General Motors Is Headed For Bankruptcy -- Again

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
President Obama is proud of his bailout of General Motors. That’s good, because, if he wins a second term, he is probably going to have to bail GM out again. The company is once again losing market share, and it seems unable to develop products that are truly competitive in the U.S. market.

Right now, the federal government owns 500,000,000 shares of GM, or about 26% of the company. It would need to get about $53.00/share for these to break even on the bailout, but the stock closed at only $20.21/share on Tuesday. This left the government holding $10.1 billion worth of stock, and sitting on an unrealized loss of $16.4 billion.

Right now, the government’s GM stock is worth about 39% less than it was on November 17, 2010, when the company went public at $33.00/share. However, during the intervening time, the Dow Jones Industrial Average has risen by almost 20%, so GM shares have lost 49% of their value relative to the Dow.

It’s doubtful that the Obama administration would attempt to sell off the government’s massive position in GM while the stock price is falling. It would be too embarrassing politically. Accordingly, if GM shares continue to decline, it is likely that Obama would ride the stock down to zero.

GM is unlikely to hit the wall before the election, but, given current trends, the company could easily do so again before the end of a second Obama term.

In the 1960s, GM averaged a 48.3% share of the U.S. car and truck market. For the first 7 months of 2012, their market share was 18.0%, down from 20.0% for the same period in 2011. With a loss of market share comes a loss of relative cost-competitiveness. There is only so much market share that GM can lose before it would no longer have the resources to attempt to recover.

To help understand why GM keeps losing market share, let’s look at the saga of the Chevy Malibu.

The Malibu is GM’s entry in the automobile market’s “D-Segment”. The D-Segment comprises mid-size, popularly priced, family sedans, like the Toyota Camry and the Honda Accord. The D-Segment accounted for 14.7% of the total U.S. vehicle market in 2011, and 21.3% during the first 7 months of 2012.

Because the D-Segment is the highest volume single vehicle class in the U.S., and the U.S. is GM’s home market, it is difficult to imagine how GM could survive long term unless it can profitably develop, manufacture, and market a vehicle that can hold its own in the D-Segment. This is true not only because of the revenue potential of the D-Segment, but also because of what an also-ran Malibu would say about GM’s ability to execute at this time in its history.

GM is in the process of introducing a totally redesigned 2013 Chevy Malibu. It will compete in the D-Segment with, among others, the following: the Ford Fusion (totally redesigned for 2013); the Honda Accord (totally redesigned for 2013); the Hyundai Sonata (totally redesigned for 2011); the Nissan Altima (totally redesigned for 2013); the Toyota Camry (refreshed for 2013); and the Volkswagen Passat (totally redesigned for 2012).

Automobile technology is progressing so fast that the best vehicle in a given segment is usually just the newest design in that segment. Accordingly, if a car company comes out with a new, completely redesigned vehicle, it had better be superior to the older models being offered by its competitors. If it is not, the company will spend the next five years (the usual time between major redesigns in this segment) losing market share and/or offering costly “incentives” to “move the metal”.

More here General Motors Is Headed For Bankruptcy -- Again - Forbes

So you're telling me the American people don't want plastic pieces of re-badged shit that look like every other car. Who would'a thought???

doughboyracing

Established Member
Wow. Hard to believe they'd run that commercial voiced by Tim Allen saying how proud they are where they're at. Everytime I hear it I can't help but think "really?"

snakecharmer

Established Member
While I drive one, I was none too pleased with the first bailout, and I will be uber-pissed if it happens a second time. If they cannot clean up their act and survive on their own merits, then they do not deserve to survive at all. NO MORE BAILOUTS.

4a7191a

Established Member
i find that funny, lol...
my buddys got an H2 hummer, is a chevy guy. he is always talking smack on my car and truck, yet his craps always breaking down and my fords keep on going. hes had a/c problems, instrument cluster failure, tq converter and front differential redone and now his rear diff. is leaking. 64k miles.... what quality? lol

ViciousJay

Established Member
While I drive one, I was none too pleased with the first bailout, and I will be uber-pissed if it happens a second time. If they cannot clean up their act and survive on their own merits, then they do not deserve to survive at all. NO MORE BAILOUTS.

Then our country suffers big time

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Thinly veiled political propaganda.... when things are slow, just churn out a GM/Obama story. Especially when it's an election year. :bored:

GM is doing fine.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've been following GM, and their future is nowhere close to where Ford is going. It's too early to be overly concerned because things can turn around in a more positive direction. Sadly, they can't seem to catch the passion and market focus that Ford has. It doesn't take much to lose market share. Just ask Honda about the re-designed Civic and how much negative re-action it's gotten from the public. How the public responds to the new Accord will dictate much of Honda's future. Hopefully for our sakes GM will pull through.

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
I figured GM would be doing pretty good with the way their butt f'in Gen 5's have been selling. I see more of them than I do new F150's

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Short term, yes, the country will suffer. Losing GM will create a tremendous void. But ten, a hundred, or more, companies will rise to fill the void left behind by GM. Ford and Chrysler (and all the rest) will move in to fill the void. New factories will open, old factories will be rebuilt, more innovation will come to market, and long term, everyone wins.

But one thing is certain: the longer GM is artificially propped up, the more devastating the eventual crash will be. Better to cut the cord now and get the pain and suffering over with and get on with rebuilding.

Then our country suffers big time

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Thinly veiled political propaganda.... when things are slow, just churn out a GM/Obama story. Especially when it's an election year. :bored:

GM is doing fine.

I fail to see the humor in your post. You did mean it to be funny, didn't you?

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Short term, yes, the country will suffer. Losing GM will create a tremendous void. But ten, a hundred, or more, companies will rise to fill the void left behind by GM. Ford and Chrysler (and all the rest) will move in to fill the void. New factories will open, old factories will be rebuilt, more innovation will come to market, and long term, everyone wins.

But one thing is certain: the longer GM is artificially propped up, the more devastating the eventual crash will be. Better to cut the cord now and get the pain and suffering over with and get on with rebuilding.

This. The potential sales in just new trucks from GM alone would end up being dispersed between Ford and Dodge. That upswing would do wonders for those brands in expansion to keep up with demand as buyers make the switch to the other brands. They sell what, about 750k Silverados/Sierras per year?

Last edited:

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
A lot of what I'm hearing is what the problem with last time was. Bankruptcy doesn't mean closing their doors, it means reorganization to get rid of debt. The worst thing that happened to GM was being propped up by the government, if they had gone through a regular bankruptcy, they wouldn't be so beholden to the unions or the political agenda now.

00WHTSC281

Established Member

GM is the largest insurance provider in the US. Millions of people depend on them for insurance, jobs, and retirement. The Gov. Will be forced to pick up the retirement plans, and the massive increase in unemployment. The short term effect on a already shaky economy would be disastrous. GM is much more important to this contry than you think.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
The same principle still applies. Lose one big insurance company, dozens more will pop up to fill that void. Companies that will have to hire people to grow and expand.

There is no way around the suffering that will happen when GM folds; the only variable we can control is how big and bad the crash will be. The longer we wait, the worse it will be.

Maybe in the future we won't let a company continue to grow until it becomes too big to allow it to fail. Maybe we will cap a companies growth when it hits a certain percentage of GDP; after that it gets split into a dozen smaller companies.

But for now we have a train wreck about to happen, and everyone sees it about to happen, and we aren't able to do anything that will prevent it. We can only control just how bad it will be.

GM is the largest insurance provider in the US. Millions of people depend on them for insurance, jobs, and retirement. The Gov. Will be forced to pick up the retirement plans, and the massive increase in unemployment. The short term effect on a already shaky economy would be disastrous. GM is much more important to this contry than you think.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
The UAW is ****ing them and everyother company that employs them. Line workers getting paid a redicilous amount of money for doing a job that requires no skill at all with all sorts of benefits. The only reason why I wish GM would have filed for bankruptcy would have been to restructure and get rid of that POS union.

Users who are viewing this thread