Cats plugged solid

Blackmax

Established Member
Got the exhaust apart and sure enough both my cats are plugged solid. Now I wonder if I have any engine damage. :shrug:

DMotorsports

Established Member
Delete the cats. IMO nothing but trouble, an extra restriction, and additional weight. Let that baby breathe. Of course I have the luxury of no emissions testing in my area.

DMotorsports

Established Member
As long as she was running well before (ie no knocks or funny noises with decent power) I'd say you're ok. Were you any having symptoms before you removed the cats? If not, delete the cats and make a pull or two to see if she still runs well. If so, I'd say you're still fine.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Were you tuned by Tasca?

Blackmax

Established Member
This is why you guys are so important on these forums, I deduced it was the cats from reading here, my tuner should have known better as I described the symptoms to him over 2 months ago when I first starting losing power. I even told him the left cat was noisy and when we put it on the dyno it was 140 h.p. down. :bs:

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
See this what happens when you don't have an experienced tuner. Most don't have the knowledge of tuning a car properly. Your not making enough HP to mess up the cats. Let's take the Bugatti Veyron. It isn't clogging cats and makes tons of HP. I mean I'm just saying here.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Yes it has had a Tasca tune in it except for the track, I run my tuners tune.

Interesting. Were most of your miles with the track tune or Tasca? My impression was the cats weren't supposed to cook with a Tasca tune.

bull3441

Established Member
motor will be fine. i've been through 3 sets of cats. i set was within 75 miles. just go catless and find a good muffler

Blackmax

Established Member
Kind of freaks you out to find this, how the hell did the motor still run? And at the track at redline!

Both look like this...
003-48.jpg

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
That's disconcerting...good thing you checked. I'll have my car re-tuned with the stock cats due to some pending mods and with the SS JBA O/R pipe with the Shelby 3" exhaust in Sept.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread