Hot info on the GT500 Cobra

spdfrkFL

Track Addict
Established Member
I just got back from the SVTOA Sebring event. Late Sat. the GT500 showed up! I talked to a few of the head people at SVT. They confirmed that the supercharger was a whipple, and the production model will be a whipple! In fact the car that you see in the pictures in just about true to the production model. The car will have Brembo brakes and a solid rear. They said the IRS will not make it into production, they also said that there was not much difference in performance compaired to the solid rear. The IRS also would add about $8,000 to the sticker price. Which gets me to the sticker price, they said it would be $40,000 or less. When I said "What do you mean by under $39,995" They chuckled. They also said the Cobra production will run for 3-5 years. One thing that they where unsure about is that they may sell the Cobra's at all Ford dealerships which means they will bring a premium (for the first year). But they did say that they will be a Cobra for everyone that wants one!

spdfrkFL

Track Addict
Established Member
Photo's

48ea3aaf.gif

Seven1

Established Member
Any confirmation on the actual production start date and availability???

Joes66Pony

Dump the SRA
Established Member
Now the IRS would have added 8,000 to the MSRP. First it was 2,000 when the GT debuted, then Shelby said it was 5,000, and now it's 8,000. Sounds like Ford and SVT are trying real hard to justify not including it.

Unfortunately, it just sounds to me like IRS will not be seen in the Mustang in any form for at least 5 years. Why include in any Mustang if it's not going to be in the top of the line GT500.

rmgtc01

Established Member
SpdfrkFL,

I was there too! Where abouts do you live in South FL. Do you go to the Tower shops in Fort Laduie on Fridays?

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
OK so no IRS. Whooptidoo, it will perform just as well. Hell they said it!

Huge blower pulley? DETUNED.

Joes66Pony

Dump the SRA
Established Member
Chris Benvie said:
OK so no IRS. Whooptidoo, it will perform just as well. Hell they said it!

Huge blower pulley? DETUNED.

It's not just whooptido ok.

It's a big friggin deal, especially for a car that going to come in at well over 40,000 after all is said and done.

So while all of you can cream yourselves over big hp yadda yadda...there are some of us who actually want the Mustang and Cobra to move into the new century, and not rely on "heritage" and big hp to overcome a car's shortcomings.

I know it doesn't matter. The GT500 will sell out and will be an instant collectible. But there are some of us who want Ford to be held accountable for what they have promised us and not delivered. Hell..if the car came out with just 420 hp and still stickered at 40K, you'd all be crying bloody murder. I'm not going to give Ford a free pass..and nobody should either, especially at this day and age.

The Saint

Cookie Monster
Established Member
Joes66Pony said:
It's not just whooptido ok.

It's a big friggin deal, especially for a car that going to come in at well over 40,000 after all is said and done.

So while all of you can cream yourselves over big hp yadda yadda...there are some of us who actually want the Mustang and Cobra to move into the new century, and not rely on "heritage" and big hp to overcome a car's shortcomings.

I know it doesn't matter. The GT500 will sell out and will be an instant collectible. But there are some of us who want Ford to be held accountable for what they have promised us and not delivered. Hell..if the car came out with just 420 hp and still stickered at 40K, you'd all be crying bloody murder. I'm not going to give Ford a free pass..and nobody should either, especially at this day and age.

Not all of us want a IRS in the rear. So quit your crying and move on........

Joes66Pony

Dump the SRA
Established Member
SaleenCobra said:
Not all of us want a IRS in the rear. So quit your crying and move on........

And not all of us want a stick axle. Wow...we got far there now didn't we :rollseyes

And don't discount those of us who want IRS simply because those of you who can't turn a car got your wish.

Hey..at least I'm not bitching about the car having cupholders like in some other forums.

Last edited:

The Saint

Cookie Monster
Established Member
Joes66Pony said:
And don't discount those of us who want IRS simply because those of you who can't turn a car got your wish.

Maybe some of us don't need the training wheels of an IRS to turn..... :lol:

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
Solid axle is good but ancient. Sophistocated IRS set-up is optimal for best handling. Soild is better for drag-racing. I have had both. For my driving I prefer IRS. PROs and CONs about both.

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Fastlane Cobra said:
Solid axle is good but ancient. Sophistocated IRS set-up is optimal for best handling. Soild is better for drag-racing. I have had both. For my driving I prefer IRS. PROs and CONs about both.

Amen.

See its like this. The IRS would cost ford about 2000. It would cost about 5000 by the time they made a little on it, but would have to mark it up to 8000 in order to be able to afford all the halfshaft warrantee jobs if it worked out like the 03/04 setup. :lol:

jshen

Established Member
Air Box

Anyone note the air box is really huge......and on the opposite side from the fox body...the battery is also against the firewall. Does the air still get pulled through that fender air silencer used on previous model?

SGL

Banned
I still don't understand why Ford had to run the fuel hose over the blower. No space behind?

Users who are viewing this thread