Votes: 168 96.0%
  • Buy the new 05 Mustang GT in Black with Red gut

Votes: 7 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
Ok Terminator Buddies..05 Black Stang GT or keep my Zinc 03 Cobra(Edit:Keeping 03!)

I have about 1,490 miles on my current 03 pictured below....I cant keep two toys right now...I am going nuts over the new 05 GT Mustang in black and putting silver stripes like the one pictured below owned by a fellow SVTPerformance member.....its killing me....I know our cars are just bad ass....and I love driving my 03. But the looks of the new Stang in black with the red interior...just has me sooo hooked...you all know me....I sell whatever I have to get the next car...only to look back and say...man..why did I do that.

So in short..help me decide....
713601_17_full.jpg

Last edited:

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
Keep the Cobra! We don't even know what's gonna go wrong with the new Mustang yet! I'd give it a while then switch or even wait for the 07 Cobra.

BoneCrusher

Established Member
I think if you're more concerned with appearance then go for it. Usually when I buy a new car that is the same model as the one I already own I am looking for an upgrade on the performance end first and foremost, so on that end your obviously taking a pretty big step backward. I am keeping my '03 till the new cobra comes out at minimum. If you're going to be driving around cringing every time you see an '05 then sell the Cobra, but if you're anything like me I think you'll end up regretting it.

RedfireBeast

MACA Member #29
Established Member
First of all you need to drive your cobra more.......these cars should be driven not 20,000 miles ayear but only 800.......The new 05 is ugly and boring....cobra all the way.........maybe if you put some miles on your car you would be able to pick between the two.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
SVTADVISOR said:
Keep the Cobra! We don't even know what's gonna go wrong with the new Mustang yet! I'd give it a while then switch or even wait for the 07 Cobra.
Couldn't have said it better myself..

fr03cobra

Established Member
Get the 05 and then take the motor out of the 03 and switch them.lol

In short keep the 03 and wait for the 07.

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
Do not -- repeat DO NOT sell the 03. The new GT is kind of a pig... and it feels so weak.

Besides, now that the Cobra is an 07, there is a longer wait for something with power.

Jpjr

Established Member
You would never know he asked this on a Cobra forum :-D

Seriously, I could go on and on about how ugly the new Mustang is, how embarrased I'd be pulling that granny-stang up next to an M3, etc. etc.

But that is all opinion. Here are the facts:

390hp vs 300hp
4v Forged Internals vs 3v Cheap Internals
6sp vs 5sp tranny
0-60 time from TQ and not Gears
Extremely Cheap HP vs a new N/A motor
Huge value Cobra vs Over-MSRP GT

To be fair:

Chassis: 05 no comparison
Build Quality: 05 no comparison
Re-Sale: 05 no comparison (newer car)

Were all going to be biased but I think these are pretty factual. Your going to be in the newest ride with the 05.. but you'll never see me from your rear view mirror :) All depends on what you like.

launchnukes

Crazy SVT Person
Established Member
Jpjr said:
You would never know he asked this on a Cobra forum :-D

Seriously, I could go on and on about how ugly the new Mustang is, how embarrased I'd be pulling that granny-stang up next to an M3, etc. etc.

But that is all opinion. Here are the facts:

390hp vs 300hp
4v Forged Internals vs 3v Cheap Internals
6sp vs 5sp tranny
0-60 time from TQ and not Gears
Extremely Cheap HP vs a new N/A motor
Huge value Cobra vs Over-MSRP GT

To be fair:

Chassis: 05 no comparison
Build Quality: 05 no comparison
Re-Sale: 05 no comparison (newer car)

Were all going to be biased but I think these are pretty factual. Your going to be in the newest ride with the 05.. but you'll never see me from your rear view mirror :) All depends on what you like.

that sums it up perfectly

cobraGABE

Will work for Mods
Established Member
I say keep the cobra, I keep getting a lot of guys from work asking me if I am going to trade for the new mustang, and I tell them I am not going to take a car with -150 hp. But after all it is your decision, and go drive your Cobra a little more.

mstngmatt

Established Member
Horsepower Rules!! :thumbsup:

A new 05 is like going backwards unless you have 15 to stick into a new motor, tranny, and of course a blower! Good luck on your decision.

RickSvt

Its Fast
Established Member
Hey hotrod, isnt this your 2nd cobra, didnt you miss your first one??? I would keep it cause you know and I know that you will want one again then take a beating in the trades on them.....wait 2 years, maybe there will be a new cobra if not then I am sure you would be able to decide again.

Rick

1FastFord

Established Member
Personally, I don't like the new car so the answer is easy for me. As for you, didn't you have an 03 sell it and then you bought the one you have now. I think you will regret it again.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
IMO going from a 03/04 Cobra to a new GT would be like going from a GT down to a V6. There is that much difference in power. Stay with the Cobra.

Jpjr

Established Member
I love reading this stuff. Everytime I try and post something positive about keeping an 04 on stangnet's 05 forum I get flamed bad.

Power there is no comparison and I just hate the damn styling. I will only buy an '07 Cobra if there are significant styling enhancements, which I doubt. Maybe its my age but I could not be more against anything 'retro'. To me, all it means is that the designers are out of good ideas. Just imagine if the 1960's Mustangs were Model-T retro's lol...

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
Wait 6 months when the "oooooooh ahhhhhhhh" factor of the new body style goes away.....then decide.

The new style is sooooooooo bland....there is not even a hood scoop on it. The only way you can tell if its a GT is the dual exhaust!

If you really like the new style....wait until the new Cobra comes out! (if it does:() Life is too short to down grade! If you keep the milage under 10,000 on the terminator, you'll get top dollar for it in 2 years!

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
You guys are the best! :thumbsup:

With all the intial posts and all...

I called up my dealer and got their 05 GT STang 5speed and took her out for about a 45 minute or more drive.

I still love the looks..outside and in...

Here is my honest review..
Beside the looks and all..you know I like that...
The New 05 feels very large and heavy to me....(more bulk/less power)

you know..Feels like you are driving in a car..instead of the 03 Cobra feeling of..you are part of the car.

The shifter is positioned perfect in the 05 Stang. Almost put my fist through the dash on the 05 ..reaching like I do for the shifter in the 03.

Lots of room up front for us in 05...but man..put the seat back in the 05 with your comfortable position like in the 03 Cobra(not all the way)...and the back passengers better have no legs at all....no room for legs compared to the same position in the 03 Cobra(of course when I say 03 ..its 04 too)

As for power...we Cobra guys sure are spoiled(of course my 03 is pullied)
The new 05 GT is fun..and abit spunky..but man..its no Mach 1(yes I owned one of those) and not even close to the Cobra we have. Thats in straight line performance.

Handling...the 05 handles nice...better than the Mach 1...but no where near our Cobra. But like I said...it just feels big and bulky compared to our car and the Mach 1. The Mach 1 felt like you could throw it anywhere you wanted. Has to be the wider stance of the 05 and the longer wheelbase..and low position driving...kinda like driving an F body GM car.

As for ride quality...maybe the new 05 GT Stang is better in that area compared to last years GT or Mach 1....but its not even close to that of our Cobra's either....over bumps and all...you just cant beat the IRS..especially around a corner with bumps.

So for styling..to me...the new Stang is hot..inside and out and very comfortable to drive(for two)

I came home..got in my Cobra...drove her around for 30 or so minutes.....

Needless to say...No Freakin Way am I getting a new 05 Stang GT !
What was I thinking..temporary insanity! :bash:

Thankyou guys....you made me go out and drive the new one more and then get in my 03 Terminator.

I Love My 03 Cobra!! :thumbsup:

Also wanted to make clear..I do like the 05 Stang Alot!
It drives and looks awesome... but from a performance standpoint in all catagories...not even close to an SVT Product. I will wait...should be interesting to see what SVT or Shelby and the Ford crew do with the next Cobra Mustang type car.

Last edited:

Romans8:28

Established Member
OK snap out of it man! get a grip for petes sake (LOL).......

Seriously, I agree with all the points raised so far and allow me to add:

In one or two years the new style mustang will be EVERYWHERE I repeat EVERYWHERE........... say again EVERYWHERE you will have next to zero status.

Why go from the baddest production Mustang ever created to a slow cookie cutter? makes no sense to me.

Total terminators produced about 20,000 right? they will make that many new style every month for ever and ever

BoneCrusher

Established Member
Glad to hear your decision, at least now you know why you want to keep your cobra. We really do have a special car with these 03/04 cobras.

Users who are viewing this thread