Custom gauge pod project

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
So a while back a fellow forum member got a gauge pod made that was molded into his map light console. I really liked the location and the idea, he used 4 pods and I decided to go w/ two and keep the function of the lights.

It is still a work in process and is in the filler primer stage as we speak. I ordered some gauges through Van last night that should be here in about two weeks. I cant wait to get everything all wired up so I can monitor all my parameters.

The one thing I'm not sure about is the paint. Should I leave the pod smooth or go with a textured look? Second, what sheen of black to I go with? Satin, semi-gloss, or gloss. What do you guys think...

Here are some pictures throughout the build. I'm not fiberglass expert so take it easy on me

60921179.jpg

60514a41.jpg

bb8ac122.jpg

2518acc8.jpg

e715f43c.jpg

e8a75993.jpg

430b70c7.jpg

ab90d490.jpg

4642a8c6.jpg

b542126d.jpg

02489ff1.jpg

b6e03d72.jpg

c689e995.jpg

3b74e2bb.jpg

834b368a.jpg

9ef55458.jpg

7f3155b9.jpg

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Look at you McGuyver!
Looks awesome. Looking forward to end result.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
looking good Zak. I think you should make it into a periscope...

Periscope-Accessory.jpg

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
That was my thought, but I'm having a hard time finding a textured paint. Dupont sells a textured paint but it's $70 a pint. So I'm thinking more of a rattle can finish

then how about a textured roller. I've seen upholster shops use that
to blend panels, etc..

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
then how about a textured roller. I've seen upholster shops use that
to blend panels, etc..

i dont know, i think that would be hard to get uniform. with all the tight cracks and angles im afraid that i couldnt get it perfect enough. I found a few types of spray paint that claim to be textured. Im going to test them all and see what works/looks best.

tomorrow i am going to cut out the holes for my wires and scuff and clean inside the pod around the edges then run a thick bead of PL premium around the entire pod where the felt is touching the plastic. I want to make it as sturdy as possible so this thing doesnt crack and fall off. i might drill some small holes on the inside as well so the glue can seep through and really bond to the plastic of the console.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
i think im going to try the rustoleum textured paint. There is a hammered texture paint and a stone texture paint. The hammered just looks like the paint there are imperfections in the paint where it wouldnt stick in some places. The stone looks super stringy and gritty. I think the textured paint i might try is like sandy.

right now i am worried about making the structure super strong so the weight of the gauges and bouncing over time doesnt make the pod fall off of the map light console.

Now im thinking a two part epoxy with the holes drilled will work the best

blacknlte

Established Member
Its not really stringy, but can be messy if you get to close. Ive done a few things with it and just stood away from it and sprayed it and let it fall, but tested the height and distance on some cardboard so you can get the look your wanting. Great work to!

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
That looks pretty good so far. I can't wait to see the finished product. I've been pondering doing something similar in a 10+ down below the HVAC in front of the shifter.

How hard would it be to cover it in a black vinyl to match the dash?

Last edited:

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
That looks pretty good so far. I can't wait to see the finished product. I've been pondering doing something similar in a 10+ down below the HVAC in front of the shifter.

How hard would it be to cover it in a black vinyl to match the dash?

I have thought about the vinyl thing, but unless it is super thin and streachy I think it would be hard to wrap the entire peice cleanly. Plus making all the seam blend in and cutting around the textured area where the alarm sensors are. I think I'm going to stick to textured paint

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
I have thought about the vinyl thing, but unless it is super thin and streachy I think it would be hard to wrap the entire peice cleanly. Plus making all the seam blend in and cutting around the textured area where the alarm sensors are. I think I'm going to stick to textured paint

Going to paint it today?

Users who are viewing this thread