Pics/Video of MGW shifter for 2007 - 2011 GT500!!!

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
hey guys...

we are VERY close to releasing the shifter and the good news is i am 99 percent sure the shifter will fit the 2010-2011 also...i will be getting some new bushings in first of august to use for the new cars but other than that its a go.

the 2007-2009 models should be ready to ship in a week!! ill be contacting those in my list ...

and here are the pics...

note : rich and travis came down and installed the first production version on richs highly modified gt500 .he was running a kr short shifter so keep an eye out for his review and also some GREAT pics and install vids!!!

also... note...we cnc machine that billet top plate and the kit also includes ( not shown) dynamat pads and rubber sound moisture barriers , dust boot and dynamax sheets to assure a VERY professional install.

regards
george ciamillo

MGW GT500 Shifter Install

Part 1
[youtube_browser]__Js88Rhqf8[/youtube_browser]

Part 2
[youtube_browser]khDG6iEqK9o[/youtube_browser]

Part 3
[youtube_browser]MFjGpcmIva4[/youtube_browser]

Last edited by a moderator:

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
and introducing our exclusive edition cobra rally knob!!!

available in both 5 and 6 speed patterns black with silver pearl stripes!!!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Is there a set screw (beyond just relying on friction at the clamped junction) that can be tightened at the shifter base to eliminate the possibility of movement once you set the handle to where you want it?

Tob

On edit...

Also, why locate the two arms under the "fulcrum base" as opposed to bolting from the side? Reduced cross section didn't matter (as much as I see you put a radius there to minimize the possibility of cracking)? Do you test the shifters in a fixture to note any deflection?

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Do you test the shifters in a fixture to note any deflection?

This is one thing I wouldn't worry about. You'd probably bend the floorpan before George's shifter goes anywhere.

As far as the clamping on the handle...the one in my '04 simply relies on the clamping force; it won't move it you tighten it correctly. You can ape-shift it with no problem :rolling:

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I'm with mblgjr on the sturdiness and quality of MGW shifters. I had one in each of my 03 Cobras and while I'm not the strongest man in the world, I have been known to dabble in competitive feats of strength and I never felt so much as a budge from either of my shifters. Some of my best work includes shearing the threads off of a Steeda handle and cracking a Hurst handle at the bolt holes. :lol:
The only companies shifter aside from an MGW that I didn't break in one sort or another was a Pro 5.0 and while they are beefy, they shift nothing close to the feeling of an MGW.

Last edited:

alloy500

Established Member
F'n sweet! If I didn't love my SPP shifter, I would be all over this. Had an MGW in my 2000 GT and loved it, soild designs and great engineering.
Nice shifter ball, what size threads are used? I will get one of those if it can work with the SPP shifter, kinda sick of the white Shelby knob.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Yeah, I love the knob too. Can you guys make it in different colors? I'd like it in white with grabber stripes like my car.

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Yeah, I love the knob too. Can you guys make it in different colors? I'd like it in white with grabber stripes like my car.

im not sure if i will put the cobra logos on all the options as it is VERY costly to inventory but we do have the standard rally stripes with 5 and 6 speed gear patterns in many colors...here are some...

and to answer the questions this shifter is tested and tested and tested AND tested!!!

the reason i chose to bolt the arms from below is that it is MUCH easier to install and the design is FARRRRR stronger then it needs to be ...the front castings on the tranny will rip off long before this shifter will fail i promise!!

and the bolt on handle is designed with the same force as a mountain bike fork stem is ... it is a proven design that we have been using for over 10 years now.

george

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Excellent timing. Put me down for one shifter for my 2008 GT500 as well as one cobra rally knob in black with silver pearl stripes. Hit me via PM for payment details.

brisk_tea

Established Member
Nice shifter ball, what size threads are used? I will get one of those if it can work with the SPP shifter, kinda sick of the white Shelby knob.
if you want basic black 6-speed, jegs has them for $20 or so...

very nice shifter, and would look real sweet with that cobra shift knob...

i'm assuming a rubber grommet to keep the boot tight? this definately is making me rethink getting the SPP, and part of reason i'm holding off on a lot of mods...

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Excellent timing. Put me down for one shifter for my 2008 GT500 as well as one cobra rally knob in black with silver pearl stripes. Hit me via PM for payment details.

best thing is to contact my sales dept at 706-793-1770 ..ask for julie or peggy ...when i get involved in the sales side htings get messed up lol!!!

the knobs are threaded with m12 x 1.75 pitch.....

regards
george

MattR

Established Member
I'm new to this, I just got my 2011 GT500 a few weeks back. One thing I have noticed is the effort it takes to get the car in second gear when I'm getting on it hard. I cant think of another car that I have owned thats like that. I hope it breaks in a little more I only have 550 miles on it and today was the first time I have gotten on it hard.

How does a shifter like this differ from what my car has? the 11 already seems to have a shorter throw than anything I have ever owned. Will this shifter be more precise than the factory unit.

If my factory unit does not get any better in another 1,000 miles I may be in the market for somthing better.

Sorry for stupid questions. Just looking for a review of the difference for stock to a sweet unit like this.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread