Verizon to phase out unlimited data plans from existing customers

Planter

Banned
This is ****ing bullshit!

Verizon to end unlimited data for upgraders - May. 16, 2012

I have the 4G Droid Razr with unlimited text, calls and data and my bill is $127 a month after taxes.

I do a lot of my photography work of sending pics to clients for review and if they end the unlimited data plan, then my costs will increase astronomically.

So far, it says when you upgrade, they wont let you keep your unlimited plan, AND they stick you for a $30 upgrade charge, PLUS whatever the phone costs.

Somethings gonna have to give, and I think I'm about to cancel the comcast at home, and start tethering my phone to my computers, because sadly my Verizon 4G is faster than my comcast...:dw:.

My Razr is rooted, so Verizon can't tell if I'm tethering or not, although they could probably suspect I am doing so.

I refuse to go to sprint, already had them and they're about as worthless as a noob's first Smackdown thread. T-mobile, is that even a legit cell phone carrier? I roflmao at AT&T. There is no one else that's a major player in the game, so who do you go to?

Capitalism is the only reason internet data is so high in this country. Most of Asia is at about 1/3 of our costs for high speed internet. :nonono: Nothing more than corporate greed.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I would love to have solid reception, unlimited internet, and high speed. unfortunately you can't get all three in a single service. I had to go with the solid reception and speed and went with verizon. I have yet to find a place I don't have reception. I know they are out there but I apparently don't visit those places.

Planter

Banned
I just won't upgrade again. I'll wait a few months after a phone comes out, buy one on craigslist at my cost and just swap the ESN's. screw 'em. They wanna hit my wallet, I'm gonna hit theirs. I'll start massive downloading on tether to my laptop, never upgrade, never pay their stupid $30 upgrade charge, plus the cost of the new phone, and all the taxes, and shipping charges and they can kiss my ass. Two can play at that game.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
"The CFO emphasized that the plan is "paper, not actual." A Verizon Wireless spokesman declined to comment on issue"

I really hope they dont go to that system...I might go to sprint now...

20redfire03

Established Member
I read this and its pretty much bullshit. I dont see why they are complaining about more data being used when its their own fault for damn near forcing smartphones on the customers by offering very few non-smartphone phones. And I was planning on upgrading sometime this summer if the iphone5 came out and I liked what I saw but making you pay $30 to upgrade is ridiculous. Looks like I will keep my Droid X and its 3G with my unlimited which verizon throttles down once I get near 1.5GB which again is bullshit.

Planter

Banned
I would love to have solid reception, unlimited internet, and high speed. unfortunately you can't get all three in a single service. I had to go with the solid reception and speed and went with verizon. I have yet to find a place I don't have reception. I know they are out there but I apparently don't visit those places.

you on 3G or 4G RDJ?

If you're on 3G, pickup a direct connect amp with antenna. you can connect it to the antenna port on your phone, when you're at home or in the car, and it will boost your signal to max signal.

Maximum Signal

I used one out in Western Oklahoma, about 50-60 miles west of Enid, where there is absolutely NO SIGNAL at all, and I have 5 bars of service with the amp connected.

mike.b

Established Member
I just love how the FCC blocked AT&T's efforts to purchase the joke that is T-Mobile and allows Verizon to buy up more spectrum....either regulate across the board and actually help consumers or stay the **** out of it completely FCC....

Stanger00

Established Member
That is pretty lame. I still have the unlimited data plan but am only on 3g...I also tethered my laptop to my old LG phone and my internet was turned off because I used too much data! I guess there is a 'cap' to their unlimited service. Some service rep told this to me over the phone. I was downloading a crazy amount of tv shows since I didnt have cable.

03bananacobra

Established Member
im calling verizon right now.....those who are "grandfathered in" with the unlimited internet data poackage on their phone even when u upgrade wont be charged by usage u still keep ur unlimited internet package. im pissed about the 30 bullshit but w.e. i got this crappy bb storm 2 nd it needs to go. looks like im upgrading tmr

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
Consider an app like PdaNet, which gets the job done, connects your phone to your laptop differently, and also gives you the option to hide your tethering activity from your carrier.

PdaNet isn't the only app that promises to hide tethering activity from your carrier, but it's definitely one of the best and most well known.

Most carriers are worried enough about PdaNet and apps like it that they do to great lengths to keep you from installing them. Android users have to side-load the app because carriers have asked Google to hide the app from their users in the market, and iOS users all have to jailbreak to get them.

I use clockworkmod tether on the android!

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
If they do this im done with them. I pay more for their service so I get unlimited. If that is gone, back to sprint I go

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Planter, link to photography por favor.......

**** that i pay $51 with T mobile but then again I see what you mean on sending stuff to your clients, that could get real old and expensive real quick.

Users who are viewing this thread