Restoring a 24K mile Cobra....

mustang addict

Established Member
So about 4 years ago I found the shell of a 93 Cobra on ebay. Apparently, the car was a theft recovery from California with only 24K miles on it. Obviously curious, I ran the VIN and it all checked out. The owner at the time had purchased the car from the insurance company who found the car with the intention of making a race/street car out of it.

Always wanting a 93 Cobra and having several parts sitting around, I bought the car with the intention of returning the car to as stock as possible. However, when I picked up the car I was shocked to see the condition it was in. Although the owner was on the up and up, it was just shocking to see how stripped the thieves left this 24K mile, black on black beauty.

Here she is after I got her home. Wheels were gone and it rode on spares, no ground effects, no motor, no tranny, no rear end, no rear disc brakes, no front nose piece and the only thing in the interior was the carpet and the dash. That's it. But, the buck tags were there and the 93 Cobra specific steering wheel was still there...and near perfect.

CIMG0835.jpg

The blue tape was me masking the edges so I could buff the original paint. I later gave up. The car sat in a barn (yes...I said barn) for about 5 years before I got it and the couple of light scratches were just too much for the buffer.

CIMG0836.jpg

CIMG0839.jpg

Pretty sad.

So, the first order of business was paint. I stripped what was left of the interior and sent it off to be painted. The gentleman I purchased the car from happened to have a set of original 93 Cobra ground effects that I took off his hands so they fit quite well, although they had to be stripped of the red and painted black. The first paint shop left a little to be desired so I had it redone again. Here she is after the paint:

CIMG2967.jpg

CIMG2968.jpg

CIMG2969.jpg

These were before the cut and buff. But I was very pleased with the second paint job.

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
awesome man. cant believe how stripped it was, they took almost everything. talk about a rolling chassis...keep us updated!

mustang addict

Established Member
Next came the interior. I spent a couple of years finding suitable black interior. These picks were before the door panels went in, but you get the picture.

CIMG2972.jpg

CIMG2971.jpg

CIMG2970.jpg

Next came the rear end, wheels and tires and of course the new brakes. I found original axles, original brakes and a set of NOS wheels. These were not cheap, but I knew it had to have them. This is the car as I was buttoning up those installs:

cobraandfirehawkpictures005.gif

The engine I found came out of another 93 cobra. Supposedly had 1000 miles on it. I tore it down, rebuilt it and put a little cam in it. The tranny came out of high mileage 93 Cobra, it was of course the Z code. I was scared about it but installed it anyway after blasting the exterior case. Turns out it shifts great. I did put motorsport headers on it, an off road x pipe, and a full flowmaster cat back with 2.5" polished tips. The car is as clean underneath as it is on top.

Here it is complete. Shocks are original 93 Cobra shocks that I managed to find NOS, springs are Eibach pro-kits.

cobraandfirehawkpictures004.gif

cobraandfirehawkpictures001.gif

I'll get pics of the interior later. It got all new buttons, switches, and panels. The seats came out of my '90 GT with 29K miles when I yanked them for Kirkeys. It came out pretty well for a car that was left for dead. Car drives well but has a slight surge I'm told is due to the E-cam. Otherwise everything works and didn't even need an alignment believe it or not. Total time off the road was about 10-11 years.

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
Very nice! So does it have a salvaged title? Just curious, how much money did this project set you back...

Last edited:

KC/COBRA

Fear The Cornholio
Established Member
That is some dedication right there!! Very impressed that you got back into after had giving up on it for a few years. Glad to have another black 93 Cobra back on the road. Congrats:beer:

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Looks great, I wonder if it would have retained some of its value since you restored it using mostly original cobra parts. At least it will have a good full life of cruising the streets. You did one hell of a rebuild, great job.

TCSoff

I'm watching
Established Member
I always enjoy reading stories like this. It is obvious that your hard work and attention to detail paid off. Congratulations on getting her done.

jordan0806

E85 and Psi
Established Member
Very nice! So does it have a salvaged title? Just curious, how much money did this project set you back...

more than likely has a salvaged title but doubt it's going to hurt value much (at least to future buyers) since it's been documented so well...

mustang addict

Established Member
Thanks for all the kudos guys! I actually had a guy roll down his window the other day at a stoplight and tell me "man, that car looks great. You've really kept it up nice!" I just said thanks cause it was a little hard to tell him this poor car had been to hell and back...and not quite "kept up". LOL

As for the title question, I don't know how exactly...but the car has a perfect, clean title. The carfax does show the theft. But nothing, I mean nothing shows salvage on any documentation. Carfax also verified the 24K miles (in addition to the fact that the shell and underside of the shell were arrow straight with zero road grime, rust, or body issues.

I also called SVT and got all the documentation on the car. It's number 4843 and is a non sunroof, originally black on black car.

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
Thanks for all the kudos guys! I actually had a guy roll down his window the other day at a stoplight and tell me "man, that car looks great. You've really kept it up nice!" I just said thanks cause it was a little hard to tell him this poor car had been to hell and back...and not quite "kept up". LOL

As for the title question, I don't know how exactly...but the car has a perfect, clean title. The carfax does show the theft. But nothing, I mean nothing shows salvage on any documentation. Carfax also verified the 24K miles (in addition to the fact that the shell and underside of the shell were arrow straight with zero road grime, rust, or body issues.

I also called SVT and got all the documentation on the car. It's number 4843 and is a non sunroof, originally black on black car.

wow, thats even more awesome that it has a clean title! Congrats:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread