U.S. Deploys "Game Changer Weapon" XM25 to Afganistan

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
XM25
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytPa8ihfrPU&NR=1"]YouTube - XM25, military super weapon[/nomedia]

WASHINGTON (AFP) – It looks and acts like something best left in the hands of Sylvester Stallone's "Rambo," but this latest dream weapon is real -- and the US Army sees it becoming the Taliban's worst nightmare.

The Pentagon has rolled out prototypes of its first-ever programmable "smart" grenade launcher, a shoulder-fired weapon that uses microchipped ammunition to target and kill the enemy, even when the enemy is hidden behind walls or other cover.

After years of development, the XM25 Counter Defilade Target Engagement System, about the size of a regular rifle, has now been deployed to US units on the battlefields of Afghanistan, where the Army expects it to be a "game-changer" in its counterinsurgency operations.

"For well over a week, it's been actively on patrols, and in various combat outposts in areas that are hot," said Lieutenant Colonel Chris Lehner, program manager for the XM25.

The gun's stats are formidable: it fires 25mm air-bursting shells up to 2,300 feet (700 meters), well past the range of most rifles used by today's soldiers, and programs them to explode at a precise distance, allowing troops to neutralize insurgents hiding behind walls, rocks or trenches or inside buildings.

JSZ03

Local Mustang Legend
Established Member
good...start sprayin that thing and get it done!

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
That weapon is great, and it's nice to know about it but it would be nice if we could have kept it under wraps for a little while before announcing to the world there is this new weapon to be prepared for. I'm hoping this gun has been on the battlefield a lot longer than a few weeks so that surprise factor was used to its full ability.

Last edited:

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
That weapon is great, and it's nice to know about it but it would be nice if we could have kept it under wraps for a little while before announcing to the world there is this new weapon to be prepared for. I'm hoping this gun has been on the battlefield a lot longer than a few weeks so that surprise factor was used to its full ability.

Agreed.. I was thinking same thing.

Get this in the wrong hands and next thing you know some rogue nation is reverse-engineering our super weapons.

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
They should come up with a way to disable those guns via satillite tracking in case they get into the wrong hands. Plus we can track those Taliban mofo's.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

Exactly.

They should come up with a way to disable those guns via satillite tracking in case they get into the wrong hands. Plus we can track those Taliban mofo's.

Was thinking the same thing.

Or some sort of activation code that when entered improperly a number of times in a row it detonates the round inside the chamber.....

Last edited:

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member

This weapon has been in development for over 10 years. The ammo was originally developed by two companies, one was Olin Winchester here in St. Louis.

I'm pretty sure it has been Janes rated for 5 years now.

E

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Our Spec Ops guys having been using weapons that we will never know of.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
First of all, that video is a year old, so obviously this isn't the newest technology. Second, I know I saw that exact weapon on some TLC or History channel show YEARS ago. Same gun, had bullets that could be programmed to explode after going through glass or even without hitting anything. Not sure how that is really 'game changing technology', but cool nonetheless.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
Second, I know I saw that exact weapon on some TLC or History channel show YEARS ago. Same gun, had bullets that could be programmed to explode after going through glass or even without hitting anything.

I wonder if the Muj get the History Channel in a cave.....LOL

GO USA!!

E

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I know that's a sweet weapon and all, but did you guys see the KRISS SV linked on the right?

[youtube_browser]pnKd6iXHTQg[/youtube_browser]

^ I want one.

that looks like the "vector" gun in COD. is it the same one? or just looks similar?

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member

It requires very specialized ammo to be used properly. Unless AQ develops computer chip equipped ammo and a factory somewhere, they won't be able to use them.

Users who are viewing this thread