2008-2009 Shelby GT500KR Axle Reservoir

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
After increasing the gear lube capacity in my FRPP 3.73 axle assembly by ~ 1/2 quart (by adding a modified Explorer/Mountaineer cover) I started looking for a solution to a potential issue - that being one of leakage via the vent that resides atop the passenger side axle tube. There have been more than a few GT500 owners that have reported leaking from that spot, and not always from "spirited" driving. Apparently, during KR development, the people at Shelby/Ford decided to add an external reservoir to allow for fluid expansion and drainback.

The latest link to the part is here. Seems links die randomly over at TS so this one may disappear in the future as well.

Anyway, I figured I'd give it a try as well. The part was shipped to me in a box that was labeled 4 lbs, which seemed about right. It was packaged properly but unfinished as far as I'm concerned.

Right out of the box and 'protected' with a liberal coating of shop dust...

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

I've bought a lot of aftermarket parts in my lifetime. This was the first time I've ever run across a hand fabricated part that was shipped this way. You don't have to agree with me but I see it as poor QC on the part of final inspection, if Shelby even has a QC department or employee. It made me wonder if the inside of the reservoir was dirty or had loose slag/mig splatter rolling around. I spent some time flushing it out just to be sure.

As to the construction...

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Even the ends of the included rubber hose looked bad, as if chewed off. If each cut you make becomes the end for two pieces, why not change to a fresh razor in your knife and make a square cut?

ry%3D480

Even the inside of the rubber hose was filled with dust/debris.

I've studied most every photo available on the web of this part and it would appear that one thing is for sure - Shelby is consistent. They all look this rough. But does it fit?

Sliding under the car and slipping it nearly into place only took a few seconds (my car was already elevated off of my shop floor).

ry%3D480

You have to loosen one of the UCA bracket bolts (18mm head) in order to be able to slip one of the bent reservoir tabs underneath the washer (but on top of the bracket). The other reservoir support tab attaches at an unused threaded hole. Shelby supplies a small 13mm headed bolt for this. The 18mm gets torqued to 85 ft lbs. The 13mm bolt gets torqued to 26 ft lbs.

ry%3D480

You then have to replace the factory 'rattle' vent cap with a threaded adapter and brass elbow combination. A 9/16" open ended wrench works perfectly.

ry%3D480

Orientated as shown (parallel to the axle centerline and pointing at the 'pumpkin') with the now-cleaned hose clamped into place on the brass barbed fitting. The other end of the hose was clamped to the drainback tube on the underside of the reservoir.

ry%3D480

So yes, it fit well. Not the most finished piece:nonono:, but cleaned up, I'm sure it'll function as intended. Being that it's stainless, it should stay in good shape as well. Nothing you couldn't whip up in the shop if you had the time or the inclination.

The tools I used...

ry%3D480

- torque wrench
- 1/2" ratchet, extensions, 18mm socket
- 3/8" ratchet, extensions, 13mm socket
- 9/16" wrench
- pliers (for squeezing the OE style clamps)

Tob

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member
yep thats about the way mine looked maybe just a little better but definatley unfinished in my opinion. I guess paint or powdercoat is a bad word!

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Van brought one of those by the shop one day to ship to an international customer. I personally would have expected more from Shelby than that. The thing looks like it was put together in a 8th graders shop class.

2 thumbs down for Shelby on that one.

Jared

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Typical Shelby POS.

There's another guy *somewhere* that made one of these out of aftermarket parts that was 100x's cleaner than the SPP part (POS).

I don't think I would have even installed it. Sheesh.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Maybe they were going for that retro look or perhaps they let Mr. Shelby fab those suckers up without his glasses. Glad mine is waiting at home for me....and I spent $100 on the dern thing.

cobrkilrl

Established Member
Guy's, I have never heard of this happening to our KR's. I just had my suspension work done for the wheel hop and my mechanic never mentioned to me that he saw any kind of oil leak coming from the top of the passenger side axle. Is this something I need to correct now or wait and see if it happens. My car does not see any track time but I do like to red line the gears every once in a while.

brisk_tea

Established Member
wow, i guess I was one of the lucky ones with my KR reservoir. I bought one of them when they were 1st advertised, so I guess I might have got an actual left-over, not just a quick fabbed one...

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Guy's, I have never heard of this happening to our KR's. I just had my suspension work done for the wheel hop and my mechanic never mentioned to me that he saw any kind of oil leak coming from the top of the passenger side axle. Is this something I need to correct now or wait and see if it happens. My car does not see any track time but I do like to red line the gears every once in a while.

:dw::lol1: It's a KR part - if you have KR, it's there. This is for normal GT500 guys.

Users who are viewing this thread