Cracked my cooling system

94cobramike

Established Member
I bought my car from a guy in AZ... when i parked the car on OCT 1 i checked the intercooler resevoir and it had pink (what looked like antifreeze/same stuff as was in the rediator resevoir) liquid in it... it looked like antifreeze, smelled like antifreeze... but apparantly it was NOT antifreeze

went to start my car yesterday, ran ok for a few seconds then sputtered and smoked.. so i shut it off, thinking there might be water in my gas from it sitting for about a month without being run. put some heet water remover in the gas today, tried it again... wouldnt start at all... looked under the car and there was water/water wetter/oil dripping out of my exhaust clamps on the passenger side

so at this point i am assuming the Cooler inside the lower intake is at least cracked.... how do i know if the intercooler or pump or any other parts are no longer good?

SOB....

Thanks

94cobramike

Established Member
IMAG0208.jpg

IMAG0215.jpg

IMAG0213.jpg

IMAG0218.jpg

IMAG0217.jpg

94cobramike

Established Member
car was inside... non heated garage.. but i haven't been out to start it in over a month. temps a couple days got down into the single digits...

Van@RevanRacing

I bought my car from a guy in AZ... when i parked the car on OCT 1 i checked the intercooler resevoir and it had pink (what looked like antifreeze/same stuff as was in the rediator resevoir) liquid in it... it looked like antifreeze, smelled like antifreeze... but apparantly it was NOT antifreeze

went to start my car yesterday, ran ok for a few seconds then sputtered and smoked.. so i shut it off, thinking there might be water in my gas from it sitting for about a month without being run. put some heet water remover in the gas today, tried it again... wouldnt start at all... looked under the car and there was water/water wetter/oil dripping out of my exhaust clamps on the passenger side

so at this point i am assuming the Cooler inside the lower intake is at least cracked.... how do i know if the intercooler or pump or any other parts are no longer good?

SOB....

Thanks

Give Steve at Tousley Ford a call for the best price on an intercooler core.

Last edited:

R1Lello

Established Member
Don't all cars come with a mixture of coolant? I assume ours up here in Canada do, on the 4th year storing and no issues so far, I tried to start it once a month.

I think you're guy swapped out the factory coolant and added just water and water wetter.(pink)

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
That's what he was saying - the guy he bought his used GT500 from replaced the antifreeze with WatterWetter (because he didn't have to worry about it in AZ) and did not tell him.

All factory cars come with antifreeze.

94cobramike

Established Member
Pull your plugs and roll the engine over by hand to make sure you don't bend a rod.

Not sure how this would cause a bent rod? could you please explain?

Yes the guy i bought it from didnt mention that it was water and wetter, not antifreeze... When i looked in the resevoir, it looked and smelled like antifreeze... but it wasnt...

How do i know if my intercooler and pump are still ok?

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Pressure test the system. Hopefully the block is ok...did you check what is in the radiator? Make sure it is at the right strength of antifreeze to water?

Last edited:

94cobramike

Established Member
Give Steve at Tousley Ford a call for the best price on an intercooler core.

Do you at revan racing make an aftermarket peice that could be swapped in here? I mean do guys use the same undercharger core when they upgrade to a larger supercharger?

The core price from the dealer is $1233.00 :bash:

94cobramike

Established Member
how does your heat exchanger and pump look?

Heat exchanger seems ok... meaning i cannot see it physically leaking on the ground....

Where is the pump?? i dont know where it is to look at it :bored:

This is my first time into a 5.4... Now if it were a 5.0... that would be a diffrent story :-D

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
its easy to see it if you take the front bumper off, which is actually pretty easy.
It is mounted above the heat exchanger. I don't think you can jet to it by just pulling the front lip off.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Not sure how this would cause a bent rod? could you please explain?

Yes the guy i bought it from didnt mention that it was water and wetter, not antifreeze... When i looked in the resevoir, it looked and smelled like antifreeze... but it wasnt...

How do i know if my intercooler and pump are still ok?

By hand its nearly impossible to bend a rod if the motor locks up. The Starter motor makes enough to do it. Just pull the plugs and go slow.

PRP

Established Member
its easy to see it if you take the front bumper off, which is actually pretty easy.
It is mounted above the heat exchanger. I don't think you can jet to it by just pulling the front lip off.

On the 2010 you can see and get to the IC pump by removing the radiator cover.

As for how it can bend a rod: Water does not compress. If you have a cylinder full of water and use the starter to crank it with, the starter pinion has about 10 teeth and the flywheel has about 200 teeth....you have a BUNCH of leverage there and it WILL bend rods. I've experienced it on a jet boat that had water go up the exh. manifolds and get into the cylinders. Bent ALL 8 rods over time.

In a thread on Team Shelby I said one of the things I do for winter storage is check the anti-freeze content with a hydrometer. THIS is exactly why I do it. It can look good, smell good, feel good....but that don't mean it's good. You can get a AF hydrometer from about any parts store. It's a small plastic body with a squeeze bulb at the top and a hose at the bottom. Suck up a sample and it will tell you how much AF you have in the system and what level/temp it is good down to.

BTW, your IC core is repairable if that's the only crack in it (the outside case). Have a shop tig weld it and then see if it still leaks with low pressure compressed air (no more than about 16psi) and a tub of water. Just like checking a tire for a leak...look for bubbles.

The IC radiator is a no brainer, just like ya said. If you can't see any leaks, it's not leaking.

I hope this thread helps others realize WHY you have anti-freeze in the IC and not "water wetter"....

Phill

94cobramike

Established Member
As for how it can bend a rod: Water does not compress. If you have a cylinder full of water and use the starter to crank it with, the starter pinion has about 10 teeth and the flywheel has about 200 teeth....you have a BUNCH of leverage there and it WILL bend rods. I've experienced it on a jet boat that had water go up the exh. manifolds and get into the cylinders. Bent ALL 8 rods over time.

Phill

I actually started the car a couple times... or atleast tried to, with im assuming water in the cylinders.... (water coming out my exhaust clamps) this was before i had any idea there was something wrong...so i dont know if the damage is already done.... i dont know if they sucked enough water into the cylinder to do it.....

Users who are viewing this thread