Fidanze aluminum flywheel vs stock cobra flywheel

benulis55

Established Member
I am considering buy a used stock flywheel to send to Mcleod to have it resurfaced. The flywheel will cost me $75, then Mcleod will cost $125 +~40 shipping to resurface it

thats a total of $240. the Fidanze aluminum flywheel (which is supposed to be lighted) costs 330 from Lethal maybe a little less with SVTP discount

is it worth the effort to re-surface a stock flywheel?? and is it worth the extra money to get the Fidanza??

which flywheel is better??

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
You are supposed to resurface/restep your FW anytime you switch clutches.

You dont have any clutch/transmission shops local that will do it for like $40?

Ive driven both stock FW and lightened FW dsm's. The lighter FW is reducing rotating mass on the engine which is supposed to free up power. Downside is without that rotating mass you crusing around the parking lot in 1st gear will be troublesome and jerky.

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
this ^^ I heard after the fact stocker insert can be changed out.. a local shop didnt think resurfacing was a good idea, didnt want to touch it and clutch installer said go with a new FW so no chance of chatter etc whatever so I just went with alum fidanza it is a very nice piece though

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
this ^^ I heard after the fact stocker insert can be changed out.. a local shop didnt think resurfacing was a good idea, didnt want to touch it and clutch installer said go with a new FW so no chance of chatter etc whatever so I just went with alum fidanza it is a very nice piece though

What was the weight difference?

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
between stock and fidanza I have no idea but I was told like 14lbs difference between new billet steel and alum, was my only consideration. went with alum just to stay original tho everyone says go steel for street. I have np with alum and only drive street

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I swapped from the stock to an aluminum SPEC FW when I changed my clutch. There was a noticeable difference in how fast my car climbed the rev range. It took me a couple days to readjust to driving it and I stalled it a couple times during these first 2-3 days but after that there were zero issues.

There was a slight SOTP difference as it felt like I gained a few rwhp in the upper rpms. It is a worth while investment unless you can get a local trans shop to turn the FW for you.

Users who are viewing this thread