Pontiac on the chopping block for good

Daniel

U.S Naval Power
Established Member
What will happen to the current vehicle owners who own them? No warranty's, worthless, etc....? I have been searching to figure out what will happen to current owners but no luck on opinions. Feel free to express your message.:)

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
The same thing that happened to Oldsmobile owners. They can still have their warranties honored at GM dealers and will still be able to get parts through GM dealers. Not that much will really change.

txyaloo

Established Member
so is pontiac gone for good?

From what I've read, it's to be phased out by the end of 2010. Saturn, SAAB, and Hummer are supposed to die by the end of this year.

GM should have killed Buick instead.

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
From what I've read, it's to be phased out by the end of 2010. Saturn, SAAB, and Hummer are supposed to die by the end of this year.

GM should have killed Buick instead.

They did not kill Buick because of the overseas sales. China imports alot of Buicks for example.

MustangBoo

Save Colonel Reb!!!
Established Member
GMC is one line of GM that actually makes some money for them. It will be around for sometime at least.

txyaloo

Established Member
They did not kill Buick because of the overseas sales. China imports alot of Buicks for example.

I understand that, but they could kill the name and distribution in the states and still export production to China. GM has too many brand names in the states selling the same platform with slightly different sheet metal. As least the new Pontiacs were going in a different direction.

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
GMC, Saturn, and Hummer should get chopped.
Make Pontiac a brand between Chevy and Caddy in terms of price and luxury level.
GMC is a brand that is entirely made of badge engineering, kill it.
Buick only has 2 or 3 models, and they sell decently. And old folks still buy em up.
I see ton of Lucernes and LaCrosses everyday. And the new Enclave is a very nice piece too!
So that would Leave Chevy, Pontiac, Caddy, Buick.
Split the 4 between 2 sets of dealers:
Chevy and Buick
Pontiac and Caddy

As for Saab, they are parting ways with GM, they aren't dying off.

Last edited:

2001gunmetalgt

Established Member
Needless to say I am pretty pissed about this. A part of me just died today. I have never owned a Pontiac but alot of my friends had WS6's and Gto's. I highly respected each and the unique looks of each. I think the new line up with the G8's and G6's were going in the right direction....I think GM should have cut something else. America just lost a great part of its history and an iconic muscle car brand. I hope this is as far as it goes. I dont want Dodge going down next.

:(

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
My first car was a 82 Trans Am.
scan0002-1.gif

CAMMD97GT

Build in Progress
Established Member
It's pretty sad to hear about this. It makes me sad that there are going to be less American cars on the road, lets just hope the customers turn to ford.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
It's pretty sad to hear about this. It makes me sad that there are going to be less American cars on the road, lets just hope the customers turn to ford.

or they can jsut buy the GM equivalent.

Pontiac was just rebadged GM stuff. Only thing really going is the branding. The cars left that survive the popularity contest will get put into the lineup of a remaining branding.

The only day i do not look forward to is the day the Corvette dies, and/or gets rebranded. IMO (and im not even a Chevy fan), Chevrolet is the only branding that Corvette would sit right under. GM Corvette just doesnt sound right.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
They should do the following. Not my idea but some industry insider that I can't remember.

Kill off Chevy. Their every car for everbody is a bad strategy and something they cannot compete against Kia and Hyundai. I have no idea why people buy that Korean crap anyway.

Corvette becomes a brand by itself, with maybe the Camaro in its control.

Pontiac is the niche sports car brand.

GMC is trucks.

Buick is the midsize/fullsize car brand competeing against Fusions, Tauri, and Accords.

Cadillac is the BMW, Lexus, Audi fighter.

The Volt is shared and sold by all divisions.

Of course they won't do something this logical...

bmxer89

Established Member
Pontiac actually has a kinda solid car line like the g8 and what not why not kill gmc or buick instead.

CosworthRS

DemonicGraphix
Established Member
I thought most of GM's Fleet vehicles were GMC's. All the contracting companies, utility companies and the cities use these. Glad to see hummer go though, that was a waste of space, gas, and money. We need our Caddies for the CTS-V (It just a sexy car).. Buick and Saturn need to be the only ones to go.

Users who are viewing this thread