Who has experience with mattresses/beds ?

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
I have a not so great back and I'm looking to buy a new/good mattress.

I have been researching Tempur Pedic only at this point...anyone have suggestions or personal opinions they can share?

$2000 for a mattress I'm looking for deals to :D

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
We got the ~$500 "Fempurpedic" from Overstock.com.

Pure awesome is all I can put it as. I went from a queen waterbed to myself that I absolutely loved to a queen standard matress when me and the GF moved in together and lemme tell you, I was hurting. After about 3mo I was borderline suicidal (not really, but I actually preferred the couch over sharing a queen bed and especially a crappy bed at that). We started checking out beds and the prices were insane. We ended up putting a foam topper on the mattress but that only slightly helped. My mom found the fake tempurpedic on Overstock and she ended up buying one just because. I slept on it one night and holy crap, SOLD. Ordered us a Cal King the next day. Stretching out and not getting kneed by the significant other nightly is FTW.

GF's sister spent $3500 on their real Tempurpedic and theres absolutely ZERO difference I can feel if I lay on their bed vs ours. And they only got a queen.

98slowbra

Established Member
I have a sleep number king. I really like it. It takes some time to get your sleep number and takes some time to get use to. I have 3 bad discs in my back and neck and I really like this bed.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Another happy sleep number bed user! I have had it for over 10 years, it is the best mattress I have ever slept on, nothing else has ever even come close.

I have extensive experience with beds and mattresses, over 58 years and counting.:-D

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
We got the ~$500 "Fempurpedic" from Overstock.com.

Pure awesome is all I can put it as. I went from a queen waterbed to myself that I absolutely loved to a queen standard matress when me and the GF moved in together and lemme tell you, I was hurting. After about 3mo I was borderline suicidal (not really, but I actually preferred the couch over sharing a queen bed and especially a crappy bed at that). We started checking out beds and the prices were insane. We ended up putting a foam topper on the mattress but that only slightly helped. My mom found the fake tempurpedic on Overstock and she ended up buying one just because. I slept on it one night and holy crap, SOLD. Ordered us a Cal King the next day. Stretching out and not getting kneed by the significant other nightly is FTW.

GF's sister spent $3500 on their real Tempurpedic and theres absolutely ZERO difference I can feel if I lay on their bed vs ours. And they only got a queen.

I'm looking into this , $500 is nice !

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I'm Sleep Number bed user as well. Since my back likes it different its awesome. Sometimes I set it stiff (~55) other times it likes a soft bed (~35). You don't get that kind of flexibility anywhere else.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Another happy sleep number bed user! I have had it for over 10 years, it is the best mattress I have ever slept on, nothing else has ever even come close.

I have extensive experience with beds and mattresses, over 58 years and counting.:-D

I've heard a few people say that they like them but I slept on one for 3 weeks and I hated it. It either got hard, or you sunk into a hole. It didn't get firmer or softer.

Our mattress is a pillow top from Denver Mattress and we LOVE it.

oldmodman

Established Member
ive made a lot of women happy in bed, does that count as experience? :shrug:

Unless you were doing "it' while you were asleep, then no.

I have a pillow top queen size from Simmons. It is one of those really high ones with a huge box spring. It's four years old now and still "sleeps" like new. I really like the fact that you can unzip the top of the mattress and throw it in the washing machine. And I can get different thickness replacement tops for it if I change my mind about the top layers softness.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I've heard a few people say that they like them but I slept on one for 3 weeks and I hated it. It either got hard, or you sunk into a hole. It didn't get firmer or softer.

Our mattress is a pillow top from Denver Mattress and we LOVE it.

I'm thinking it may have been operator error.:dw:

If you were able to set it too hard, and also too soft, then how you managed to NOT be able to find a comfortable setting in between SOMEWHERE, just seems like you did not have enough time to mess with it or just did not try that hard.

I also agree with Ryan, that the ability to change up the settings on a Number Bed, sometimes is just what the doctor ordered for getting a tight back to calm down.

You can't really change a regular bed.

With one of these, sometimes taking it either way, softer or hard, the change feels really good.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
I'm thinking it may have been operator error.:dw:

If you were able to set it too hard, and also too soft, then how you managed to NOT be able to find a comfortable setting in between SOMEWHERE, just seems like you did not have enough time to mess with it or just did not try that hard.

I also agree with Ryan, that the ability to change up the settings on a Number Bed, sometimes is just what the doctor ordered for getting a tight back to calm down.

You can't really change a regular bed.

With one of these, sometimes taking it either way, softer or hard, the change feels really good.

I messed with it a lot because I was trying to get comfortable, but honestly I never found a setting that I got a good night's sleep with. I felt like I was on an air mattress that wasn't inflated all the way. Worst 21 nights of sleep I've ever had.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I messed with it a lot because I was trying to get comfortable, but honestly I never found a setting that I got a good night's sleep with. I felt like I was on an air mattress that wasn't inflated all the way. Worst 21 nights of sleep I've ever had.

Yet you say that you were able to set it, so that it was too hard?

Hmm OK.:shrug:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
My parents hate their sleep number :shrug: but mom didnt like the fempurpedic either, it stayed in their guest room (my old room).

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Yet you say that you were able to set it, so that it was too hard?

Hmm OK.:shrug:

I was able to set it so that it was too hard, but as you set it "softer" it doesn't actually get softer. You just sink into a hole the "softer" you set it. It's basically a glorified air mattress. I was at a hotel for FedEx training and I actually had to sleep on the sofa in my room because the bed was so horribly uncomfortable.

S. Jersey Stang

Established Member
I had a decent pillowtop for about 3 years once I moved into my new house, and I thought it was a comfortable bed, but my back didn't always agree. There were days when I would just sit up in bed and all of the sudden have sciatic pain....I honestly didn't think it was from the bed but more from my workouts.

I then got a Tempurpedic mattress, and at first I hated the way it felt in general, but I was waking up much more well rested and without pain so I kept it.
It still is not quite "comfortable" when you first lay down in it, but I sleep better than I did on the pillowtop and my back pain has been completely eliminated since I made the switch.

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
I have a tempur pedic. Wife and I both were getting bad back problems from our old crappy matress. We finally broke down and bought a new. We with with a king size tempur pedic cloud. Took some getting used to, when you fall on the bed you don't bounce, makes "work" and little different....you have to "work it" more, but nothing wrong with that:banana: Both of us have said that we will never look at another type of mattress. Plus the warranties you get, 90 day FULL MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!!! NO RESTOCKING FEES. Plus it has a 30 year warranty, if the mattress ever deflects more than a 1/4" in those 30 years they will replace it for free. That warranty is through Tempur Pedic and not the mattress store, can't beat that if you ask me.

Yeah it cost a decent amount of money but a good night sleep is worth ten times more than that to me!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread