Tips for first time...ever...

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
to the 1320. :p Gotcha! :D

Super cereal now. I searched, but other threads I found were more of car/experience specific. I'm going to be making my first ever runs at the 1/4 this Friday night at Dallas Raceway. Hoping the weather yields a good DA for NTX in Sept.

I am open for all serious suggestions for how to go about operating my car...since it's different than Forza in real life. :burn: I've done a couple of launches on the street, with fire spin galore.

My car is a 2013 Brembo 5.0 M6 with 3.55s and GT500 ABs and the stock 255/40/ZR19 PZeros.

Thanks, fellas. :beer:

Phallen

Trackday Junkie
Established Member
First and foremost, forget about getting that 'time'.

Practice.

The most important thing you need to go after, is consistency. From there, you can work on the your 60 foot time. Your sole focus is the smallest 60 foot time, which is paramount to making a great 1/4 mile run.

Practice.

Scoot your seat forward so that you are close to steering wheel. Lock your left elbow on the door/window sill so that your left arm almost can't move. This is important because it allows minimal movement on the steering wheel.

Practice.

When you're about to shift, put a light amount of pressure on the shifter first. The goal is fast and smooth but NOT hard and aggressive. Make a game of it...how fast can you shift but doing so as smoothly as possible.

Practice.

You're going to have to back pedal the car since you have the stock 19 inch tires on. Simply, you will need to experiment with how much power you can put in while still holding onto traction.

Practice.

Be consistent, even if the 60 foot times suck in the beginning. You'll need to experiment with short shifting the car to 2nd if need be, and comparing times.

Practice.

LOG YOUR BEST TIMES and makes notes to why you think you did well. You will find that what seems like the slowest runs actually are the fastest times.

There was something else that you need to do a lot of as well. Can't remember what that was......

MARK C

Established Member
Relax, is dam good advise! Your heart will be PUMPING to say the least! Your not there to race others, but to race your car against the clock! Remember that!
You will need a snell 2000 or newer helmet! At least you will if you break the 13's. LOL I'm sure you will. You will get better with every run! Good luck!

oem

Custom User Title
Established Member
Practice slipping the clutch out the hole, that will help the most with hooking up.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
dont even try your first run. Just get down where to stage. Watching the lights. Whats happennig around you. Get your shifting down and where to let up and exit the track. Let the first run be a throw away. Then get to work after. I remember being 16-17 years old and asking peolpe to ride with me the first few runs that have been to the track just to give me pointers.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Save your money and go to a real driving event (hpde). Get use out of more of your car than just how it does in a straight line.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Thank guys. As much as I would like to cut a lower 12 my first time out, I know that won't happen. :(

I will definitely give the clutch slipping a try. I was mainly just going to give my first go an easy out of the box with no burnout. I definitely thought of having someone with experience to ride with me to give me some tips as well. The track is an all concrete track, IHRA 1/4 mi. Temps are forecast with highs in the mid 70s and a low of 61 for Friday. It's supposed to rain so hoping the humidity isn't a DA killer.

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
I was awful my first and only time at the strip. The best advice i can give though is if you go to far on your line up, reverse all the way and re-do your line up. I cant tell you how many times i tried to inch backwards and the tree would count down while still in reverse.

NC STANG GUY

03 gone but not forgotten
Established Member
Relax, is dam good advise! Your heart will be PUMPING to say the least! Your not there to race others, but to race your car against the clock! Remember that!
You will need a snell 2000 or newer helmet! At least you will if you break the 13's. LOL I'm sure you will. You will get better with every run! Good luck!

Not all tracks have the same safety requirements. Long as you have a helmet most around my area don't care.

Save your money and go to a real driving event (hpde). Get use out of more of your car than just how it does in a straight line.

Don't be a douche. Yes open track time is am absolute blast but so is mastering launch technique and getting the best 1/4 mile time. Besides dragstrip time is VERY cheap compared to HPDE events.

Best advice to the OP... don't worry about reaction time. Just concentrate on getting off the line well and hitting your shifts.

Last edited:

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Thank guys. As much as I would like to cut a lower 12 my first time out, I know that won't happen. :(

I will definitely give the clutch slipping a try. I was mainly just going to give my first go an easy out of the box with no burnout. I definitely thought of having someone with experience to ride with me to give me some tips as well. The track is an all concrete track, IHRA 1/4 mi. Temps are forecast with highs in the mid 70s and a low of 61 for Friday. It's supposed to rain so hoping the humidity isn't a DA killer.

My first time I went from 14.4 to 13.3. Its possible to get into the 12's. I red lighted my first run because I was so nervous my first time lol. Just relax and have a good time. Dont worry about beating the guy next to you either.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member

Oh please. Drag racing is still fun. I don't think the OP said, "I'm thinking about going to the dragstrip for the first time ever....but I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions."

Have fun OP and don't worry about whatever is in the other lane.

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
Bounce it off the rev limiter and then dump the clutch best times guaranteed. :thumbsup: I kid I kid. Practice, relax and have fun.

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
Just have fun and don't expect too much. My car trapped 108.9mph but only at a 13.4. I know it should be a better time but you gotta practice.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Drive around the water box. Don't worry about your RT, just stage and launch when you want. If you spin bad, abort the run. Don't pedal it and then get back in it, the run is already crap. lol

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
My advice would be two things:

1) Go to the Corvette Forum and read everything "Ranger" has posted about driving tips and techniques.

2) Get as much seat time as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread