Guys... Straight Razor Users

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member
Want to see how many guys, if not a few girls:poke:, use straight razors for shaving. I've recently gotten interested in it and really want to begin using them. I just signed up on Straight Razor Palace Forum Straight Razor Place Forum and did the usual welcome to the forums posting. I showed some pictures of the straight razor kit i received from my brother a Christmas ago and got some answers. Turned out to be a Pakistani crappy kit.

Anyways one of the guys on the forum offered to send me a slightly used razor that is still in great shape for my first straight razor shaving kit. I was blown away by how nice and informative it is over there and that there are still people willing to help. He said as long as I promised to offer it to another new member in time after I have a couple razors my self, he would send it to me. :beer:

So on to the point. Who uses them and what kinds do you use, what shaving cream and other items do you use?

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
Want to see how many guys, if not a few girls:poke:, use straight razors for shaving. I've recently gotten interested in it and really want to begin using them. I just signed up on Straight Razor Palace Forum Straight Razor Place Forum and did the usual welcome to the forums posting. I showed some pictures of the straight razor kit i received from my brother a Christmas ago and got some answers. Turned out to be a Pakistani crappy kit.

Anyways one of the guys on the forum offered to send me a slightly used razor that is still in great shape for my first straight razor shaving kit. I was blown away by how nice and informative it is over there and that there are still people willing to help. He said as long as I promised to offer it to another new member in time after I have a couple razors my self, he would send it to me. :beer:

So on to the point. Who uses them and what kinds do you use, what shaving cream and other items do you use?

I always wanted to give them a try

shit gives me razor burn no matter what... plus it freaks me out you can get HIV from them

ummm clean your blades?

Dragu1a

Established Member
there's was a barber shop off base in GA that offered straight razor services...from face/neck to shaving back and sides our hi & moto's. it was great, got the hot towel and the hot foam but never had the balls to do it myself.

Last

Established Member
I made a thread like this a few months ago, I don't use a straight razor, but I do use safety razors!

I think most people use soaps rather than shaving creams, they moisturize the face better and don't dry out like cream does. I use Proraso. I think a good place to look for razors would be an antique shop or maybe a knife store. Do you want to use one with replaceable blades or one that is just a blade?

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
I'm planning to get into straight razor shaving when I get back from deployment. I've checked out Straight Razor Place a few times and there's a lot of great info and some really helpful guys there.

I'm probably going to troll a few antique shops to find a cool looking razor to restore and start out with. Main thing I've heard is anything made in Solingen, Germany is a high quality piece.

ChromeSnake98

Established Member
Switched about 2 years ago to straight edge and haven't turned back since. I love how close of a shave you get and the preciseness of them. I normaly use some shaving lotion called rise or rize (can't remember) its great because it helps the shave and you can see through it if your trying to do a line up or a chin strap. I bought my straight edge oddly enough off eBay. It's nothing special but it works. And I bought 1000 disposable straight edge blades for like $5 it's amazing how much money you save over buying say a Gillette Mach III. and the lotion I got for a buck at the dollar store and it works great. I'd love to get a "real" straight edge, I used to have one many years ago. I got it as a hand me down from my great grand father who was a barber. The thing was awesome probably from the 1800's early 1900's, but I lost it

Last edited:

WHITESVTCOBRA

Established Member
I've got the kit but use a safety razor that my grandfather had, just make sure you get a brush that is 100% badger hair it will last you forever and makes the shaving cream so much lighter.

keith89

Established Member
I switched last year. There was a steep learning curve for the first few weeks but if you're determined and have patience, you'll stick with it. Expect to cut yourself a bunch of times lol. Have a styptic pencil handy to stop the bleeding. I also use the disposable blade type straight razor. The replacement blades are very cheap. Overall you save a lot of money over catridge razors and aerosol shaving creams/gels. A bar of shaving soap lasts several months.

george.arnold

Established Member
Safety razor for me. Nothing beats using a brush to lather some shaving soap up and working it in. The razor I bought is very heavy and I just let the weight of it do the work. Hardly ever get nicked and its closer than anything else I've tried.

Explosive

Established Member
My barber uses one, I have a beard but he will do the back of my neck, around my ears by the sideburns and the front of my neck as well. It's pretty awesome.

DSG04Lightning

U.S. PARATROOPER
Established Member
I have been thinking about getting one either straight or safety. I went to costo and didnt feel like dropping $45 on replacement razors. Any recommdations?

Fuerza

Established Member
How long does the edge last on a straight razor? I love using, but hate buying, my Gillette fusion razors. I was looking at straight razors on Art of Shaving, but they are like 100-200 bucks! I know you can resharpen, but I don't know how to do that or even shave with a straight razor.

I was actually looking into Dollar Shave Club, they seem to have some decent prices versus 17-20 for a pack of Geilletes. Dollar Shave Club

DSG04Lightning

U.S. PARATROOPER
Established Member
How long does the edge last on a straight razor? I love using, but hate buying, my Gillette fusion razors. I was looking at straight razors on Art of Shaving, but they are like 100-200 bucks! I know you can resharpen, but I don't know how to do that or even shave with a straight razor.

I was actually looking into Dollar Shave Club, they seem to have some decent prices versus 17-20 for a pack of Geilletes. Dollar Shave Club

This is an awesome idea. I like and just signed up.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Have a friend who tried using a straight razor. After his first shave, his face looked like someone took a lead pipe to it. He was all cut up for days and it obviously requires a bit of practice to get it right.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Have a friend who tried using a straight razor. After his first shave, his face looked like someone took a lead pipe to it. He was all cut up for days and it obviously requires a bit of practice to get it right.

I would assume that, like anything else, it takes time and effort to master. But once you do, the benefits are well worth it.

Did your friend keep with it?

AKcobra

Established Member
I have been considering getting into it. My brother in law uses the safety razor,and loves it. I went to a barber with my dad for an old fashioned shave with a straight blade and it was incredible. I visited The Art of Shaving, but couldn't bring myself to drop about $300 for everything needed. I need to do some more searching.

Fuerza

Established Member
I have been considering getting into it. My brother in law uses the safety razor,and loves it. I went to a barber with my dad for an old fashioned shave with a straight blade and it was incredible. I visited The Art of Shaving, but couldn't bring myself to drop about $300 for everything needed. I need to do some more searching.

A high quality straight razor can run big bucks! Google Japanese straight razors, talk about $$$. I did the Art of Shaving starter pack with the oil, brush, shave cream and after shave, it is fantastic! Art of Shaving uses Gillette cartrigies in their "fancy" handles so stick to a normal 20 Gillette handle. I did a straight razor shave in Vegas at Art of Shaving talk about nice! Always wanted to do the straight razor shaving but don't know how to master it.

Users who are viewing this thread