cleaning black engine bay plastics

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I need to know how to clean my engine bay plastics. Degreaser and water seems to leave a white film that looks very nasty. Armour all seems to attract dirt.

What works.

This this is the only way, then so be it. Looking for alternatives that are quicker.

Ratchet

Established Member
I use a light coat of tire shine... it will dry and harden and you can get it to look how you want. Whether that be really shiny or just clean looking black. The one I use is Black Ice I think. But any gel style one should work. Just have to give it time to cure/dry.:beer:

331Stroker

Stroked
Established Member
You should be able to get engine detailer from your local parts store. Adams Polishes has some called VRT and you can put it on anything in your engine bay, you can also use it for exterior plastics.

I picked up a product called CD2 from my parts store and it works great.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Do the said products work if there is already that white film? Because i can scrub and it doesnt seem to take it off. Unless im just not trying hard enough.

I want to totally avoid spraying the bay down with a hose again. water seeping into my plug wires scares me.

Last edited:

V8Demon

Established Member
You should be able to get engine detailer from your local parts store. Adams Polishes has some called VRT and you can put it on anything in your engine bay, you can also use it for exterior plastics.

I picked up a product called CD2 from my parts store and it works great.

The VRT is good stuff. Apply it with a rag for a dull shine and to keep any excess off so it attracts as little dust/pollen as possible.

331Stroker

Stroked
Established Member
Do the said products work if there is already that white film? Because i can scrub and it doesnt seem to take it off. Unless im just not trying hard enough.

I want to totally avoid spraying the bay down with a hose again. water seeping into my plug wires scares me.

Im not sure. I havent ever had any kind of white film.

I always mix "Oomph" with some Dial soap and water and spray the engine down really well, then let it dry and use the CD2.

"Oomph" is a degreaser that is not as potent as others degreasers.

mnewxcv

Established Member
cd2 got my engine bay a lot of compliments. degrease, then cd2 is the way to go. i used deluded simple green, but any with a little elbow grease should do the trick.

Fawkes

Established Member
I'm rather fond of Mother's Back to Black. I use it on all of my plastic parts.

Satyr

Established Member
You can use the F1 detailing spray, as well. I can't remember who makes it...but I have used it in the past with great success on the black plastic parts both inside and outside of the car.

Users who are viewing this thread