Got Scratches?

BLK_03

Established Member
Since it was so nice out today, I busted out the porter cable and got rid of some of the spider webb scratches/swirls I created from drying the car throughout the winter...

Before:

picture0024is1vd.jpg

After:

picture0044is2ii.jpg

I used a porter cable... Poorboys SSR 2.5, Clearkote Vanille Moose Hand Glaze, and Clearkote Carnuba Moose Wax...

Check out Scott's site at: Specialty Motoring Products for more...

Last edited:

Blackhalo

Established Member
Nice.. going to be doing the same thing.. i have swirls everywhere i look with the sun hitting it. Looks just like that. Got the pc just need to order the rest of my stuff from scott.

BLK_03

Established Member
gt03mustang said:
Looks good man, whats the difference between the SSR 2 and SSR 2.5?

From what I understand 2.5 is a little more aggressive than 2. It was explained to me like this, 2.5 will remove like 90-95 % of scratches while 2 will remove like 60-70%.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
That looks great man! Hope you dont mind if I copy you. So the 2.5 takes out most the scratches and then the glaze fills in whatever is left.... am I correct on that? One way the other, my car needs alot of tlc this year!

Talus

LookingThroughAWideAngle
Established Member
i use Groits with my porter cable. looks good man, it must be tough keeping the up the black.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Awesome work man. I'm going to order the same products you used along with a bunch of microfiber towels and some buffing pads for my PC as soon as the weather warms up and it stops raining. I can't wait to see my car swirl mark free. It's had the damn things since day 1. :(

BLK_03

Established Member
sambandit said:
That looks great man! Hope you dont mind if I copy you. So the 2.5 takes out most the scratches and then the glaze fills in whatever is left.... am I correct on that? One way the other, my car needs alot of tlc this year!

Copying? Hell no I don't mind... as long as I get to paint some blue flames and paint the blower black... :banana:

I'm not the expert, but from what I understand, the 2.5 removes almost all fine scratches/swirls, and the glaze is a polish more of a "filler". Kinda like going from 600 grit to 1200 grit sandpaper. I think of it as the last step before placing the protectant (wax).

blowngt

Established Member
BLK_03 said:
Copying? Hell no I don't mind... as long as I get to paint some blue flames and paint the blower black... :banana:

I'm not the expert, but from what I understand, the 2.5 removes almost all fine scratches/swirls, and the glaze is a polish more of a "filler". Kinda like going from 600 grit to 1200 grit sandpaper. I think of it as the last step before placing the protectant (wax).

What kind/type of pads do you use for each product??? Are you applying the glaze by hand or machine??? I just got both products and and looking to do the same thing you just did, get rid of the fine scratches from periodic washing.......

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
BLK_03 said:

LOL, cool, thanks for the tips. I wonder what the result would be then if you just used the glaze and not the 2.5? Anybody tried that? I am just so damn lazy I dont wanna go through 3 steps if I dont have too...lol. One the other hand though, I need those results so whatever it takes! :beer:

BLK_03

Established Member
Pads are from Scott too. White pad (I believe Lake Country is the brand) for the SSR, then black pad for the hand glaze, and finally wax by hand. Pads are used on a Porter Cable.

Sambandit - The car will still look damn good w/ just the hand glaze (this is what I used to do). But over time/washings, the scrathes/swirls kind of bear their ugly faces... I am pretty anal and those scratches just drove me crazy so I searched for a way to remove them (read: SSR). I would say if your car is just a fun weekend car, hand glaze only is fine. But, if when light hits your car as in the first pic and you can see scratches, and IT BOTHERS THE CRAP OUT OF YOU (like it did me), or if you are in car shows (hmmmmm, dunno, lets say w/ a really fancy flame job perhaps ;-) ?), I would use the SSR...

blowngt

Established Member
BLK_03 said:
Pads are from Scott too. White pad (I believe Lake Country is the brand) for the SSR, then black pad for the hand glaze, and finally wax by hand. Pads are used on a Porter Cable.

Thanks!!! I used the SSR 2.5 with a blue (fine polishing) pad that I have on a porter cable and I didn't get the results I expected. Who is "Scott" and where can I buy his pads??? Ever use any of the other SSR products???

Thanks... :beer:

Talus

LookingThroughAWideAngle
Established Member
SublimeRT said:
Awesome work man. I'm going to order the same products you used along with a bunch of microfiber towels and some buffing pads for my PC as soon as the weather warms up and it stops raining. I can't wait to see my car swirl mark free. It's had the damn things since day 1. :(

thats why whenever i buy a car, from a dealership or private owner, i tell them not to wash it up before i take delivery. may sound a little crazy but im OCD when it comes to my paint.

spree

Established Member
blowngt said:
Thanks!!! I used the SSR 2.5 with a blue (fine polishing) pad that I have on a porter cable and I didn't get the results I expected.

Use a cutting pad for SSR2.5. Start off the PC at about 3-4, then crank it up to 5-6 until you work it in well.

blowngt said:
Who is "Scott" and where can I buy his pads??? Ever use any of the other SSR products???

the guy that owns specialty motoring.... www.specialtymotoring.com

DropTopFord 5 0

Established Member
every time ive seen anyone use a buffer on a dark car... it looks good from a distance, then you catch the sun and it looks like someone swirled the paint til it looked like it was covered in cob webs or something, is it maybe the compund they used, like because they just used regular car wax or something??!! ive always been scared to used a power buffer but after seeing your results, i am very jealous and would love to to the same on my 10 year ols black stang that is in dire need of "swirl removal"

BLK_03

Established Member
DropTopFord 5 0 said:
every time ive seen anyone use a buffer on a dark car... it looks good from a distance, then you catch the sun and it looks like someone swirled the paint til it looked like it was covered in cob webs or something, is it maybe the compund they used, like because they just used regular car wax or something??!! ive always been scared to used a power buffer but after seeing your results, i am very jealous and would love to to the same on my 10 year ols black stang that is in dire need of "swirl removal"

The right products coupled with the Porter Cable will not mess anything up...

I tried it first on my daily driver Civic. I let the mofo sit there for minutes on the highest setting. No probs... The porter cable is fool proof unless your are waxing with spit and sand...

Blackhalo

Established Member
So, what can i use to prevent swirls? Im guessing my washing towel and what ever im drying with gave me em.. cause they are all over my car were the sun hits.

Users who are viewing this thread