Yellow 2005 GTO goes down...

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
I've been hearing a lot of chatter how much faster the 2005 GTO's are and supposedly (from the LS2 crew anyways) the 2005 GTO is more than a match for the Cobra.

I don't think so. Coming down from exit 12 on Rt. 3 south this morning, I had a 2005 GTO (I think it was an 05, it did have the hood scoops, but never saw the rear of the car so I'm not 100% sure), came flying up on my ass. I was going 85, just crusing down to pick my car pool friend up for the daily commute to Boston.

So I dropped down to 5th, pulled over into the right hand lane, but apparently he wanted to go as he tossed a few revs at me.

Not being one to turn down an offer from a GM product, I dropped down into 4th gear.

I don't think the GTO knew what hit him, or he had a A4, because by the time I slowed down at 120 MPH he was at least a good 3-4 car lengths behind me.

He didn't even look my direction as I pulled off the highway onto exit 10.

My mods?
Borla Stingers
Bassani catted X
Polished plenum & Accufab TB
Steeda CAI.

I forgot to mention, I'm still running on my Dunlop M3 winter tires too (245/45R17).

Maybe next time I'll run into one of those guys with the cammed LS2's.

I guess I have the give the GTO some credit. The interior is better than the SN9x's

Last edited:

Strapt

Gearhead
Nice kill :thumbsup: I bet it's going to hard to make that next payment knowing his GTO is soooo sloooooow :p

JDsfastGN

Established Member
Sounds believable to me and what probably should have happened, ive heard of one stock 05 with only nittos running 12.80s but the highest trap I've heard of is 108-109. They can be a match for a bone stock avg 03 but your car probably has a good 5-6 mph pull on him. Not making excuses but it amazes me reading the GTO boards how many of them can not drive worth a damn, so that could have helped out as well. Good kill anyways as even a non pullied minor bolt on cobra is a badass car

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
Good kill, but it's obvious we'll never see a race stock for stock as most Cobra owners have already modded they're car quite a bit. A modded Cobra vs. a GTO which is probably not even broken in yet equals :burn: Still waiting for a stock vs. stock story.....................

Last edited:

OrgasmicSVT

Established Member
Good kill!!!
There is a yellow 05 at our track who is stuck in the mid 14's :) People need to stop skimping on the driver mod. It is a very needed option :)

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Evil_Merlin said:
I forgot to mention, I'm still running on my Dunlop M3 winter tires too (245/45R17).

Good kill!

Time to change back to summer tires man!! I can't stand driving on my winter tires for too long. It's like driving on four jelly filled donuts.

By the end of March, I switch those bitches out and go back to my GS-D3's.

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
NyteByte said:
Good kill!

Time to change back to summer tires man!! I can't stand driving on my winter tires for too long. It's like driving on four jelly filled donuts.

By the end of March, I switch those bitches out and go back to my GS-D3's.

I wish I could. Wife's medical bills were HUGE, and I'm broke right now. Hopefully I'll be on real rubber before the end of the summer. I've already missed 4 race weekends and I'm getting sick of the really shitty handling.

Anyways the best I've heard of any 2005 GTO run the 1/4 bone stock was a 12.8, most are in the very low 13's. I've seen (and been included in that number) bone stock Cobra's run 12.7's and even some in the 12.6's, but most are 12.8-12.9. The little bit more HP and the little bit lower weight helps the Terminators a bit.

Last edited:

BLTONFirehawk

Established Member
pestilence said:
You better watch yourself, that guy just might go buy a charger and come looking for you....hahaha

Id rather go heads/cam.......LSX's dont really love FI with that compression ratio

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
TORNATIC!! said:
Good kill, but it's obvious we'll never see a race stock for stock as most Cobra owners have already modded they're car quite a bit. A modded Cobra vs. a GTO which is probably not even broken in yet equals :burn: Still waiting for a stock vs. stock story.....................

I raced a black 05 at the strip 2 weeks ago. He had exhaust and a K/N (as far as mods I knew of, probably didn't have anything else). Looked like stock rubber on the car. Not sure of tranny type.

We both ran 13.3 @ Firebird. 1100 ft altitude, 90 degrees ambient temp and sh!tty as all hell traction here in Phoenix now (don't even want to know what the track temp was :nonono: ). I trapped 109+ to his ~105 or so (don't exactly remeber his speed). He had a better launch and had me at 60ft but I came back to win by a few 100ths at the end.

And I'm stock right off the dealership lot. My run was on 91 octane. Probably as close as you'll get to stock vs stock.

Last edited:

nastygt

Officially Crazy
Established Member
When I went to the track I seen a Yellow one run and a Silver one run they were both 04's but were both running 14.5 and 6's. They didn't really impress me at all maybe they were autos.

StevesBuddyAntz

Established Member
Well...The new GTO's are capable of 12.7-9's w/ a good driver and usuallytrap in the 107-109 range...so yes they are faster by alot but the Cobra stock for stock is still faster...plus your not stock so what ya expect and good chances he was if it actually was indeed a 05

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
StevesBuddyAntz said:
Well...The new GTO's are capable of 12.7-9's w/ a good driver and usuallytrap in the 107-109 range...so yes they are faster by alot but the Cobra stock for stock is still faster...plus your not stock so what ya expect and good chances he was if it actually was indeed a 05

I've seen ONE GTO do a 12.8.

I've never seen a GTO do better. I have however seen bone stock Cobra's do 12.5's and 12.6's and myself (not the best driver in the world) pull a 12.7@ 108.

The new 2005 GTO, while faster than the 2004, is slower than the Cobra. It puts down less HP to the ground, on smaller tires with more weight...

RealQuick

Established Member
Evil_Merlin said:
myself (not the best driver in the world) pull a 12.7@ 108.

No offense, but thats slow mph for epping. Epping is usually a decent track. Trap speed could be low based on weather. I went to Epping when my camaro had 368rwhp/336rwtq and I ran 12.8 @ 111mph w/ 2.04 60'. It had rained earlier in the day. Everyone was complaining that they were running ~3mph slower than normal. I went back two weeks later with no changes at all and ran 12.5 @ 114mph with a 2.07 60'.

Any dyno numbers for your car?

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
RealQuick said:
No offense, but thats slow mph for epping. Epping is usually a decent track. Trap speed could be low based on weather. I went to Epping when my camaro had 368rwhp/336rwtq and I ran 12.8 @ 111mph w/ 2.04 60'. It had rained earlier in the day. Everyone was complaining that they were running ~3mph slower than normal. I went back two weeks later with no changes at all and ran 12.5 @ 114mph with a 2.07 60'.

Any dyno numbers for your car?

Which is exactly why I said I'm not the best driver in the world. I also failed to mention it was the middle of July, the temp was over 85 and the humidity was high. But the car was new and I wanted to see what she could do.

That was when my car was BONE stock. I don't have a dyno when I did that run, but I do know following me adding Steeda CAI and Borla Stingers I was just shy of 422 RWHP 430 TQ.

Since then I've gone with all the other mods listed...
Now I'm around 470 RWHP 478 TQ give or take some.

I won't be running at Epping any more now that 11.49's require a roll bar and I've grown to like DR's a lot when I can actually borrow my buddies set.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread