What is the best way to get my engine looking super clean???

1strike

Established Member
I went to my local Autozone store....there was a couple of things they had that I could use to clean the engine with....but it was more like spray on and wipe it clean my self.....don't have the patience to clean square inch on that engine....

Second....I have heard from a couple of people here and there....that pressure washing your engine can cause damage....such as messing up the injectors and so forth......

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to get my cobra's engine looking like brand new????

Blueline

Established Member
Well nothing in life comes easy bud, your going to have to just get in there and take your time wiping it. You can power wash it, but I would not recommend that due to the coils, sensors etc. etc. I wipe mine down with a damp cloth to get anything big. Then I take my tire shine and spray it on all rubber hoses, intake, plastics etc. Then I take my time wiping EVERYTHING down. Usually comes out like a brand new motor. This has been my method for the past 15yrs. Once you get it clean the first time its pretty easy to maintain the look. This way no electrical issues or something else. GL either way!

Last edited:

va boy

Established Member
I've had good luck with diluted Simple Green on a rag.
Like Blueline said, the first time is most time consuming, after that, it's just preventative mant.

twisted03snake

Established Member
i use diluted purple power for the first initial cleaning and then just maintain it as stated above!
> i soak the engine in diluted purple power and use a soft bristle brush to scrub the engine
> i lightly spray the engine of with water
> i use an air nozzle on my air compressor and blow all the water off the engine and in all crevaces
> i take amor-all and spray on the desired areas of the engine
> i use the air nozzle again to spread it around evenly
> and finally i take a rag and wipe off the excess!
fyi: i would do this method before washing the car! it makes a mess of the fenders and front bumper

Last edited:

truculentSVT

Established Member
Like others have said. Purple power or Simple green dilluted, then just maintain with some protectant..

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
I use simple green and 2 brushes-1 small hard bristle and 1 large soft bristle. Then I rinse with water... Many ppl use this method and I don't know anyone with problems. Just use common sense and don't flood it. It looks great afterwards and it's fast! My favorite method of all the ones i have used by far.
If you were to take your car to get the engine detailed they would do this.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
make sure you dont use flammable tire dressing! knew a kid at a dealer that put flammable tire dressing on an rx-8 engine and it came back a week later completely burnt up from that!!! it looked good for a short time i guess lol :kaboom:

family-man

Established Member
Try this to get the engine looking super clean...

go to your local ford dealer, and order a brand new complete longblock. Personally i havent done this, but i heard it works best

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I went to my local Autozone store....there was a couple of things they had that I could use to clean the engine with....but it was more like spray on and wipe it clean my self.....don't have the patience to clean square inch on that engine....

Second....I have heard from a couple of people here and there....that pressure washing your engine can cause damage....such as messing up the injectors and so forth......

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to get my cobra's engine looking like brand new????

I spray mine down with the high pressure at the car wash.. BUT I've had to replace a coil pack on the passengers side (rear) that's the only damage I've done.. and it looks decent for a 101K mile car.

zPipes

Established Member
I worked at a car wash when I was younger, we used a pressure washer, but keeping the nozzle far enough away that it wasn't 'pressure washing' so much as 'high water pressure' ing the engine, if you know what I mean.

zPipes

Established Member
Well nothing in life comes easy bud, your going to have to just get in there and take your time wiping it. You can power wash it, but I would not recommend that due to the coils, sensors etc. etc. I wipe mine down with a damp cloth to get anything big. Then I take my tire shine and spray it on all rubber hoses, intake, plastics etc. Then I take my time wiping EVERYTHING down. Usually comes out like a brand new motor. This has been my method for the past 15yrs. Once you get it clean the first time its pretty easy to maintain the look. This way no electrical issues or something else. GL either way!

Hey man, about how long does this take you?

Users who are viewing this thread