'04 Cobra vs. '06 300C SRT-8

Dan SS2471

Established Member
tv's 03 said:
What BS, a cobra would whip that heavy car

My speakers on my pc aren't working so I can't hear what's going on. It's definitely a 'Mustang' and a '300' is about all I can say from the video. I know what the '03 - '04 Cobras do (with a good driver). I do know that a stock SRT-8 (with a good driver) netted a 12.90 @ 108 at Atco back in June also. That said, I can only go by what I see and what is subtitled in the video. Not sure what's being said though. Anything far fetched?

BTW...there are some aftermarket goodies for the SRT-8 and one has seen mid 12s on street tires. Probably not the only one. So if you want to call BS on the 'stock' aspect of it, fine. But you should be careful about making blanket statements like the one you did...... ;-) There's always someone quicker than you...no matter what you drive and no matter what magazines say about your car.

Oh yeah...If you were kidding...funny. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
From my understanding, the SRTs are way underrated. Aren't those 6.1 Hemis making 450+ horsepower at the crank? Also, isn't a 300 SRT going to weigh probably 700 lbs more than a 04 Cobra?

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
The cobra traps 110-112 on average. The wing on the back of the Mustang was a Saleen. ;-) But of course it could have been changed. And it's definitely a vert which is heavier than a Coupe.

But still the 300c SRT8 is a bad ride.

killrSVT

Established Member
ugggh... I would love to slap that Cobra driver in the head... What the hell RPM was he launching at? slicks or no slicks.. sounded like he was launching in second.. He deserves to give me his '04, and he can take my '01... That race is a no brainer..

Unfortunately the overrated 425 hp 6.1L hemi, weighing in at 4200 lbs would not stand a chance against a well driven STOCK '04 cobra.... end of sentence.

Last edited:

crew_dawg16

Established Member
There was a post that said the cobra left at idle because he has already broken his rear-end at the track before.

DHG BULLITT

Try to find Mr. Warren G
Established Member
killrSVT said:
Unfortunately the overrated 425 hp 6.1L hemi, weighing in at 4200 lbs would not stand a chance against a well driven STOCK '04 cobra.... end of sentence.

That is what a period "." is used for...."."

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
crew_dawg16 said:
There was a post that said the cobra left at idle because he has already broken his rear-end at the track before.

So how is that a 300 beating a Cobra, if the guy isn't launching properly and the other guy knows about it, all the guy in the 300 was doing was running againsts someone he KNEW wouldn't really drive.

StangJason

Established Member
At the end of that video the Mustang doing the burnout was no 04 Cobra unless it has a GT hood.

pwnt04

Frickin' Ladies Man
Established Member
StangJason said:
At the end of that video the Mustang doing the burnout was no 04 Cobra unless it has a GT hood.

It had a loud ass Eaton whine. It was an '03/'04 Cobra for sure.

tv's 03 said:
What BS, a cobra would whip that heavy car

Duh!!! Everyone knows the Cobra is invincible and can't be beat by any car. And everyone knows that everyone who buys a Cobra is highly trained race car driver. Thus, a lowly 300C SRT-8, which runs low 13's to high 12's stock, could never possibly beat such a omnipotent automobile.

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
That wasn't an 04 Cobra, but possibly an 01. The wing was different, he had side skirts (the GTs have them, but 03-04 Cobras don't) and I didn't hear the blower whine when he was heating up the tires or when he took off. The blower whine would've been easily heard if it was an 04 Cobra.

Dan SS2471

Established Member
Wish I could 'hear' the thing so I could comment. Sounds about 50/50 as to whether you guys think it's really a Cobra or not....I'd like to be able to comment on the 300 board and give them the facts. Not unlike most people's lack of knowledge about the SRT-8s here, the same is true about the 300 guys with regard to Mustangs.

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
HURTNEM said:
That wasn't an 04 Cobra, but possibly an 01. The wing was different, he had side skirts (the GTs have them, but 03-04 Cobras don't) and I didn't hear the blower whine when he was heating up the tires or when he took off. The blower whine would've been easily heard if it was an 04 Cobra.

The Mustang at the end of the video is totally different from the one that raced. The '03/04 Cobra driver didn't launch off of idle because he broke his rear end once and was lucky to have Ford pay for it. The next time it breaks it won't be covered. So basically the Cobra was peddled off the line before he floored it, thus that's why you saw the SRT-8 take the lead on the last two races.

Peace

Sharkster

Established Member
Anyone else hear what his RPMs are at launch and once he gets going. That blower should be SCREAMING and its not. Its as if he is not utilizing the full torque of that car. Ill hunt one down and well see what happens. :burn:

Sorry guess I should read the entire thread before posting a comment. Just saw the broke rear end and peddeling it off the line. I correct myself and answer my own question.

I will add this.... Look at the running boards!!

Last edited:

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
It definitly had a blower u could here the whine also it looked to me that the cobra won every race. Hard to judge with the taillights and at night but thats how it looked to me. It loked like he pulled away slowely not a huge lead but 1/2 car length ahead.

Users who are viewing this thread