The rear suspension that could have been

jes_csx

Established Member
Let me briefly introduced myself. My name is jes and I've been lurking here for about 7 years and never had much to contribute until now.
Well guess what I came across.
2007IRSsmall.jpg

Not something you see everyday!

I guess there were 10 made and the other 9 were destroyed.
I should be getting more info tomorrow.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Ok, so it appears to be a prototype mule grade IRS assembly.

Looks heavy as stink.

I think I speak for most everyone here (esp. those of us that own 03/4 IRS cars)...I'm soooo glad they went with a stick axle and not an adapted IRS. Other than some very random potholes, I have no complaints with the stick axle in the new body.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Ok, so it appears to be a prototype mule grade IRS assembly.

Looks heavy as stink.

I think I speak for most everyone here (esp. those of us that own 03/4 IRS cars)...I'm soooo glad they went with a stick axle and not an adapted IRS. Other than some very random potholes, I have no complaints with the stick axle in the new body.

i gotta disagree, i had an 03 cobra before my GT500. i would love to have an IRS in the GT500. this guy looks to have one sweet as IRS. more pics would be nice.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
So, Jes, do you have this in your possession or just some pics?

I hope this doesn't degrade into a SLA vs IRS thread, nothing new there. Very cool find that you have posted. Some day maybe folks will be way into the development history of these cars like the stories from days gone by!

Oh yeah, I've been here around 7 years too. And despite having little to contribute myself, I have managed 300 posts!

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
wow, very cool! i guess we know for fact now that ford wasn't lying about testing both the IRS and SRA in the GT500 and not seeing any difference in performance!

thank god that thing didn't make production, the car would have, without a doubt, hit the 4,000lb mark.
More pics.

I stumbled upon this website tonight on Autoblog.

MUSTANG IRS - Independent Rear Suspensions For New & Classic Ford Mustangs It's interesting to see a IRS in the 05+ body style.
that IRS is the VERY compromised jaguar style IRS. basically, instead of having an upper and lower control arm, it just has a lower control arm and the half shaft doubles as the upper control arm. it's not hard to imagine that this leads to some pretty funky dynamic geometry as the suspension moves, as well as limiting adjustability too. i would imagine that it's hard on the half shafts when used in a high performance setting.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Maximum Motorsports showed off their own IRS for S197 cars a few years ago at SEMA. I guess they gave up on that idea as well.

Oh well, 3 link works great. :rockon:

jes_csx

Established Member
Yes, this is a prototype Ford unit. I have many more pictures but they are 5mb each and I will likely be putting them into a more user friendly gallery format. I do not have it in my possession, but I should shortly, along with the springs, driveshaft and brembo calipers. This was the final iteration of the production ready IRS. Ford had several steel versions in testing that were determined to be too heavy and Roush developed this Aluminum unit to address the weight issue. I do not have a specific weight yet, but it is supposedly no heavier then a SLA... possibly lighter. It performed better then the SLA in every way (most noticeably ride and handling over bumpier surfaces, but hooked up only slightly better) but it was determined by Ford not to be enough to justify the MUCH MUCH higher cost over a simple well developed SLA. This information fits pretty well into what has been considered "common knowledge" about the subject, so there is no need to stir the SLA vs IRS debate.
The personal irony is that this specific debate drives me nuts. The pro's and cons of each should be fairly clear. I really get into development history because it is part of my job (60's Fords and Shelbys, and now the new cars more and more). And now here I am, unintentionally throwing one huge spoon into that pot.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Let me briefly introduced myself. My name is jes and I've been lurking here for about 7 years and never had much to contribute until now.
Well guess what I came across.
2007IRSsmall.jpg

Not something you see everyday!

I guess there were 10 made and the other 9 were destroyed.
I should be getting more info tomorrow.

According to a reliable source, there is one still floating around (in a car) in the Ford system.

Yes, this is a prototype Ford unit. I have many more pictures but they are 5mb each and I will likely be putting them into a more user friendly gallery format. I do not have it in my possession, but I should shortly, along with the springs, driveshaft and brembo calipers. This was the final iteration of the production ready IRS. Ford had several steel versions in testing that were determined to be too heavy and Roush developed this Aluminum unit to address the weight issue. I do not have a specific weight yet, but it is supposedly no heavier then a SLA... possibly lighter. It performed better then the SLA in every way (most noticeably ride and handling over bumpier surfaces, but hooked up only slightly better) but it was determined by Ford not to be enough to justify the MUCH MUCH higher cost over a simple well developed SLA. This information fits pretty well into what has been considered "common knowledge" about the subject, so there is no need to stir the SLA vs IRS debate.
The personal irony is that this specific debate drives me nuts. The pro's and cons of each should be fairly clear. I really get into development history because it is part of my job (60's Fords and Shelbys, and now the new cars more and more). And now here I am, unintentionally throwing one huge spoon into that pot.

You actually mean to say SRA not SLA. There is a HUGE difference between the two.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

jes_csx

Established Member
You actually mean to say SRA not SLA. There is a HUGE difference between the two.

OK, I thought SLA is both Solid Live Axle and Short Long Arm (when referring to front suspension).

I've heard both SLA and SRA used regarding the rear axle.

I'm not surprised there is one floating around. I wish there was more info on this car available. Do you know if its one of those GT based mules, or closer to a production GT500?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Hmm. That's odd. The latest shot you provided shows a portion of the rear cover. Looks a lot like the Explorer/Mountaineer cover. Vent appears to be in the same location as well...

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

jes_csx

Established Member
I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same setup. Cost being a concern it makes sense that they would use off the shelf parts.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Our prayers have been answered! Maximum Motorsports, a company that specializes in performance suspension components for Ford Mustangs, is showing two new suspension systems for the 2005+ Ford Mustang. The front suspension system is a double A-arm independent setup to replace the stock strut configuration. The big news is in the rear, where Maximum has created an independent rear suspension system to replace the stock Mustang's solid rear axle. The vehicle concept also includes Bilstein coil-overs with Eibach springs at all four corners. We've been waiting for the aftermarket to respond to the new Mustang in this way, with competition quality aftermarket suspension components. Thanks to Eric Bryant for snatching up these pics in his coverage of the SEMA show in Las Vegas.

3060000000052076.JPG
3060000000052077.JPG
3060000000052081.JPG

Maximum Motorsports shows off IRS suspension for Mustang — Autoblog

This was shown at SEMA in 2005. I know they have been dragging ass with S197 parts, but I'm guessing it was scrapped?

:nonono:

Users who are viewing this thread