Failed engine oil pressure switch

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
The guage moves. I dont put much faith in the stock oil pressure guage, I saw the DTC and figured there was a problem. For future know just to know information where is the oil pressure sender located at? Thanks for the quick reply.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
its located on the bottom of the oil cooler adapter which is right by the filter.

cobraracer46

Banned
If the engine is not running, the oil pressure sender code is not valid. Keep in mind that when it comes to running on demand computer tests, certin opertating conditions must be met befor the test is run to avoid generating invalid codes.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Yup, if your factory gauge moves, the switch is working properly.

...but if your POS factory oil pressure gauge DOES fail, it's most likely a bad switch/sender unit (located next to oil filter). Mine went bad, so I replaced it with p/n 1U5Z-9278-DA. Thank god I was running an aftermarket oil pressure gauge. LOL

I found this reference the Bullitt Archive website, linked below:

http://www.bullittarchive.com/html/modules/articles/article.php?id=115

Main site: http://www.bullittarchive.com/html/

Listed under "Special Service Messages:"

R&R oil pressure switch F8AZ-9278-DA with 1U5Z-9278-DA
Some 1999-2001 Range, Explorer/Mountaineer, Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis Town car, Mustang, F-150, Super_duty F-series, F650/750, Expedition/Navigator, E-series and Excursion may exhibit the oil pressure gauge registering low or no oil pressure usually on initial start-up after several hours of cold soak. Verify the gauge/wiring are functioning properly and verify the engine does have proper oil pressure. To service replace existing oil pressure switch F8AZ-9278-DA with 1U5Z-9278-DA. If any engine oil was lost during removal and installation refill to t appropriate oil level requirements reference your appropriate workshop manual fo rcomoplete service procedure.

Erick

Established Member
The gauge is worthless. From what I've been told, it reads normal if it's above 6psi. If the gauge actually worked, it would fluctuate w/ rpm. Get a reptuable aftermarket gauge if you're concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread