Suggested Nor cal performance shops

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
Hey guys,

I'd like to get some suggestions from you guys regarding local Mustang Performance shops. I've been trying to find a reliable, trustworthy shop for my mustang mod needs - a shop to call my own per say.

So I just discovered Mustang Ranch in Santa Clara from a recent thread. I have no idea about them but i plan to pay a visit this weekend to check it out.

And I know of (the re-born) Apex Motorsports, also in Santa Clara. This is the only shop I've had an experience with but unfortunately, they didn't work out for me.

My dealer suggested Mostly Mustangs in Oakland, I've called them, and they seem like nice guys. Interestingly, they only do labor, you have to buy your parts and seem to specialize more with older mustangs.

And finally, a friend who got a motor built and swapped, highly recommends HCI up in Sac, but that's quite a drive for me.

Those are the 4 I know of so far.

Can any of you Northern Californians give me your suggestion? I'm looking for a place that does gear changes, tunes, weld in SFCs, Coil Over conversions, and maybe even more advanced stuff without trying to take advantage of my ignorance.

thanks in advanced. :bowdown:

Last edited:

Jeff S

Established Member
I do 99% of the work on my cars and the other 1% I let Mustang Ranch handle. They do great work. :thumbsup:

DSG2003

Established Member
You are in the same boat as me. I have been trying to find a good tuner in Northern CA for a while.

CaliSS2001

Established Member
I found a really cool shop in my area called Altered Speed in french camp Ca, right near Stockton where I live. They do gears, custom fab, dyno tunning with diablo softwear, order parts, the whole nine. The owner is a really cool guy also he has a mean 500+ hp Fox.

CoBrad

Established Member
I think it depends what you want done. As noted, Mostly Mustangs is mostly a center for the older Mustangs.

Up in Suisun (south of Fairfield, in the North Bay) you have Tony Oddo (TOE Performance) who does a lot of work with the NASCAR guys. Also in Suisun is California Street Machine (they have a chassis dyno). L J's Speed Shop in Napa has an engine dyno.

"Top Of The Hill" Perfomance Center (now in Livermore) worked on my Superformance Cobra when they were in Pleasanton. They do great work, but I think they lean more towards high-end racing performance than tuning.

Brad

Dans03C

Established Member
Agree

They didnt work out for me neither. i would still avoid Apex motorsports. Even though they are re born they probably still have the same people working for them.

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
I went to Mustang ranch and everything worked out very well. they let me know what they were going to do before i gave the ok. i had great results from them installing pulleys and tuning a chip. give them a try.

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
I discovered another performance shop via Craigslist (of all places) while seaching for a Flash Tuner retailer.

Anyone have any experiences with Arlee Taylor (owner) of Custom Dyno Tuning in Hayward? They appearently are a SCT tuner.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
Dans03C said:
They didnt work out for me neither. i would still avoid Apex motorsports. Even though they are re born they probably still have the same people working for them.

I think Mario is the only holdover from the old owner. The new owner, Mike Mak is very customer oriented and is trying hard to rebuild the reputation of Apex by concentrating on the customers and their rides.

Apex is putting on a show this May 14th, in fact. Gonna have some nice rides there from what I gather, too. Including Panteras. Man, I haven't seen a nice Pantera in a looooong time.

Last I heard there are 80+ cars that are going to be there.

I've never met Mr. Mak, but I have exchanged posts with him on another forum. He seems to have "righted the ship", so to speak.

Stewart

Dans03C

Established Member
Apex

Hopefully he can rebuild there reputaion. As far as i know Mario and Ed are the hold overs, both a big part of the problem i had at apex. I wish the new owner the best of luck.

rb185afm

Established Member
Force Fed in Sac has done all of my work on my 03 Cobra and my 02 Z06. They do good work and seemed price right with everyone else.

mred612

Established Member
I don't know the name of the place, but if u are familiar with Santa Clara, off of Lafayette in between Martin Ave and Central exp. right across the street from Le Grande Affair limo comp, I always see a bunch of cobras and vipers never any other cars being worked on. And I've pass by their shop, it always looks like they have a lot of business. I'll try to find out the name for u.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
mred612 said:
I don't know the name of the place, but if u are familiar with Santa Clara, off of Lafayette in between Martin Ave and Central exp. right across the street from Le Grande Affair limo comp, I always see a bunch of cobras and vipers never any other cars being worked on. And I've pass by their shop, it always looks like they have a lot of business. I'll try to find out the name for u.

That's Apex...the same Apex Motorsports that was posted earlier in the thread. :thumbsup:

Stewart

Users who are viewing this thread