My Nittos have arrived!!!! What 2 do????!

2K4VENM

Setn off Ur Car Alarm!
Established Member
Damn it! My eyes are about to bug out from researching, reading, thinking, pondering, investigating and contemplating what WHEELS I'm gonna run my Nitto 555'rs on. Ordered the 315/35/17's on Tuesday, and on Wednesday ordered the AFS replica 10.5's....... And now I'm having a bit of buyers remorse.. :cuss: (with the 10.5's)

I love the way the Nittos bulge a bit on the stocks, and the fact that I wouldnt have to mess with the infamous IRS bolt. Drawback to this set-up is that I want the fender filled more and the tires to stick out further.... (dont wanna run spacers)

VS.......

I love the way the Nittos stick out a lil further on the 10.5's yet I am not thrilled about having to shave the bolt 1/4" and I dont really like how narrow the tire sits on the wheel, with no bulge and the wheel stickin out a bit...

DECISIONS DECISIONS DECISIONS! :bash:

Can anyone hook up some pics of both these set-ups!? Ive looked everywhere and there arent too many snapshots out there I can rely on so I can make a final decision...... Any advice/help is greatly appreciated!

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Here's how I see it:

I was like you at first: I hated the idea of wheel spacers and I didn't want to jerk around with the bolt heads. But after I researched it, I was comfortable with a conservative setup of 7/32" custom-made hubcentric wheel spacers, ET lug nuts, and modified bolt heads to get my big-azz 315s to fit.

Dealing with the IRS bolt heads is not that big of a deal! Don't let it sway your decision. If you're not comfortable with grinding the heads down while they're in the car, just buy a pair of extra bolts and pay a machine shop a few bucks to cut the heads down on a lathe. That's what I did with my bolts. After they were done and I painted them, they looked like factory bolts!

10.5" wheels: Nitto 315s ARE going to look a little narrow on these wheels. Check the diagram below and look at the sidewall to see how it will be. As you can see, the lip of the wheel will actually be out further than the sidewall of the tire. To get these to fit without rubbing, you can either machine the bolt heads down or install some 1/4" hubcentric spacers. The factory lugs are plenty long enough to safely handle this size of spacer. If you're looking for that "fat" look out back, I'm not sure you'll be happy. I had 10.5" wheels with 285 BFGs (about the same size as a Nitto 315) and I didn't like the look...and I moved up to wider street tire 315s.

Factory wheels: Nitto 315s will bulge a little on these wheels, but like you said...they won't fill up the rear fenderwells as well as the 10.5" wheels do. You could always do this setup AND install some 1" hubcentric H&R wheel spacers. You'd get the best of both worlds with this setup: the sidewall will bulge a little AND the wheel will fill up the rear fenderwell. Many people are running 1" wheel spacers with stock wheels and it looks great (and it's perfectly safe)!

285s on 10.5" wheels (this is very similar to how the Nittos will look):

Cobra3.jpg

Tire width diagram:

TIRES.gif

Nitto 315s on stock wheels:

315_Nittos.jpg

The Big Kahuna: 315 Goodyear GS D3s on 10.5" wheels:

gs-d3.jpg

Bolt head mod:

Shaved_Bolt.jpg

2K4VENM

Setn off Ur Car Alarm!
Established Member
Right on... I think I'll just shave the bolts down 1/4" while they are on there.
Shouldn't take but a couple minutes on both sides. About the 1" spacers, will this require me to buy some E/T lugs? or do the factory ones still grab on fine?

Excellent info. Seems like this is the hot topic lately, and Ive learned a lot.
Thanks for the pics and diagrams. I'll keep you guys posted. Hell I'll slap a pic on here once there on.

Peace

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
1SLYSNAKE said:
...About the 1" spacers, will this require me to buy some E/T lugs? or do the factory ones still grab on fine?
You don't need anything with 1" spacers. They come with their own wheel studs built-in. That's the nice thing about them. You don't have to mess with the bolt heads, wheel studs, or worry about ET lugnuts. With the 1" spacers, you just bolt them on and go. You can check them out HERE

ModsAway

Established Member
Top_Fuel said:
You don't need anything with 1" spacers. They come with their own wheel studs built-in. That's the nice thing about them. You don't have to mess with the bolt heads, wheel studs, or worry about ET lugnuts. With the 1" spacers, you just bolt them on and go. You can check them out HERE

+1

I am running the 1" spacers w/ integrated wheel studs from maximummotorsports.com. 10.5 inch wheel with 315 GS-D3's.

They stick out a little from the fender but I have gotten nothing but compliments and plenty of them. (those sticklers that don't like how they stick out, which I understand, I suppose have just kept quiet and not spoiled my party lol).

2K4VENM

Setn off Ur Car Alarm!
Established Member
Top fuel! Thanks for all the advice and help. Your help was much appreciated on my set-up. I am now runnin the 17x10.5 AFS wheels wrapped in the Nitto 315/35/17r's.
Feels and looks great! Had the shop grind down the bolt 1/4", then spray it with Black rustoleum and BAM! Thats all she wrote. For anyone else considering this set-up.......
GO FOR IT. You wont be disappointed!

Sonic03inSC

Established Member
You can run 10.5 with no spacer and no mod to the IRS bolt with the Nitto Dr's. I have had mine on for 3 weeks now with no problems.

2K4VENM

Setn off Ur Car Alarm!
Established Member
Nice! Since I blew my nitto out I went with the Goodyear GD-D3 and I must say....it really fills up the wheel wells lovely! Gotta love those wide meats~!

Thanks for all the help...my next mission is to drop that snake~

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
is anyone running 17x9 in the front 18x10.5 in the back?

i think the 18x10.5 in the back with some nitto 315's would look good with the 1i nch spacer.

Anyone got some pics?

Users who are viewing this thread