Mustang Makeover: What Does Ford Have in Mind?

DIB5.0

Established Member
Mustang Makeover: What Does Ford Have in Mind? - Driver's Seat - WSJ

For the last decade, auto makers have connected with baby boomers by recreating storied cars from their youth like the VW Beetle, Chevrolet Camaro and Dodge Challenger.

Now, Ford Motor Co. is betting it is time to hit the brakes on the retro trend, and shift its focus to a younger generation.

The Mustang, the Pony car that launched affordable and compact sports cars, today strongly hews to the look of the 1964 original. But Ford is working on radical makeover of its signature youth-market car, people familiar with Ford’s plans said. The next generation would retain the shark-nosed grille and round headlights, but would look more like the new Ford Fusion than the current Mustang, these people said.

The change is part of a bid to make the Mustang appeal to Generation Y, the roughly 80 million people who were born between 1980 and 1999. This demographic group is entering its peak car-buying years. Cars that their parents drive—and hark back to the days of Woodstock, 20 years before they were born—don’t really interest them.

“You cannot sustain sales without looking for new buyers. True, you are going to lose sales, but you need to refresh the population of buyers,” said Alexander Edwards, an analyst with Strategic Vision, a California research firm that helps auto companies understand why customers choose the vehicles they buy.

“The main goal that all automobile companies need to be successful at is, let’s prepare vehicles that the next generation will want to be in, but have all the other features that will still appeal to the older generation as well,” said Mr. Edwards.

For Ford, Gen Y may prove a difficult target. For many in this group, cars and driving just aren’t that cool in an era of iPads and Facebook. A 2011 study by the University of Michigan found that just two-thirds of all 18-year-olds had driver’s licenses in 2008, down from 80% in 1983.

Toyota Motor Corp. created a whole subbrand, Scion, to appeal to the Millennial Generation. But after some initial success, Scion sales are a third of the peak. Retro designs in particular don’t fly, either. Last year, VW sold just 6,468 Beetles in the U.S., compared with 81,134 in 2000. Last year, Chrysler Group LLC stopped making its retro car, the PT Cruiser.

The Mustang, which has had a strong retro look since 2005, is losing steam, too. Last year Ford sold 70,438, down 4.4% from 2010 and less than half the 166,530 it sold in 2006. Chevrolet’s redesigned Camaro and Chrysler’s Challenger each outsold their historical rival last month.

The new Mustang is due as a 2014 model, and will look somewhat like an Aston Martin, the high-price sports car often featured in James Bond movies. People who have seen the new Mustang said it is almost a body double for the Evos concept car that Ford showed at the Frankfurt auto show last fall.

A Ford spokesman said he couldn’t comment on Ford’s product plans for the Mustang.

Changing the Mustang’s look is a risky move for Ford because the car has such a big following, said Rebecca Lindland, an analyst with researcher IHS Automotive Inc. “Ford has had so much success with [the retro Mustang], there is significant risk of going somewhat away from it,” she said. “You have to evolve the design, but it is a risk to change it too fast or radically.”

Baby boomers are still an important demographic. They drove booms in minivans, sport-utility vehicles and luxury cars in addition to retro models. But with the oldest boomers now retired, that generation is near the end of its run as hard-charging car consumers.

The average Mustang buyer today is 51 years old, Mr. Edwards said. They fall into the category of “near-luxury” consumers in terms of spending habits and tend to include more men than women. They like power and performance, he said.

Lee Stewart a 45-year-old accountant from Bristow, Va., just ordered a 2013 Mustang GT convertible, and loves the current, 1960s look. The Evos concept car, he added, is “a beautiful automobile, but it isn’t a Mustang.”

The original Mustang launched a whole category of inexpensive, sporty cars with a uniquely American look. The vehicle was a pet project of then Ford Vice President Lee Iacocca, who kept it alive after Henry Ford II had rejected early concepts.

It hit the market as baby boomers were in their teens and its rapid success triggered a host of similarly, small, four-seater sports cars. General Motors Co. countered with its Camaro, and Chrysler added the Dodge Charger and Challenger. In a nod to the Mustang, they were known as “Pony cars.”

In the 1970s, Detroit faced rising competition from small Japanese and fuel-economy regulations. The Big Three shrank their pony cars and changed their looks dramatically, and they all but faded from the roads by the late 1990s.

In 1998, Volkswagen AG tapped into boomer nostalgia when it reincarnated the Beetle. In 2005, the retro-style Mustang was launched and it was a hit.

But for Adam Perito, 32, a recruiter who is on the leading edge of Generation Y, the current Mustang is great and he is looking to buy one, but “the new one looks pretty sweet. Maybe I should wait until it comes out.”

ViciousJay

Established Member
god i pray every day they go the fusion route and screw it up so no one wants one and forces my car value through the roof

cdog1157

Established Member
The 2013's finally came out so now he's already posting about the 14's, lol. Looking forward to reading your many upcoming threads on the subject.

DIB5.0

Established Member
If your not interested DONT READ IT! Its America YOU HAVE A CHOICE! But you will read 50 pages if a CAI make 5 or 10hp. Some people like new info.

Last edited:

kingnut

Established Member
about time. mustang has been milking this "feel like your 16 again campaign" for all the 45-65 year olds out there. well this isnt 1965, if i wanted a car that looked like it was designed and built in 1965... then i would just buy one manufactured from that year.

2014 is gonna be the new model??? only one year with the refreshed 5.0? i find that hard to believe. i bet the new design wont drop til 2014 which means its really a 2015.

Last edited:

DIB5.0

Established Member
about time. mustang has been milking this "feel like your 16 again campaign" for all the 45-65 year olds out there. well this isnt 1965, if i wanted a car that looked like it was designed and built in 1965... then i would just buy one manufactured from that year.

2014 is gonna be the new model??? only one year with the refreshed 5.0? i find that hard to believe. i bet the new design wont drop til 2014 which means its really a 2015.

You are right. 2014 being a 2015

kingnut

Established Member
You are right. 2014 being a 2015

if thats the case, there is gonna be so many photos on the web of people spotting the next mustang prototype its not gonna be funny. i think ford has the opportunity to set the tone for what a more futuristic muscle car should be. i would love to see something a little smaller, lighter, and agile.

jj6077

Established Member
I will probably buy the next gen mustang if it doesnt appeal to drivers that hang dolls on their rear bumper.

DIB5.0

Established Member
From what i heard it will be lighter but the same size of the current Mustang because of the safety standards yet appear smaller than the current stang.

DIB5.0

Established Member
+1239013810418039102134801

Look who is talking. You comment on stuff you do not even know anything about just to post. You just had to come in here and your .01 sense just to up your post count.;-)

Last edited:

ViperBlueCobra

5.0 FTW
Established Member
already know what they look like...

i002176.jpg

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Good. I hated the retro theme back in 05. The mustang has been looking better as they depart further from the retro look. I'm gen Y and I fall into the target group they are aiming for with the next mustang. Like the article says my generation is not all that enthusiastic about the retro look, since 05 I have not been motivated to purchase a new mustang. The new 5.0 engine provides a lot of motivation but the body its in does not. I'd much sooner swap a new 5.0 into my 97 Cobra than buy a new 2013. A lot of times when I look at the BMW M3 I think that thats what the mustang should have evolved into looks wise.

Users who are viewing this thread