TICK...NOT head related.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I have this annoying tick tick tick tick noise that echoes out from under the car. (or tack tack tack tack)

I've chased it, its not the valve guide tick.

This noise goes away in neutral if I raise the engine speed to 11-1200rpm. It seems to come from the clutch area. I chased it with a stethoscope at one point, and the ONLY place that had the same "hit" that went in tune with the sound was the clutch fork, where it sticks out of the bellhousing.

You can hear the sound outside of the car, but it is most prominent from the driver's seat whith the door open.

Its like a little man is taking the rounded end of a ball-peen hammer and hitting the clutch fork.

The clutch pedal can be in/out, the trans can be in/out of gear, still makes it. Car had the trans replaced at 8k miles, made the same noise with both trannys.

My 89 5.0 has always had a noise similar to this, but nowhere near as hard/prominent as this one.

If anyone knows what this noise is please tell me. If you have put in an aftermarket clutch, did you notice if this noise went away?

CompOrange04

Just livin the dream...
Established Member
does it do it all the time, or maybe just on a cold startup? piston slap maybe? I get mine first thing in the morning as its still kinda cool, but goes away. good luck!

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
This is definitely not piston slap in any way form or fashion.

It is there after hours of driving/heat soak.

Actually, its quieter on cold start, because the idle is higher.

eddiemel30

Established Member
i had the same tick noise from the passenger side thought that it was the infamous tick , but it sounded different since i already had the d/s head problem.it just so happend to be that it started getting a weird knocking noise and i couldnt pin point it .it sounded it was coming from the front but it sounded like it was were the transmission was .so i took it to my service dept ,which by the way they are great"and it whined up being my throw out bearing or the real name the(release bearing).just something i want to share with my fellow cobra brothers.so all this time ihad a bad t.o.b and didnt know about it.from what my tech said , not all the time they make a squel noise it can,tick,knock or churp.so any one out there that has a tick from p/s area or knock have your t.o.b checked out if you havent got it replaced yet.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I've considered the TOB, however, it has always had this noise. Shifts fine, sound doesn't change with pedal movement.

I'm getting ready to be in there anyway, maybe I'll get the dealer to agree with me.

qwicksnake

Established Member
Mine makes a knocking sound also. But only when you drive it for a while and the engine is warm. It sounds kind of like a rod knock or a bad bearing. I took it to the dealer and they said it was from the supercharger. I know its not that as its louder from under the car. It also kind of sounds like from the tranny area. Do you think I could have a bad throwout bearing also?

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Qwicksnake:

That is the type of sound I have. Its not deep enough to be internal engine, and mine does get worse as it warms up.

It doesn't sound like other loose superchargers I've heard, they usually sound like little ball bearings rolling around under the hood, or some low grumbly gear backlash.

gmynko

I like injecting people
Established Member
mblgjr said:
I have this annoying tick tick tick tick noise that echoes out from under the car. (or tack tack tack tack)

I've chased it, its not the valve guide tick.

This noise goes away in neutral if I raise the engine speed to 11-1200rpm. It seems to come from the clutch area. I chased it with a stethoscope at one point, and the ONLY place that had the same "hit" that went in tune with the sound was the clutch fork, where it sticks out of the bellhousing.

You can hear the sound outside of the car, but it is most prominent from the driver's seat whith the door open.

Its like a little man is taking the rounded end of a ball-peen hammer and hitting the clutch fork.

The clutch pedal can be in/out, the trans can be in/out of gear, still makes it. Car had the trans replaced at 8k miles, made the same noise with both trannys.

My 89 5.0 has always had a noise similar to this, but nowhere near as hard/prominent as this one.

If anyone knows what this noise is please tell me. If you have put in an aftermarket clutch, did you notice if this noise went away?

Can you post a recording?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
For what it's worth, sometimes the dealer isn't as eager to fix a "problem" as they should be. So one idea is to go to an independent garage with a good reputation and one that knows these cars well. Have them diagnose the problem in writing and take that to your dealer. It might just make them a bit more apt to fix it before it becomes a major issue. I have known a couple of people who have done this with good results.

Also, even if the dealer doesn't feel the issue is a problem that can/should be repaired, MAKE SURE THEY ENTER IT INTO THE SYSTEM. I'd go back occasionally and report the same thing. This way when your warrantee expires and the issue DOES become a fixable problem they will more than likely fix it at no charge since you reported it in the past. This happened with my wife's Mazda. The dealer fixed a fuel injector problem after the warrantee ran out simply because we had complained about a fuel problem during the warrantee (but they couldn't diagnose it). Just a suggestion.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
CobraBob said:
For what it's worth, sometimes the dealer isn't as eager to fix a "problem" as they should be. So one idea is to go to an independent garage with a good reputation and one that knows these cars well. Have them diagnose the problem in writing and take that to your dealer. It might just make them a bit more apt to fix it before it becomes a major issue. I have known a couple of people who have done this with good results.

Also, even if the dealer doesn't feel the issue is a problem that can/should be repaired, MAKE SURE THEY ENTER IT INTO THE SYSTEM. I'd go back occasionally and report the same thing. This way when your warrantee expires and the issue DOES become a fixable problem they will more than likely fix it at no charge since you reported it in the past. This happened with my wife's Mazda. The dealer fixed a fuel injector problem after the warrantee ran out simply because we had complained about a fuel problem during the warrantee (but they couldn't diagnose it). Just a suggestion.

Very, very wise advice.

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
Could it be injector noise....I thought I may have had the tick, but the dealer said it was injector noise....they had a Cobra in with the tick and beleive me....the tick is a verrrrrry distinct noise. I was told the injectors tend to be noisy on the terminators.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Thanks Bob, they know my face, its in the system for it.

This is not the light injector tick. They sound completely different and can't be heard well with the hood down. Nor do they have a loud metallic sound that could eminate from under the car.

I really need to get a recording.

trey193

Established Member
I had a very metallic tick on my car and thought for sure it was the head, got the car on the lift and noticed my dust cover that covers the clutch cable had come loose and was ticking back and forth on the bellhousing, removed it and the car is quiet as a mouse! Check it out!!

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I've had that little cover off and back on. Its tight. This sound is a "harder" sound than that.

Keep the inputs coming. I appreciate it. I won't have a recording until the weekend maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread