I was told I can't put Nitto DR's on...bullsh*t

YellowCobra28

Established Member
Check it out guys. I wanted to put 315/35/17 on my stock OEM rims 17x9, and the tire guy advised against it. He said the 315/35-17 Nitto Drag Radial mounted onto 17x10.5 wheels for the rear should provide the traction that you are looking for. The lag bolt on the rear will need to be grinded down or changed out in order for proper tire clearance(use Steeda round bolts). He said installing the 315/35-17 onto the OEM 17x9.0 wheels is not recommended and would not be beneficial due to compression of the sidewalls and crowning of the tire. :bs: Has anyone used 315 nitto dr's on your oem 17x9 stock rims??? Whats your opinion on this. Curious canucks want to know.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
YellowCobra28 said:
Check it out guys. I wanted to put 315/35/17 on my stock OEM rims 17x9, and the tire guy advised against it. He said the 315/35-17 Nitto Drag Radial mounted onto 17x10.5 wheels for the rear should provide the traction that you are looking for. The lag bolt on the rear will need to be grinded down or changed out in order for proper tire clearance(use Steeda round bolts). He said installing the 315/35-17 onto the OEM 17x9.0 wheels is not recommended and would not be beneficial due to compression of the sidewalls and crowning of the tire. :bs: Has anyone used 315 nitto dr's on your oem 17x9 stock rims??? Whats your opinion on this. Curious canucks want to know.

You're tire guy is abosolutely right. It's nice to see that there are still some out there that know what they are talking about.

The contact patch from a 275 Nitto on a 9" rim is greater than that of a 315 Nitto on a 9" rim.

People seem to think that since the tire is capable of being attatched to the rim, it fits. Bigger is not better in this scenario.

Listen to your tire guy. He knows what he is talking about.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
That's not what he wants to hear....

He wants to hear what he wants to hear and he'll do it.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
315 nittos fit the stock rims, but even Nitto doesn't recommend it. BUT - a *LOT* of people do it and they have NO problems whatsoever.

I went with the 10.5 rims with the nitto 555R 315's per Nittos specs. I had to shave the IRS bolt 1/2" and use a 1/4" inch wheel spacer on each side to clear the IRS bolt if the suspension were to unload to avoid popping a tire.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
YellowCobra28 said:
He said installing the 315/35-17 onto the OEM 17x9.0 wheels is not recommended...
For every brand of 315 tire out there (except Nitto), I would agree with your tire guy.

However, it's common knowledge that Nitto 315s are more narrow than any other 315 available (about as wide as a 285 BFG or Goodyear). See the chart below.

Nitto 315s will fit on a 9" wheel without the sidewalls rolling in horribly. Put Nitto 315s on a 10.5" wheel and they almost look too small.

As far as the contact patch being no better than 275s...hopefully someone on here who has actually run both 315s and 275s can chime in.

TIRES.gif

315_Nittos.jpg

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
I just bought the 315s for my stock rims, the guy said they only fit an 11" wide rim. I told him that many people were running this set up on Cobras and he said that if it is working I may as well go for it.

Do I need to shave any bolts or bushings to put these on? Spacers? Or just mount and go?

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Top_Fuel said:
As far as the contact patch being no better than 275s...hopefully someone on here who has actually run both 315s and 275s can chime in.

I have 2 friends, one with a 315 Nitto on a 9" and the other with a 275 Nitto on a 9", they both do a burnout and there is more contact from the 275.

315_Nittos.jpg

I do not understand how people can look at that picture and say they fit fine. They do not fit fine. Simple as that.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
They fit, just not like the way they are supposed to :rollseyes

BreBar21 said:
I have 2 friends, one with a 315 Nitto on a 9" and the other with a 275 Nitto on a 9", they both do a burnout and there is more contact from the 275.

315_Nittos.jpg

I do not understand how people can look at that picture and say they fit fine. They do not fit fine. Simple as that.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
ChicagoMike said:
They fit, just not like the way they are supposed to :rollseyes

Exactly. They can be physically fitted around the rim, but they are not meant to be on there. It's the same as saying they fit, but they don't really fit.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Top_Fuel said:
For every brand of 315 tire out there (except Nitto), I would agree with your tire guy.

However, it's common knowledge that Nitto 315s are more narrow than any other 315 available (about as wide as a 285 BFG or Goodyear).

Exactly.....

Easy

Live Fast Die Fun
Established Member
so if i wnated to get some BFG drag radials in 285/35/17 for my rear rims, technically according to that chart they will be unsafe?

Slow04Cobra

ROLL TIDE
Established Member
BreBar21 said:
315_Nittos.jpg

That doesn't look much bigger than the factory supplied f1's.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Just be aware that BFG and Goodyear 315s are almost a full inch wider than Nitto 315s. If you try to put them on a 9" wheel, this is what it will look like:

attachment.php

attachment.php

YellowCobra28

Established Member
I read everyones suggestions. Damn you all have very convincing arguments as to the Nitto DR's on a stock rim. I think I will go with a Nitto 275/35/17 drag radial or maybe I will screw the whole idea with DR's and put on Nitto 285/35/17 555 extremes. I hear they have the best contact patch in the business, and they cost as much as a 315 dr. I just need a tire that will handle about 525rwhp, maybe upto 575-600rwhp, with a shot of nitrous :rockon: , but thats a whole other topic. :wf:

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
YellowCobra28 said:
I read everyones suggestions. Damn you all have very convincing arguments as to the Nitto DR's on a stock rim. I think I will go with a Nitto 275/35/17 drag radial or maybe I will screw the whole idea with DR's and put on Nitto 285/35/17 555 extremes. I hear they have the best contact patch in the business, and they cost as much as a 315 dr. I just need a tire that will handle about 525rwhp, maybe upto 575-600rwhp, with a shot of nitrous :rockon: , but thats a whole other topic. :wf:

Cool. You're making a smart choice. FWIW, you seem to have a good tire guy, so I would listen to him. :beer:

PS, if you want some big meats on the rear, pony up for some 10.5's.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
I have a spare set of stock wheels with the 315 nitto's on them. No problems at all. When I need new DR's I'm getting 275/40/17 MT drag radials. MT>BFG>Nitto's

Users who are viewing this thread