Sport Bike Riders! Long Distance Trips? ~1800 Miles

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Ok i'll be, or plan on, going from Phoenix Arizona to Chicago Illinois. Yeah, sounds like fun right?? Well I have an 2006 Ninja ZX6R (636), not so much fun anymore? That's my question, should it be attempted? Shipping is not an option, only other option would be to sell the bike.

I need advice:
How long should I expect it to take?
What should I bring with?
How much would you expect it to cost?

Anyone done this before on a similar bike?

Thanks guys,

Josh

Adower

Established Member
I used to have a 03 636. That bike arguably has one of the most aggressive seating positions next to a ducati. I rode that bike 400 miles to Oregon and it was not that bad. I stopped at about 3 hours into the ride and took a break to stretch/bathroom/re-hydrate.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
if u love ur bike that much, do it....but plan on it taking 4-5 days....after 300-400 miles, you cant harrdly stand it

i recently did 1700 miles on my 04 zx-6r.....worst thing ive ever done, but i was inbetween cars and had no choice

Coiled03

Established Member
I'd never go that far on a sportbike. But, if you do, don't forget to get your ironbutt certificate!

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Idk, it's a pretty long way, I don't want to take more than 3 days, so i'd have to go about 600 miles a day. I'll see if I can make it a 4 day trip.

What should I bring with me if I do make the trip?

Coiled03

Established Member
Well get me the chick in your avitar, i'm sure she could make the trip twice in one weekend. Thanks for the info, i'll be sure to take it into consideration :loser:

Look - I was kidding, OK. But since you're gonna be rude about it, you're a moron for even considering a trip like this. Sportbikes are NOT made for long distance cruising, or haven't you figured that out yet?

What to bring? Nothing, except yourself, a helmet, leathers, and some cash to pay for gas, and maybe a hotel. What else CAN you bring on a sportbike, unless you're installing saddlebags?

Length of time is totally dependent on how far you twist your right wrist. If you don't want to look at it that way, do the math yourself, it's not that hard. Average 65 mph over about 1750 miles, and you're looking at 27 hours with no stops.

Cost - again, do the math. Average say 40mpg over 1750 miles means you're gonna need about 43 gallons of fuel. At say 4.05/gal, you're looking at about 175 dollars in gas. There aren't any other expenses but food, and possibly housing if you stop overnight somewhere.

EDIT: And one other thing, why is shipping not an option? Do you think there aren't any companies that ship motorcycles? Please don't tell me you're considering riding this because you don't trust any of them.

Last edited:

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Look - I was kidding, OK. But since you're gonna be rude about it, you're a moron for even considering a trip like this. Sportbikes are NOT made for long distance cruising, or haven't you figured that out yet?

What to bring? Nothing, except yourself, a helmet, leathers, and some cash to pay for gas, and maybe a hotel. What else CAN you bring on a sportbike, unless you're installing saddlebags?

Length of time is totally dependent on how far you twist your right wrist. If you don't want to look at it that way, do the math yourself, it's not that hard. Average 65 mph over about 1750 miles, and you're looking at 27 hours with no stops.

Cost - again, do the math. Average say 40mpg over 1750 miles means you're gonna need about 43 gallons of fuel. At say 4.05/gal, you're looking at about 175 dollars in gas. There aren't any other expenses but food, and possibly housing if you stop overnight somewhere.

EDIT: And one other thing, why is shipping not an option? Do you think there aren't any companies that ship motorcycles? Please don't tell me you're considering riding this because you don't trust any of them.

Ah, yes much better post. Well no it's not that I don't trust them, but to ship my bike and fly round trip would cost a lot more than just riding my bike. I don't plan on rushing I would take my time and actually enjoy the ride, bring my camera and take some pics, stop off at a few places along the way, you know that type of stuff. If it takes me longer, so be it. I wouldn't be in rush to get there, i'd possibly ride with someone else as well (but not for sure).

Shipping and flying is not an option due to the retarded charges they have now. I can fly back for free so there isn't a charge there. I'd like to give it a shot, just looking for some feedback. I don't have to take my bike there, i'd just like to.

I wasn't sure if there was anyone on here who had done anything similar to this so I figured i'd ask and see, to receive some advice possibly.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
I think i've found my solution:

rocketshields.jpg

:lol:

tistan

Established Member
I have a 05 636. My buddy and I road to the dragons tail from savannah. We left early saturday morning, and came back on sunday. It was almost 1k miles. My ass wasn't as sore as my shoulders and back. I can say that I will never ride that far on a sportbike again. I knew for a couple of months in advanced that we were going. I did a lot of back excercises in the couple of months before we left, but that didn't even help. If I had a choice of riding 1700 miles or selling the bike, I would sell the bike.

3Mach1

Established Member
I have never owned a sport bike so I can comment on long trips on them. I do have a rigid mount HD sportster that I have put 500 miles on a day many times.
My butt hurt and I was dog tired and Im an old man compared to most of you so I cant imagine you cant do the same with a sport bike. Maybe its the position your in that gives trouble over a long ride?:shrug: All Im saying that if I can ride a paint shaker you can do it on a sport bike imo.

upside

AWD V8
Established Member
i almost did a trip from OH to AZ and decided to hold off for now. besides my balls hurt after a 45min ride.

upside

AWD V8
Established Member
on a side note : when i first purchased my old 2002 gsxr1000 i went on an all day ride and logged 600 miles, i was so tired the next day i didnt even want to look at my 2 day old bike. HA ha

65fastback2+2

Established Member
I have a 05 636. My buddy and I road to the dragons tail from savannah. We left early saturday morning, and came back on sunday. It was almost 1k miles. My ass wasn't as sore as my shoulders and back. I can say that I will never ride that far on a sportbike again. I knew for a couple of months in advanced that we were going. I did a lot of back excercises in the couple of months before we left, but that didn't even help. If I had a choice of riding 1700 miles or selling the bike, I would sell the bike.

+1...and I recently did 1800 miles round trip....you will hate your life once you get to your destination and are walking around like a pregnant woman about to give birth....have fun trying to sleep at night too when you cant get comfortable because everything aches....oh and practice yelling...because after hours of wind, you cant hear jack

just sell it....bikes will be cheaper up north anyhow

rust0r

Established Member
trailer it up on the cobra (assuming it meets specs), or plan on taking like 5 days to a week to do it (only way without wanting to kill yourself). The problem with being so long distance, you really have no room to bring anything besides that you're wearing and maybe a couple pairs of underwears and socks in the tailbox, I have ridden with a backpack for an hour and would NOT do it any further.

If you can't trailer it and unless you have some attachment to your bike, or has owned it since new and babied it, and don't believe you will be able to get another one just like it, sell it and buy one in IL

If you do ride it, bring some ear plugs for the highway, wind fatigue at those speeds will really set in and tire you out. Possibly look into getting a throttle rocker as well ( http://www.throttlerocker.com/ ) it will really help on your throttle hand as you won't have to grip the bars as tediously as without it

I'de also check the freeways you will be taking, plan your route on some nice pavement, I couldn't imagine riding such a long distance on roads that were falling apart (ie: anyone that has ever been on PA turnpike/NY state thruway)

Whats the farthest you have ridden before this ?

Edit: the other concern I would have is realistically you should be cleaning/lubing your chain 3 times throughout this trip, does anyone see it being a problem that he wouldn't be able to do this? How are your tires ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread