Who here wants to try this mod?

mach1033

Established Member
[ame=http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=763645]Welded Dif, What the hell!!! - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board[/ame]

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
You guys do realize that the guy trolled his forum, and that he welded that up as a joke... right?
Because truly NO ONE could actually be that stupid and still be able to get a rear end apart to weld it.

It was a pretty good prank.

scottminot

Established Member
Nothing wrong with a welded diff for offroading. I welded my 10.25" when I put it under my 78 Bronco.
It's a cheap mod. Just don't weld the pinion gear to the ring gear and you'll be fine.

Last edited:

oilwell1415

Established Member
It's not called a redneck TracLok, it's called a Lincoln Lock and it's a common offroad trick that provides the same traction as a spool, but the welds will typically snap before you twist an axle and strand yourself. It's become a cheapo way to have two wheel traction, but back in the day when we didn't have readily available aftermarket axles, diffs, etc. it was a viable option.

01FR500

HPDE
Established Member
Am I missing something here? I understand that he did this as a joke, but I think the point if the joke is that he welded the pinion gear to the ring gear, and that he did not weld the spider gears. You weld the ring and pinion gears together, shit ain't going to turn.

scottminot

Established Member
Am I missing something here? I understand that he did this as a joke, but I think the point if the joke is that he welded the pinion gear to the ring gear, and that he did not weld the spider gears. You weld the ring and pinion gears together, shit ain't going to turn.

Exactly. I don't think some people are really looking at what this clown welded.
He welded the ring and pinion gears. Not the differential gears.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
IDK about you guys but I ALWAYS believe people who post crazy shit as their first post. Funny how that board always has crazy threads like that by first time posters. It's almost as if they're just trying to pull visitors and up their ad revenue. Hmmmmmmm.

Users who are viewing this thread