GT500 PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft Install

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
A few months back I installed a new Carbon Fiber driveshaft in my GT500. I've been testing it over the previous months to make sure it does not have any vibration problems. Due to its innovative design, I've found no issues even at 130+MPH in 5th gear. This driveshaft does not have any of the vibration issues common with most one piece driveshafts on S197s.

The first step is to get the heavy stock two-piece driveshaft and carrier out of the car:

gt500stockds.jpg

You'll be reusing the four front bolts, they are a 12pt 12mm head.

Be careful not to strip out the rear six bolts which will be reused as well, they are a 10mm head.

The stock DS weighs over 40lbs:

gt500stockshaftweight.jpg

The new carbon fiber PST shaft weighs under 15lbs:

gt500CFshaftweight.jpg

A nice reduction in rotating mass.

Up front the new CF driveshaft bolts up to the stock flange:

pstdsfront.jpg

In the rear the CF driveshaft bolts up to the stock style cup flange and does not require a different pinion flange like some driveshafts.

pstdsrear.jpg

You can now see where the PST driveshaft is different, they use a heavy duty CV joint to account for slight changes in length as the axle swings through its arc of motion, this is exactly what Ford uses on the OE driveshaft. This one is much thicker than OE though. Most aftermarket driveshafts use a slipyoke at the rear of the driveshaft, which is what ford got away from when they built the longer S197s, probably due to the same vibration issues that the aftermarket is experiencing with that style of shaft. IMO I've had many cars on the dyno with shafts that were not supposed to vibrate, but they still shook at high speeds, its an inherent design isssue with te slip yoke that no ammount of balancing can fix. You may be okay with a slip yoke at 80-120, but if you do any high speed driving or dynoing the vibration can show up at 120-180mph, I once had a car vibrate so bad it broke the speed sensor on the dyno drum.

cfdsunderneath.jpg

I'm now carrying these driveshafts on my website, due to the limited amount of length adjustment available in the CV joint, each car should be measured from the front flange to front edge of the rear cup with the suspension loaded. This can be done very easily with the car on the ground by one person with a tape measure that has a magnetic tip.

Carbon fiber also has some inherent benefits in that it reduces shock loading on hard launches & shifts.

VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft for GT500 & 05+ S197

Aluminum & Steel driveshafts are also available.

1930ford

Established Member
PST Makes a great product in my op, I have a CF shaft in my model A for a couple of years now and it works great. I run 325 MT Drag radials and have over 150 passes on it plus 2500 street miles. I 60ft in the 1.3x range. I need to lower my 2010 first so i can measure for the right shaft .

What price are the CF drive shafts for the GT500, and whats the wait time ?

Troy

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
looks very nice. great upgrade for those who havent already

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
PST Makes a great product in my op, I have a CF shaft in my model A for a couple of years now and it works great. I run 325 MT Drag radials and have over 150 passes on it plus 2500 street miles. I 60ft in the 1.3x range. I need to lower my 2010 first so i can measure for the right shaft .

What price are the CF drive shafts for the GT500, and whats the wait time ?

Troy

Retail is 1149 and it takes about 1-2wks. Email me if you are interested, I can help you out.

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The DS manufacturer says that they are good for 1000hp, most likely you will break your T6060 trans first. They also have a 3.5" aluminum shaft for $750 or steel for $595...I would say a one piece steel shaft is the hot ticket from a cost perspective, you're getting most of the benefit with only a penalty of a few pounds but a much lower cost. I've just added these items to my website and put free continental US shipping on them as a promotion.

VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: PST 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft for GT500 & 05+ S197

VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: PST 3.5" Steel Driveshaft for GT500 & 05+ S197

VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft for GT500 & 05+ S197

Brian Z.

Established Member
Justin how much does the steel ds weigh? Damaged my 1 piece steel ds at the track today but don't want to pay $1100 for a ds. Thanks.

chuckstang

Established Member
besides the fact that one is made of al and steel and carbon fiber, are all 3 exactly the same?

I really liked all those benefits you mentioned of the CF shaft but also would never spend $1100 for a DS

thx

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
besides the fact that one is made of al and steel and carbon fiber, are all 3 exactly the same?

I really liked all those benefits you mentioned of the CF shaft but also would never spend $1100 for a DS

thx

Same inherent design with the CV joint that prevents the vibes, but steel and alum are less expensive.

The price on these will be going up next week since the CV joints now cost more, any previous quotes or orders I can honor though.

nolyaw

Been there owned that
Established Member
Doesn't the 2011 Gt 500 have an aluminum shaft now?

chuckstang

Established Member
Same inherent design with the CV joint that prevents the vibes, but steel and alum are less expensive.

The price on these will be going up next week since the CV joints now cost more, any previous quotes or orders I can honor though.

Thanks for the quick reply.

One more question- With this unique design, does that mean that I could just bolt it on my lowered car with no issues with pinion angle? Anotherwords, I have a non adj UCA now with the stock DS and have no issues, curious if I would continue to have no issues with this one piece DS design...

thx

nolyaw

Been there owned that
Established Member
Says in the owners manual it is aluminum 2 piece.

Users who are viewing this thread