03 cobra gas pedal recall...what should i do?

72 fastback

Established Member
hey guys last year i totalled the cobra ,hit a tree, drivers side (about 40mph i guess).well the pedal did stick.i told my insurance guys and also i told the officer that worked the scene what happened.a couple weeks ago i talked to one of the owners of lewis ford as i was trading cars and he said to call ford and talk to them.i dont want to sue ford i just want my 03 back.any suggestions guys?

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
if that is truly the reason why you wrecked, then sue. are you kidding me??? this issue was well known and documented for over a year before anything even became of it. i had it happen to me, luckily i didn't wreck. i went to the dealer and they had no clue--never heard of it. i filed a report with the national transportation and safety dept. through a link from this website, and still nothing. finally, a year later we get a recall that is as simple as a fu<king $1 bracket bolted to the bottom of our gas pedal??

just think you could have been seriously injured, and i think its safe to say that it was ford's fault all the way, for designing a gas pedal that sticks--which directly caused you to ram your car into a tree. call a lawyer, if you have it documented somewhere in the police report that the pedal stuck during the accident you may be getting another cobra.

Wintermute

Banned
Sue, and convince your lawyer to start a class action, you surely aren't the only one.

America's all about the litigation, right ?

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
Well if you totaled your 03 it’s not coming back. Now you may have to sue to get another 03 or hell you can get an 07. Call an attorney they’ll definitely take your case. IMHO, if the accelerator pedal/carpet defect contributed in any way to your accident, you are entitled to a replacement car as well as other monetary compensation. Don’t sell yourself short and don’t put yourself in a position to regret a missed opportunity, an opportunity that you’re entitled to.

Good luck and keep us posted.

DrYeRLiNt

Horse From Hell
Established Member
it makes me feel better about your situation knowing you arent just like HELL YEAH LETS SUE BITCH!!!

because then i'd tell you to go die in a fire... but since thats not the case...

your life was at stake... and ford had complaints... when its a serious issue such as a sticking accelerator... after about 5-10 complaints... it wouldve been time to majorly investigate. did they? not then...

have you ever seen Fight Club (i think thats the right movie) they figure up the cost of settling lawsuits and all that vs the cost of the fix or whatever... and thats how they decide what course to take... by that time your car had probably already been wrecked.

faulty from the factory, it cost you your car, and couldve costed you your life... i think you deserve compensation.

JMD0346

Established Member
While Im not a dishonest man in most situations. I would say go for it. We're all paying for people making false claims already. It aint gonna go away. Its worth a try. Hell a good lawyer will love it. Probably get some extra.

Its happen to me two or three times. I know whats going on now though and know what to do.

The only thing I could see is they say youre driving crazy. From my experience you have to floor it for it to stick. If you were on a back road or curve..etc it could backfire on you. Just something to consider.

Last edited:

JMD0346

Established Member
Interesting. Ive never thought of that. Makes sense. Fixing 20k cars is definitely cheaper than paying off suits. If it was F-150's... Maybe not. Its all about the numbers.

Edit: Now my post makes no sense. Win7ermute pulled out.

Last edited:

Redfire03

Established Member
What is your past driving record, and how old are you?

Those are things that will most likely be brought up.

And JMD0346 has a point, you do have to floor it, for it it stick...

JMD0346

Established Member
Yeah. They arent gonna just lay down and take it. Youre gonna have to have a good case.

If Ford proves your case bunk and that it was your fault. What do you think the Inshawance companys gonna say?

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
Redfire03 said:
And JMD0346 has a point, you do have to floor it, for it it stick...
It’s an average point. Simply because the accelerator pedal was fully depressed doesn’t necessary mean he was speeding or breaking any other law for that matter. Maybe he was conserving fuel and using skip-shift? Or running in 5th gear @ 10 mph?

A mediocre attorney will figure something out.

JMD0346

Established Member
FAsnakes said:
It’s an average point. Simply because the accelerator pedal was fully depressed doesn’t necessary mean he was speeding or breaking any other law for that matter. Maybe he was conserving fuel and using skip-shift? Or running in 5th gear @ 10 mph?

A mediocre attorney will figure something out.

True but if he was on a back road/residential area or a curve it is gonna definitely make a difference. Speed limit of the area is important. There's never a point were skipping a shift and flooring it is gonna yeld better economy. Thats just not how it works. Low speed and high gear isnt gonna make you wreck either. The car would barely move with the example youve given. You could be doing 100 in 5th and the throttle stick and it not get you in any real trouble.

Fact is he had to be in low gear and he had to be getting on it. Thats my opinion. Maybe he'll come back and explain more.

Mediocre lawyers wont get it done against Fords retained lawyers.

72 fastback

Established Member
guys thanks for the replies.here's how it went.was going to fort smith no hurry at all just as i round a corner(am now going in a straight line)theres a eclipse going about 25 or around that mph(sightseeing they told me)well i was slow enough to use second gear.went into the opposite lane well behind them.florred it for a sec,well the cobra got sideways very quick in this low a gear,i let off instantly.nothing happened!time
in that short of time the car was pointing 180 degrees toward the ditch first thing i did was hit the clutch and brake.too late.
whats gets me is it was a quick stab at the throttle not a racing incident.i dont think it stuck for more than a second at best.
i was 35 at he time clean record no tickets or anything ever more than a speeding ticket.

Users who are viewing this thread