Am I asking for trouble with 15% tint?

DaFreak

Established Member
Hey all,

Finally decided to book an appointment to have my windows tinted. I'm asking for 15% all the way around (except windshield) but now wondering if that's too much? For all of you out there that have been running 15% or lower, have you been ticketed or hassled by police? Should I back er down a bit?

Thanks for the comments.

Zacharyx

Established Member
on a white car I say you may get some attention, tint looks darker against a lighter colored car

JeremyAlan

Naked SVT Poster
Established Member
I had a guy at a tint shop check mine and its 5%. I have a bright yellow car that attracts alot of attention and the local cops haven't harassed me at all, to my surprise.

I'll follow that statement with this: when i bought the car i was driving it home from Orlando down the panhandle of florida and i was pulled over twice in 20 miles on I-10 by two different municipalities. I showed the second cop the warning the first cop wrote me and he bid me a good day. So it is hit or miss, depends on your local cops i would guess.

Try rolling your windows down if you get stopped, or Another alternative is play dumb and say you didn't know lol
EDIT** as you can see in my sig VVVV you cant see anyone in the car! :)

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I had a guy at a tint shop check mine and its 5%. I have a bright yellow car that attracts alot of attention and the local cops haven't harassed me at all, to my surprise.

Cops in Northwest Florida do not care about window tint. I have 5% all around and 35% on the entire windshield. Not one cop has said anything to me.

This wasn't the case in Louisiana. I was stopped 5 or 6 times for illegal tint....but thankful, I had a free pass to have it as illegal as I wanted too. haha!

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
What are the tint laws in your area and how harshley do they patrol then?

My car is 5% with 45% on the windshield
Abd my truck is 5% with 30% on the windshield

Never have been stopped in the car, and have been pulled over one time in two years for tint in my truck

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
35% is law here. Almost not worth having it.
Cant have it at all in NH!

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
you cant have ANY tint on the front windows here. the rear windows? you can spray paint those black if you like lol.

i just got mine tinted. i prefer the cleaner, stock look. went with 73%(?) all around and a hair lighter on the windshield. i almost wish i went lighter. i really just wanted it to keep the heat/uv out. i dont care for the dark look of tint.

also, having really dark tint can be more difficult to drive at night. backing up, and driving if you have your windshield done really dark.

Last edited:

DaFreak

Established Member
What are the tint laws in your area and how harshley do they patrol then?

35% is law here. Never heard of anyone I know of being pulled over for less than that. I'm also not running a front license plate (a violation) and I haven't been pulled over for that (yet) either. So maybe I've been lucky or they don't care too much about it. I'm now thinking I may back it down to 35% just to avoid issues but damn I would love to go darker.

Beast,

How do I get one of those doctor's note you mentioned?

2Sharpie

Established Member
50% is the law here in the front windows.....35% elsewhere. I have 15% on my SUV, and it sucks backing up at night! But I ended up doing 35% all around...I was very surprised just how dark it appears on the Sterling Grey. I'll have to post a pic real quick..and Zacharyx has it right - it will look a lot darker on your white car. As long as you're not acting like a jackass, I would "hope" the less likely you are to get pulled for just the tint. My opinion - I have never pulled anyone over for it, and only given a ticket when there was a bunch more going on (less than a handful of times) including the attitude.

Just do it! The car is so much more cooler in the sun too.

DaFreak

Established Member
50% is the law here in the front windows.....35% elsewhere. I have 15% on my SUV, and it sucks backing up at night! But I ended up doing 35% all around...I was very surprised just how dark it appears on the Sterling Grey. I'll have to post a pic real quick..and Zacharyx has it right - it will look a lot darker on your white car. As long as you're not acting like a jackass, I would "hope" the less likely you are to get pulled for just the tint. My opinion - I have never pulled anyone over for it, and only given a ticket when there was a bunch more going on (less than a handful of times) including the attitude.

Just do it! The car is so much more cooler in the sun too.

Thanks Sharpie. Yah, post up a pic when you have a sec as I'd love to see the 35% on your car.

Cheers,

Islandcat

Established Member
I had an 06 gt that I tinted 15% right away. Got my first tint ticket on the day I went look at the 09shelby that I traded in for. Got my shelby tinted 15% right away and went a 1 1/2 years before I got ticketed again for tint. 3 weeks later my girlfriend had to use my car to run an errand and she got pulled over and taken to jail because my ticket was still showing up asnot being taken care of lol. And yes this was in southeast louisiana.

2Sharpie

Established Member
Not the darkest.....but definitely stays cold in the heat and keeps you out of trouble .....

dsc0156hv.jpg

Last edited:

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
yeah the lighter the car the more it sticks out with dark tint. I have a white acura TL with 35% and it looks illegal. Stopped 3 times so far this year just for them to put their little meter to it and see I'm legal. Cobra has the same tint and nobody looks twice at it. Even have tint on the headlights lol

chris1badL

Established Member
They are serious about illegal tint here in NC. I dont know one person that hasnt got a fix it ticket for anything under 35%. I have legal tint and say you can barely tell they are tinted.

DaFreak

Established Member
Not the darkest.....but definitely stays cold in the heat and keeps you out of trouble .....

Sweet, thanks Sharpie.

All,

If I do get a ticket for too dark of tint will it increase my insurance rate?

Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread