Rumors about the 2014 Ecoboost GT500.

svt1111

Established Member
EcoBoost V8 would make a great Halo powerplant for Ford's new series of engines. And they could promote its power and efficiency over their competition.

Plus, should be easy to squeeze 80 to 100 rwhp with a tune only! I say 'bring it.'

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
first they said that it would show up in the 2011 GT500. now we know that it's getting an aluminum 5.4l. then they said it would show up in the 2012 GT500. now they are saying that it will show up in the 2014 GT500.

see people, this is why you don't look for 'insider info' on autoblog, jalopnik, etc.

bpmurr

Established Member
At first I was kind of bummed about the new engines. Then I got in my car and didn't care anymore. There is always going to be something better. That's just the way it works.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
i dont see it happening untill the ecoboost proves it self over some time

Supernova

Established Member
first they said that it would show up in the 2011 gt500. Now we know that it's getting an aluminum 5.4l. Then they said it would show up in the 2012 gt500. Now they are saying that it will show up in the 2014 gt500.

See people, this is why you don't look for 'insider info' on autoblog, jalopnik, etc.
and
at first i was kind of bummed about the new engines. Then i got in my car and didn't care anymore. There is always going to be something better. That's just the way it works.

+1

rdsnk46

Established Member
Cant foresee the future, live in the now until it becomes the future! Make choices as they are presented to you. I love my current choice!

500 SNKE

500 Addict
Established Member
Cant foresee the future, live in the now until it becomes the future! Make choices as they are presented to you. I love my current choice!

Well said.

If you sit around waiting for what will come tomorrow, you will accomplish very little.

During the 70's there were big rumors of a Mid-engine Corvette.
Where is it?

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
At first I was kind of bummed about the new engines. Then I got in my car and didn't care anymore. There is always going to be something better. That's just the way it works.

That's exactly the case, at some point you have to draw a line and say no more, then step over it a little while later.;-)

However I'm all for the ongoing Horsepower war, I just won't be able to be a player with every new evolution of the Mustang, but it's great for everyone else. I look at the current factory powerplant in the GT500 and see blower swap numbers creeping well towards 1000 BHP, and say that's good enough for me. My old 5.0L treatens to split like a block of wood around my current power level and the GT500 engine is mind boggling by comparison.

For the guys running the streets and the tracks hopefully any new offering will give a good account of itself.

I think it's awesome to be of a driving (and purchasing) age in the second coming of the muscle car wars.

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member

but technically if i live in the now, present, i can never live in the future!?!?!?

22825800-02-57.jpg

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
I'm all for progress, but if it's the 5 liter, count me out. We're already down almost a liter to the GM cars (6.2 vs. 5.4). If we shrink any more, we'll really have trouble keeping up with a tuned Z-28 on pump gas. Sure, we'll be okay stock for stock, and at the racetrack on 120 octane, but the typical 'bolt on' street car on pump gas will have a power ceiling well below the bigger cube GM.

Unfortunately CAFE standards may force Ford into a 'smaller' engine for the GT500 / Cobra.:nonono: The bright side is: a 5.0 GT500 would definately handle better!

Now throw some 4V heads on the an aluminum version of the 6.2L Boss, along with a factory blower, and I would find no reason to complain.

pwrhungry

Established Member
I'm all for progress, but if it's the 5 liter, count me out. We're already down almost a liter to the GM cars (6.2 vs. 5.4). If we shrink any more, we'll really have trouble keeping up with a tuned Z-28 on pump gas. Sure, we'll be okay stock for stock, and at the racetrack on 120 octane, but the typical 'bolt on' street car on pump gas will have a power ceiling well below the bigger cube GM.

Unfortunately CAFE standards may force Ford into a 'smaller' engine for the GT500 / Cobra.:nonono: The bright side is: a 5.0 GT500 would definately handle better!

Now throw some 4V heads on the an aluminum version of the 6.2L Boss, along with a factory blower, and I would find no reason to complain.

My little 04 4.6 turbo cobra made 700rwhp on 18#s of boost and pump gas. You have over 6 years of advancments of turbos, direct injection, and a extra .4 liters over that. I think you will be just fine without a 5.4 or 6.2. Also you wallet will appriciate it.

I think some of you need to get out of that muscle car mentality. You will still have 2.0 liters over them little supra's im sure you still fear when you run into one on the street.

chuckstang

Established Member

sureeeeeeeee

Everyone would complain about the weight

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
My little 04 4.6 turbo cobra made 700rwhp on 18#s of boost and pump gas. You have over 6 years of advancments of turbos, direct injection, and a extra .4 liters over that. I think you will be just fine without a 5.4 or 6.2. Also you wallet will appriciate it.

I think some of you need to get out of that muscle car mentality. You will still have 2.0 liters over them little supra's im sure you still fear when you run into one on the street.

+1! The coyote engine is supposed to be a new design, supposedly the only thing it shares with the DOHC modulars now is that it is a DOHC. With direct injection and turbo's that car will be a ****ing beast, not to mention it will weigh less. I think its a good idea and a step in the right direction.

SpectorV

Established Member
As with all rumors they spread and people know they shouldn't believe them but want to anyway lol... they are are 99% baseless.

But just between me and you... I have an insider that swears the 2014 GT500 will be built on Fords secret moon base.

Supercharger

Established Member
I don't like that turbo-lag you get driving a turbocharged vehicle on the street. It's fine for racing I guess but annoying when you are not at high revs all the time. I would think it would be even more annoying in a high power V8 engine versus those small block European turbocharged engines. Haven't driven a new Taurus -- has Ford figured out a way to get rid or minimize the turbo-lag?

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I don't like that turbo-lag you get driving a turbocharged vehicle on the street. It's fine for racing I guess but annoying when you are not at high revs all the time. I would think it would be even more annoying in a high power V8 engine versus those small block European turbocharged engines. Haven't driven a new Taurus -- has Ford figured out a way to get rid or minimize the turbo-lag?

With properly sized turbo's there really wont be any lag. And lag would be less annoying with a turboed v8 due to the torque the v8 makes in the low rpm vs a 4 or 6 cylinder turbo car. Turbo is the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread