06 Evo MR vs 2012 5.0

thecrimson

Derpin
Established Member
Mods are: Mustang, Bone stock, 3.31s
Evo (from what he said) Full exhaust, intake, Cobb tune
--------------------------------------------------
So I'll preface with the fact that I ran this guy, a coworker, in my 03 pullied cobra. Just a fun run, no money or hating either way. Beat him by a few cars up to 100ish. We both gave thumbs up and went our way.

I bought the GT a few months back and me and him have been on opposite crews, so when I'm getting to work, he's leaving and vice versa. But everytime I see him he says he wants to run the new stang. So this morning (he must've been out on OT or something) I'm getting off the 405 freeway and I see the 'spikes' on the roof of the MR ahead of me. BTW wtf are those? lol. Anyway turning light hits green and i ride him till I can pass, and when I do I look over and grin like "round 2.....FIGHT". Surprisingly, he doesn't bite. Granted, it's 0450 so I figure he's tired and get into the last turning lane before the straight away to my job. Light turns green and I make the right turn and keep it in first. To my excitement, he pulls into the lane left of me and guns it. I romp it as well instantly gaining 3/4 of a car. Im barking tires left and right as we get up to third gear and shut it down with me around 3 &1/2 cars ahead. Nice little rush first thing in the morning. I wouldn't mind having 1 of those evos as a little project car, his seems strong. :beer:

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
I believe the things on the roof are for helping the vehicle stay stable when it's going fast.

Good kill.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I believe the things on the roof are for helping the vehicle stay stable when it's going fast.

Good kill.

Correct!

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/corporate/about_us/technology/review/e/pdf/2004/16E_03.pdf

"One of the main causes of aerodynamic drag for sedan vehicles is the separation of flow near
the vehicle’s rear end. To delay flow separation, bump-shaped vortex generators are tested for
application to the roof end of a sedan. Commonly used on aircraft to prevent flow separation, vortex generators themselves create drag, but they also reduce drag by preventing flow separation at
downstream. The overall effect of vortex generators can be calculated by totaling the positive and
negative effects. Since this effect depends on the shape and size of vortex generators, those on
the vehicle roof are optimized. This paper presents the optimization result, the effect of vortex
generators in the flow field and the mechanism by which these effects take place."

Good kill, they are pretty cool cars and can be quite fast when the boost gets increased.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Correct!

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/corporate/about_us/technology/review/e/pdf/2004/16E_03.pdf

"One of the main causes of aerodynamic drag for sedan vehicles is the separation of flow near
the vehicle’s rear end. To delay flow separation, bump-shaped vortex generators are tested for
application to the roof end of a sedan. Commonly used on aircraft to prevent flow separation, vortex generators themselves create drag, but they also reduce drag by preventing flow separation at
downstream. The overall effect of vortex generators can be calculated by totaling the positive and
negative effects. Since this effect depends on the shape and size of vortex generators, those on
the vehicle roof are optimized. This paper presents the optimization result, the effect of vortex
generators in the flow field and the mechanism by which these effects take place."

Good kill, they are pretty cool cars and can be quite fast when the boost gets increased.

Who new an EVO needed "Vortex Generators" at 65 mph?

ihatepotholes

Established Member
first of all, good kill.

my old Evo ix se with turbo back exhaust, boost controller, fuel pump, intercooler piping, air filter and a dyno tune put down 374whp and 356lb/ft of torque on 24.5psi. trapped 115mph in Etown.

he is just a fuel pump and a boost controller away from my number. oh, intake does absolutely nothing on a stock turbo Evo.

Fassssst

Established Member
Nice kill , also good that their was no **** talk either ....love the new 5.0 ...if I didnt have my termi I would DEFINITELY have the new GT coyote !!

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Definitely a good kill for a stock 5.0 taking a out a slightly modded EVO. I love those cars. They look menacing and look to be really fun. The 5.0's power while it's rolling is sick.

thecrimson

Derpin
Established Member
Yeah, no Sh talking either way. He's a pretty mellow guy and let's be honest, I'm 30 and last thing I'm gonna do is talk shit on someones car in a friendly/civil run (at least unprovoked)

Last edited:

slynch68

Established Member
Great kill, even better sportsmanship

I raced a modded EVO X, he said about 450hp flywheel against my 11' GT500 with pulley,tune, xpipe. From a dig he took me on the 1/4 which I knew would happen with my F1's. Another 40mph roll and i pulled a about two cars on him to 120mph. I was suprised how well he kept up. I don't race for money just fun and we talked for awhile after.

The Evo crowd seems content with what their cars are capable of and it doesn't take much to make them run high 11's all day.

thecrimson

Derpin
Established Member
By any chance, does this "Vortex Generator" function like the "Flux Capacitor"? :dw:

Funny you should say that... I saw the guy light 2 strips of asphalt on fire with sheer torque and no shit, I look at my spedo and what do you know?....You guessed it. 88 fackin miles per hour.

Last edited:

thecrimson

Derpin
Established Member
outatime.jpg

No?

Users who are viewing this thread