Timesert #5553 Spark Plug Repair Kit

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
For anyone who cares (the other threads regarding this subject are stuck in the archive)

Timesert kit #5553 aka "ford triton repair kit" does in fact work on the DOHC heads, and the job can be done with the valve cover still on.

The only caveat I found was that the piston needs to go beyond TDC. The instructions say to make sure the valves are closed, but you also need the piston down in its bore a good ways. That way you dont kiss the piston with the reamer (im sure you can guess how i know that now - i made a shiny spot on an otherwise carbon encrusted piston)

the angled shop vac attachment fits perfectly where the coil pack goes to suck up whatever might be down in the spark plug hole (eg., metal shavings from doing a spark plug thread repair)

use plenty of grease on the cutter, reamer, and tap, as you will generate plenty of shavings. go slow, and follow the directions and you will be fine.

so far, so good, but i only ran for more beer :pepper: we'll find out in two weeks how it handles the road course.

vipergts281

Established Member
????

Are you referring to fixing the threads from a spark plug blowout??

Just curious since that just happened to me yesterday.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
yes. yes i am. i blew #4 out, but just while putting around. not while on the road course.

i ran the living snot out of the car all weekend, and it ran like a champ. drove home and everything was fine. two days later, and i have this wicked exhaust leak......turns out it was coming from the spark plug hole....

good to see you again, old friend! where you been hiding?

Last edited:

vipergts281

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
yes. yes i am. i blew #4 out, but just while putting around. not while on the road course.

i ran the living snot out of the car all weekend, and it ran like a champ. drove home and everything was fine. two days later, and i have this wicked exhaust leak......turns out it was coming from the spark plug hole....
Interesting.....as I said, one of my park plugs blew out the other day. I thought I had a small exhaust leak as well, but then about 15 minutes later, the plug went.

How much was the repair kit? My car is at a shop getting fixed.

ShelbyGuy said:
good to see you again, old friend! where you been hiding?
I've been pretty busy the last few months....new house and g/f, and a few other things. I haven't been online too much.

How have you been?

:beer:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
$350 for the kit from time fastener, inc. comes with everything in a nice drawer and five inserts.

i was down for a while but im on the upswing :pepper:

vipergts281 said:
Interesting.....as I said, one of my park plugs blew out the other day. I thought I had a small exhaust leak as well, but then about 15 minutes later, the plug went.

How much was the repair kit? My car is at a shop getting fixed.

I've been pretty busy the last few months....new house and g/f, and a few other things. I haven't been online too much.

How have you been?

:beer:

vipergts281

Established Member
mystic04 said:
Yo gene more problems again !!!! darn it never stops for you at .!!
Hey Gary,

Yup, more problems, lol. It seems every 10,000-15,000 miles something happens. I can't wait until the day that I sell this car.

vipergts281

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
$350 for the kit from time fastener, inc. comes with everything in a nice drawer and five inserts.

i was down for a while but im on the upswing :pepper:
Thanks for the info. :burnout:

mystic04

Established Member
I figure you sell that nightmare by now and have the vett or viper!! that or waite for the new Gt500 comming out has to be better that what you have now.Anyhow we need to get somethign going at the park at ridley or whatever so start setting something up you got more contacts than i do.We got a GTG on Aug 21 at hooter's 10am meet time then out to valley fordge park so keep it in mind.

vipergts281

Established Member
mystic04 said:
I figure you sell that nightmare by now and have the vett or viper!! that or waite for the new Gt500 comming out has to be better that what you have now.Anyhow we need to get somethign going at the park at ridley or whatever so start setting something up you got more contacts than i do.We got a GTG on Aug 21 at hooter's 10am meet time then out to valley fordge park so keep it in mind.
I planned on keeping it until early next year and then either getting the Vette or Viper then. I haven't been working for awhile, so I am broke right now.....hence me still having the Cobra. Only time will tell what I do with it.

I'll keep Aug. 21st in mind. I'll try to make it.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
well its been two track events with no apparent ill-effects i checked the plug periodically when i first put it in, but since there was nothing to look at, ive let it go for a little while.

i switched to br7ef and like them better than tr6, fwiw.

so far, so good :pepper:

Users who are viewing this thread