR arranged by Ranger. This was a small 6 car rental with all Corvettes (we had the only ZR1, and the others were all modified) in a laid back and friendly at atmosphere. My father and I made the 3 hr drive up that morning to arrive at 9:00am. The weather conditions were a little better than the April rental, with the temps on the mid 50s and good baro to give a DA of -350ft through most of the day (as measured track side). There was a moderate to light on-and-off head wind during the day. The track prep out to the 1/8 mile was great, and even though there was no sun to warm the track it stuck well.

We decided that we were going to first concentrate on running the ZR1 on the stock tires since I had come close to breaking into the 10s last time. I ran the car in sets of 2 or 3 passes and then we would cool the car for a while. On my first set of passes I bettered my previous 11.05 with an 11.03. On my second set of passes I broke into the tens with a 10.97 @ 128.35 mph and a 1.703 60’ time. I had the launch down but really needed to work on my shift points and speed. Then during my 3rd set of passes I had another 1.70 60’ and did my best shifting to date that produced the 10.85 @ 129.8 mph run.

MIRTImeSlip-FastestStockTiresrun.jpg

MIR1085run.jpg

HD Videos to be added soon

After a few more passes that did not better the 10.85, we decided to put on Ranger’s 18” drag radials. It was closing in on 3 pm by this point. Ranger had not driven the car with the stock tires today but he was going to get first crack on the DRs since my driving experience with them is very limited. Ranger proved yet again that he is a driving machine by clicking off three 10.73xs passes in a row hot lapping the car. The best was his second pass of 10.730 @ 132.46 mph. I have also put up a copy of his last pass since it shows his best launch and 1/8 mile time (6.998), but the car fell a little short up top only finishing a 131.95 mph, most likely starting to see the effects of some heat soak after the previous two runs and a long day of running. I ran a few passes on the drag radials, never quite getting the launch, and turned a best of 10.95 @ 130.2 mph. Here is Rangers best.

MIRTImeSlip-FastestDRrun.jpg

MIRTImeSlip-Fastesteightmirun.jpg

HD Videos to be added soon

Overall it was another great day at the track. The ZR1 performed flawlessly and is simply an amazing car. I also think there are still better times to be had. Even though my shifting is improving, I am pretty sure better shifting could have got another 1/10 with stock tires. I think we are just scratching the surface on drag radials. I am sure if Ranger had pulled the same launch as his last pass on his first pass, we would have seen 10.6s. I would like to thank Ranger for all the tips and putting the rental together and my father for letting me beat on his car. As for the rest of the cars, I will let the owners discuss their times but I will say that every car there made it into the 10s. :thumbs:

F8LBITEva

Alexis Texas' #1 fan
Established Member
Thats awesome dude! Ranger shakes his whole car in the staging lanes practicing his shifts. Dude knows what he's doing!!!!!

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
isn't the veyron faster??

lol what does that have to do with anything?

Sick times, that group on the Corvette forum really know how to squeeze every tenth out of their factory Vettes.

25psi

Established Member
Yes, by close to one second and about 8-9mph.

ZR1 still did something amazing.

Closer to 14mph. I believe someone trapped 144.

Has anyone ran a stock Z06 vs a stock ZR1? I'm really not that impressed with the ZR1's time, considering it makes over 120rwhp more than a stock Z06 and pulls the same mph.

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
Yes, by close to one second and about 8-9mph.

ZR1 still did something amazing.

nothing a pulley, intake, and exhaust couldnt handle, haha! actually, those mods will only take a zr1 to 140 traps.

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member

Has anyone ran a stock Z06 vs a stock ZR1? I'm really not that impressed with the ZR1's time, considering it makes over 120rwhp more than a stock Z06 and pulls the same mph.

Go read the original thread.. Ranger had his C6 Z06 at the track on the same day at the same track and was trapping 5mph less.. 5mph is like 7-8 car lengths in a race.

BTW, who in god's name unbanned you.

Last edited:

25psi

Established Member
Go read the original thread.. Ranger who has gotten the fastest time out of a C6 Z06 had his car at the track on the same day at the same track and was trapping 5mph less.. 5mph is like 7-8 car lengths in a race.

People have trapped 129mph in a stock Z06, so what is your point?

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member

Try closer to 100rwhp and an extra 200#.

Ranger stated that he has far, far more seat time in his Z06 and is completely dialed in with it. With the Zr1, he stated that he only had ~10 runs with it and would need significantly more time to find it's limit. He predicted 10.70's bone stock and 10.50's with dr.

Same day same conditions, the ZR1 will trap 4-5 mph higher. You cannot compare runs from different days

25psi

Established Member
Go read the original thread.. Ranger had his C6 Z06 at the track on the same day at the same track and was trapping 5mph less.. 5mph is like 7-8 car lengths in a race.

BTW, who in god's name unbanned you.

I've been back for months now. And no need to edit your thread "You learn how to read" :D

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
this is very interesting as well...

Make no mistake about it. The C6 ZR1 is a monster that has, so far, resoundingly eclipsed at the drag strip its stock Z06 stable-mate, the current Viper, and all similar production cars.

I made only three passes in the ZR1 at Monday’s rental. All three were 10.73. Traps were 132.46, 132.01, 131.95.

For comparison sake I made a couple passes in my stock C6Z on DRs. Two 10.95s. Traps were 126.05 (car not fully warmed up) and 127.85 (warmed up).

So apples to apples, the ZR1 was faster that the Z06 by about three car-lengths and 4.0-4.5 mph. That said, my Z06 driving is dial-in. Not the case in the ZR1.

Keep in mind, a driver must invest time to learn the personality quirks of the ZR1. As racerns points out in post #1, his and my driving remains works-in-progress. So quicker ETs and faster traps by these drivers in this ZR1 remain ahead this fall season as we internalize lessons-learned and leverage improving weather conditions.

Weather at this event was good but inferior to the super weather MIR experiences in fall.

After our ZR1-group’s first visit to the track in April, I reported

Racerns has already accomplished the stock tire part. And 10.60s on DRs is a small drop from 10.73 and should come just with minor launch tweaks. Given that, I’ll speculate that this stock ZR1 will likely run low 10.70s on stock tires and high 10.50s on DRs. Stay tuned.

Finally, I want to thank Z06Jeff once again for the opportunity to drive his ZR1 on the track. Thanks too to racerns for the pleasure of witnessing him hammer out four 10-second stock-tire passes. He’s a natural driver who will continue to make proud the Corvette community far and wide.

Best to all.

Ranger

Admin note: I plan to upload two videos tomorrow.
Racerns’s 10.85 on stock tires and
Ranger’s 10.73 on drag radials.

Will place a marker post to the thread when the videos are edited into post #1.

25psi

Established Member
Try closer to 100rwhp and an extra 200#.

Ranger stated that he has far, far more seat time in his Z06 and is completely dialed in with it. With the Zr1, he stated that he only had ~10 runs with it and would need significantly more time to find it's limit. He predicted 10.70's bone stock and 10.50's with dr.

Same day same conditions, the ZR1 will trap 4-5 mph higher. You cannot compare runs from different days

But I can compare times that have already been established.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread