Established Member
Tools:
Rachet w/extensions
Sockets - 8mm, 10mm, 13mm
Scraper
MGW-supplied Allen wrench

Click on images for a larger version:

Unscrew shifter ball

Grasp shifter bezel by each side and pull off. It will take some effort, but will pop out.

Pull the leather boot off the shifter, and pull the bezel away. It won't go far, as the lighter wiring has to be disconnected. Disconnect the lighter wiring by squeezing the tab and pulling it back. Remove the bezel.

Now you can see the top portion of the shifter. Remove the two 10mm bolts and take the shifter handle off the shifter base.

Shifter base and rubber shifter boot.

Remove the four 8mm bolts from the rubber shifter boot.

Work the boot out of the dash area and remove. Now you have access to the shifter base.

Remove the four 13mm (1/2") bolts holding in the shifter base.

Remove the shifter base. Sometimes this can be difficult, as the shifter can sometimes stick to the tranny. Be persistant.

The shifter ball will sit in a small plastic retainer. Make sure that piece is still there - it will sometimes stick to the shifter ball and come out when you remove the shifter.

Clean any gasket material off the shifter mount on the tranny and make sure it is dry. Apply a very thin coat of Permatex, or place the supplied gasket on the shifter mount area.

Put the new MGW shifter base on the tranny.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Ensure the positive shifter stops are screwed back away from the shifter knob itself.

Using the provided 13mm (1/2") bolts, secure the shifter base to the tranny. It is important to use the longer, provided bolts, as they are necessary given the extra thickness of the MGW base.

NOTE: The shifter stops can now be setup if desired (use instructions provided by MGW). However, the T56 has internal stops, so they are not necessary.

Slip the rubber shifter boot over the new shifter.

Work the rubber shifter boot into the dash. It is easiest to put the driver's side of the boot down inside the plastic first, then the other side.

Reinstall the four 8mm bolts to hold the rubber shifter boot in place.

Slip the shifter handle (blue or red) onto the shifter base.

Position the shifter handle to your liking.

Using the provided tool, start tightening the shifter handle, keeping the handle at the angle you prefer. Tighten both bolts. When done, make sure it does not move on the shifter base.

Start putting the shifter bezel back on by slipping the leather over the handle.

Reconnect the lighter wiring.

Put the bezel in place, and firmly push it into the dash. You should hear it "click" on both sides.

Make sure the leather cover is down on the shifter far enough to see the threads for the shifter ball.

Screw the shifter ball back on.

You're done - go for a test drive!

Last edited:

whtsnake03

Established Member
I couldn't find the plastic retainer cup. Did I lose it? I thought the Cobra tranny didn't have one. :shrug:

Great write up! :read:

Bob Cosby

Established Member
whtsnake03 said:
I couldn't find the plastic retainer cup. Did I lose it? I thought the Cobra tranny didn't have one. :shrug:

Great write up! :read:
It does have one - I just took a pic of it yesterday. :) However, it can be in there and easily missed. Does your shifter feel "sloppy" or have a some play in it? If so, you might be missing it. If not, it's probably in there.

icu812 said:
who carries the MGW shifter?
You can buy them directly from MGW.

Users who are viewing this thread