Best way to see what internals are in 97 cobra

04owmach

Established Member
I have gotten mixed input from past owners on what is in the car (forged or not). Short of pulling the motor and tearing it down what the best way to see what's in there? I thought about trying to get a hold of a boroscope but all ill be able to see is the top of the piston. Don't have permanent access to a garage right now so a teardown is not possible but im ready to turn the wick up on this thing and see what it'll do. thanks in advance! :beer:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I have gotten mixed input from past owners on what is in the car (forged or not). Short of pulling the motor and tearing it down what the best way to see what's in there? I thought about trying to get a hold of a boroscope but all ill be able to see is the top of the piston. Don't have permanent access to a garage right now so a teardown is not possible but im ready to turn the wick up on this thing and see what it'll do. thanks in advance! :beer:

Drop the oil pan... the crank is forged from the factory, so that's good to go.

04owmach

Established Member
For some reason i was thinking on these you couldn't drop the pan without dropping the cross member down. I might be thinking of the 70 nova i had as it had a leaky oil pan and it was easier to pull the motor to replace the gasket, but i've never had to pull the pan on a mustang.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
run a 200shot of nitrous through it repeatedly, if it doesn't blow in a week its probably forged:beer:

ok, im not helping either. Just drop the pan and take a look.

04owmach

Established Member
run a 200shot of nitrous through it repeatedly, if it doesn't blow in a week its probably forged:beer:

ok, im not helping either. Just drop the pan and take a look.

that would be one hell of a ride with the 13 lbs of boost already going through it! Gonna try and see if i can find somewhere to work on it and pull the pan... no where to do it in my apartment complex.

Users who are viewing this thread