How to break in new GT500 motor?

CobraSoze

SPTZ VNM
Established Member
Hi All,

I pick my car up in the morning (new 2011 GT500), and was curious if there's a best practice for breaking these motors in.

Also, when is a good time to get that first oil change?

Appreciate the help...

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
Hi All,

I pick my car up in the morning (new 2011 GT500), and was curious if there's a best practice for breaking these motors in.

Also, when is a good time to get that first oil change?

Appreciate the help...

no need to, drive it like you normally would-hammer down..I changed my oil after 500 miles

sikryd

Established Member
When I break in a new motor, I take it easy for the first 500 - 800 miles. I vary the RPM's to help seat the rings, and definitely do not hammer it at all. If you can afford to replace internals, by all means do as you wish. I would follow what the owners manual says, that way the Ford Nazi's can't blame anything on you.
When I picked up my 2011 GT500, I could still smell the new gaskets burning in. That tells me that the break in time on Ford's dyno was minimal if anything at all. I've built a lot of motors, and I always follow the 500 - 800 mile rule and have never had a problem.

CobraSoze

SPTZ VNM
Established Member
When I break in a new motor, I take it easy for the first 500 - 800 miles. I vary the RPM's to help seat the rings, and definitely do not hammer it at all. If you can afford to replace internals, by all means do as you wish. I would follow what the owners manual says, that way the Ford Nazi's can't blame anything on you.
When I picked up my 2011 GT500, I could still smell the new gaskets burning in. That tells me that the break in time on Ford's dyno was minimal if anything at all. I've built a lot of motors, and I always follow the 500 - 800 mile rule and have never had a problem.

Cool, thanks! That was my plan, but it's nice to have it validated.

bull3441

Established Member
don't be a pussy. drive it like you stole. break it in hard, it runs hard.

91Man

Established Member
The rings were broke in immediatly in first few minutes of being run. No need to baby it as said above. Nothing else to do other then drive it like you stole it. Drive it hard within reason and it will be a stong runner for sure for many yrs. Good luck with your purchase!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Rings seat quicker with high cylinder pressure pushing them into the walls.
Eventually the abrasive quality of the crosshatch wears off, even though it is still there holding oil. So a small window of opportunity exists.
Because of this, it is my understanding that multiple pulls with high levels of WOT in the first 50 miles will give you a verifiable better leak down test and be a better break in than the easy break in method.
However a sustained high speed blast without periodic lifts to clean and re-oil the walls from part throttle high vacuum, can get the rings too hot.

So hit it but don't roast it.

Varying the rpms used to help break in non-roller cams, but now the part throttle high vacuum still can be helpful to clean and cool hard pressed rings in the "hard WOT in the first 50 miles beat down break in" that I prefer and used many times.

Worked great for me.:beer:

bull3441

Established Member
guys keep using 60 year old theories for motor break in. why do you think Ford limits boost for the first 8 or so consecutive miles. the rings are seated that quickly, then the fun starts.

CobraSoze

SPTZ VNM
Established Member
The rings were broke in immediatly in first few minutes of being run. No need to baby it as said above. Nothing else to do other then drive it like you stole it. Drive it hard within reason and it will be a stong runner for sure for many yrs. Good luck with your purchase!

I like this logic :burnout:

Rings seat quicker with high cylinder pressure pushing them into the walls.
Eventually the abrasive quality of the crosshatch wears off, even though it is still there holding oil. So a small window of opportunity exists.
Because of this, it is my understanding that multiple pulls with high levels of WOT in the first 50 miles will give you a verifiable better leak down test and be a better break in than the easy break in method.
However a sustained high speed blast without periodic lifts to clean and re-oil the walls from part throttle high vacuum, can get the rings too hot.

So hit it but don't roast it.

Varying the rpms used to help break in non-roller cams, but now the part throttle high vacuum still can be helpful to clean and cool hard pressed rings in the "hard WOT in the first 50 miles beat down break in" that I prefer and used many times.

Worked great for me.:beer:

Makes sense - thanks! :beer:
Tomorrow just got better!

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Drive it hard, these new motors dont require break in. This isnt the 80's or the 90's.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Yeah............drive it like you stole it, smart car thieves drive carefully and obey all posted signs in a stolen car, that is unless they want to get pulled over by the lawman for driving stupid, and then get caught.

I guess the real meaning of "drive it like you stole it" is "drive it like you don't care what happens", that "can be" stupid.

What does the Ford owners manual say? The GT500 Supplement? Maybe nothing...........:shrug:

R

Last edited:

CobraSoze

SPTZ VNM
Established Member
Wide open throttle........

Thanks I took your advice and what a ride baby! :rockon: This is by far the smoothest and nicest toy I've ever been in...maybe not as fast as my 03's, but way more fun to drive. The interior was perfectly conceived in every way.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

Nicolaskl

BANNED
Established Member
I'd do whatever the owners manual tells you and not listen to random people on the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread