Polishing coil covers

Tango7

Established Member
I bought some powered by svt coil covers.. I want to sand the ribs and polish them and paint the valleys. What sand paper should I start out with.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
I did a set for someone and they came out great. Difference was the person had them powdercoated first. Based on how the process worked I would recommend painting them first. It is much easier to sand across the ridges and letters with everything else painted then trying to mask off every thing, or go back and remove the paint from the already polished ribs and letters.

I used a dremel with a 240 grit to remove the powdercoat and went a step finer all the way to 2000. Then polished with jewelers rouge and mothers billet.

Below are pics of how they came out.

Cover2.jpg

Cover1.jpg

Tango7

Established Member
That looks great.. As a side note do all the coves have that notch below the "BY".. I thought something was wrong with the ones I purchased.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
That looks great.. As a side note do all the coves have that notch below the "BY".. I thought something was wrong with the ones I purchased.

As far as I know the notch is how they came. I should also add that the owner powder coated them clear after I polished them so he did not have to maintain the finish.

Thanks All! They are floating around here on someones car, forget who the current owner is but it is a Silver Hellion Coupe. I polished the Canton tank on it as well.

cobrasvtcoupe25

Established Member
I bought a set already polished for cheap. Super lucky. I need to re-polish them again though. What's the "jewelers rouge"? I know about mother's already and love that stuff.

Detail023.jpg

chaoticdismay

dr. hobo
Established Member
As far as I know the notch is how they came. I should also add that the owner powder coated them clear after I polished them so he did not have to maintain the finish.

Thanks All! They are floating around here on someones car, forget who the current owner is but it is a Silver Hellion Coupe. I polished the Canton tank on it as well.
I want to take the paint off of my "Powered by Ford" covers, brush them and then get them powdercoated in satin clear so I don't have to worry about oxidation :drool:.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
I bought a set already polished for cheap. Super lucky. I need to re-polish them again though. What's the "jewelers rouge"? I know about mother's already and love that stuff.

Detail023.jpg

Its a metal polishing compound that is used in high speed polishing with a buffing wheel, or in this case a small buffing wheel for my dremel. Just google it if you want to learn more.

Users who are viewing this thread