Truck is out of Comission

203Cree

Established Member
Well, I screwed up. Most of you know I just did a drop this past weekend. Well, the Pinion shims they sent with the kit are 6 degree shims, and me thinkin that was a little extreme for the drop I installed, decided the the truck was at least driveable until I could get some less radical ( 4 degree ) shims sent to me. Well, I just crawled under the truck to check every thing. The U-Joints are fine and there's no evidence of leaking from the rear end, those being the two things I was most concerned about. BUT. This is the odd part. There is MASSIVE amounts of scoring on the driveshaft from making frame contact. The pinion angle its self is not that off, but that and the overall proximity to the frame apparently make a bad combo. So she's down for the count till I get some new shims :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

Moral of the story:

Never drive anything that's not complete.

Laters
Rob

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Where you racing/launching your truck? Without traction bars you can get axle wrap and that'll make your driveshaft hit too. I've seen a few people do it at the track.

203Cree

Established Member
no, all this was done with fairly easy driving. I've been takin it easy on her anyway cuz I was gonna shim it, just didn't have the shims I wanted.

203Cree

Established Member
yep. that's exactly where it's hittin. I think the damage will blend out, it's maybe a thousands deep, but I don't want it to get any worse. What shims were you runnin LL? You had basically the same setup.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
The driveshaft is scored??? Our aluminum driveshafts are very delicate. I've seen some with small dents turn into pretzels. Be careful.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
203Cree said:
yep. that's exactly where it's hittin. I think the damage will blend out, it's maybe a thousands deep, but I don't want it to get any worse. What shims were you runnin LL? You had basically the same setup.

You have to slightly notch the bed/frame where it's hitting. It's not the shims.

203Cree

Established Member
LIGHTNING LARRY said:
You have to slightly notch the bed/frame where it's hitting. It's not the shims.

Oh that's just lovely.

The driveshaft is scored??? Our aluminum driveshafts are very delicate. I've seen some with small dents turn into pretzels. Be careful.

Yeah, it's kinda makin me nervous too. I'm gonna put a mic on it tomorrow, see how bad it really is. If it's more than a couple thousandths, which I doubt it is, but it could be, I'm gonna be lookin for a new d/s.

203Cree

Established Member
LIGHTNING LARRY said:
It's not that bad a job. That's just part of having a beautiful slammed truck. :beer:

Yeah, I guess it shouldn't be too bad. But that means I gotta drive it to a place where I can do that. I don't have anything in my parkin lot. Hmm. Guess I found tomorrows project.

203Cree

Established Member
Well, I put in the shims tonite. took care of the problem. there's prolly an inch btwn the d/s and the frame with the truck on the bump stops. the scoring was less than a thounsandth, so I'm not really gonna worry about it. My truck will prolly never see the track, so hookin hard with a good launch and pretzelin the damn thing isn't a concern right now. Just thought I'd update.

203Cree

Established Member
OH-MAN said:
So are you running traction bars? or a loop?

none of the above. my goal with this truck is to make it a very clean and smooth bulevard (sp?) cruiser, not a drag strip monster. That's what our drag cars are for.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
t-bars wouldnt be a bad idea tho man
it helps keep the rear steady as in when hitting bumps it doesnt bounce sideways like it might stock (i know mine does)

203Cree

Established Member
yeah, I'm not sayin I won't put em on, just that they're not at the very top of the list right now. thanks for the advice :beer:

203Cree

Established Member
PimpRohr said:
Raise the back up some and be done with it...

I did already. It's sittin an inch higher now than it was in my sig pic. It ain't gettin no higher than that. :coolman:

OH-MAN

Established Member
203Cree said:
none of the above. my goal with this truck is to make it a very clean and smooth bulevard (sp?) cruiser, not a drag strip monster. That's what our drag cars are for.

No problem, Just thinking about the safety factor of the T-bars, They will help prevent axel wind up(wrap). Lots of guys run without them and are fine.
I prefer to use them. Thats why they make chocolate and vanilla.
Good luck on the rub problem. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread