what's the easiest way to buy Ford stock?

firebird1999us

Established Member
I've got a 401k...but outside of that I'm not sure how to go about buying specific stocks from publicly traded companies myself???:shrug:

I'm looking at T. Rowe Prices site at the moment just as a frame of reference...but I thought I'd ask around here for advice/tips since a lot of you guys seem to do this kind of stuff;-)

Last edited:

firebird1999us

Established Member
Scott Trade. Ameritrade. Open an online trading account. It is quite simple.

From what I can tell all of these places tend to require an initial investment and $x.xx per trade...any experiences you have with one that you felt was better than another?

I'm assumng all profits/income/gins you make are taxable as well?

Last edited:

Cobra-O

Established Member
Very taxable. If you keep it more than one year, the taxes are lower, less than one year = your normal tax rate.

I use TDAmertrade, they have been great for me, I like their site and streamer and trade triggers, and such. I'm sure they are all pretty much the same, the bigger ones at least.

Good luck!

firebird1999us

Established Member
Very taxable. If you keep it more than one year, the taxes are lower, less than one year = your normal tax rate.

I use TDAmertrade, they have been great for me, I like their site and streamer and trade triggers, and such. I'm sure they are all pretty much the same, the bigger ones at least.

Good luck!

So do you get charged a transaction fee for each individual share you purchase? Like if I buy 10 shares do I get charged 10 times?

Also, in light of all the large financial institutions being taken over by the government -- what happens if Ameritrade gets seized/goes out of business?

Last edited:

ff500

Established Member
I've got an etrade account and also a bank of america account, boa is actually pretty good, cheaper than the others and can trades can be free based on account balances.

nate

Established Member
Bank of America here too. I can't complain about it, plus it was very easy to set up.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
From what I can tell all of these places tend to require an initial investment and $x.xx per trade...any experiences you have with one that you felt was better than another?

They require an initial deposit to open an account, but almost every brokerage does. I would stay away from E-Trade.

I'm assumng all profits/income/gins you make are taxable as well?

Yes.

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
So do you get charged a transaction fee for each individual share you purchase? Like if I buy 10 shares do I get charged 10 times?

Most brokerage's charge a flat rate per transaction. For example, with Scottrade, you get charged $7 per trade. That means if you buy $1 worth or $500k worth of a single stock , you get charged $7.

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
IMO after talking to some people scottrade seems to be the favorite. Thats what I use and i love it.

SciFiHiFi

Established Member
You may want to consider weather or not you should be trading stocks on your own. Loosing your hard earned money to a dumb move hurts, bad. Win or loose, make sure you read up on all the tax implications and report everything at the end of the year.

+1 for Scottrade. They have a lot of locations you can visit to setup your account and ask questions in person.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
yeah please only trade with money you have sitting around collecting dust...

Hate to see that Mach up for sale in a few months...

firebird1999us

Established Member
You may want to consider weather or not you should be trading stocks on your own. Loosing your hard earned money to a dumb move hurts, bad. Win or loose, make sure you read up on all the tax implications and report everything at the end of the year.

+1 for Scottrade. They have a lot of locations you can visit to setup your account and ask questions in person.

yeah please only trade with money you have sitting around collecting dust...

Hate to see that Mach up for sale in a few months...

I want to budget like $2000 to it to see how it goes...but it's probably not going to be something I'm active with all the time. I just kind of want to buy a few seperate things and hold onto them;-)

I've got no debt otehr than my house and I don't EVER spend money I don't have to spend so I should be good...thanks for all the advice though guys:beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread